Topic: Wrencher in Oakland looking for Norcal team

Hello folks,
  I'm a long time fan of the Lemons programs after first reading about them when I moved out to CA.  I even attended last years "Arse-Sweat" race at Thunderhill just to see what it's really all about. I think my gf and I may have been the only people at the track not affiliated with a team, but we didn't care as it was so fun just to watch.. :-) 

I've been wrenching for almost 24 years now (30 if you count RC cars and bicycles....) and prefer to do my own work on most things when time and space allow.  My first real garage experience was when I was taking a year off from Mechanical Engineering school (I ended up in Accounting) and apprenticed at a Porsche repair shop in Massachusetts when I was 19-20. What started off as just cleaning tools and sweeping floors ended up doing oil changes and brake jobs on 911's and helping the master mechanics drop engines out of race cars.  I even got to be on the pit crew (behind the wall only) of a privateer race team at the 1998 24 hours of Daytona.  My personal objects of wrenching have been the following:

1987 Mustang LX 5.0
1985 VW GTI
1985 911
1969 Mustang
1992 Miata
1985 MR2
1986 Crown Vic
1993 Taurus SHO
1998 BMW 328i
2000 Boxster S
2000 Cherokee
2003 VW GTI
1996 911

Also, while I've never tackled anything like an engine or transmission rebuild, I'm very comfortable with maintenance, brakes, and suspension work.

While I wouldn't expect to be a driver at first, I'd ultimately like to get behind the wheel of something and as far as track experience, I've completed a 1-day Skip Barber course (open wheel cars) at Lime Rock, have done a few auto-crosses (SCCA and PCA), and one Driver's Ed event at Laguna Seca. 

Anyways, I'd love to find a team in the Bay Area (hopefully Oakland, SF or East Bay) to join and help out however possible.

Thanks,
   Peter

Re: Wrencher in Oakland looking for Norcal team

If you make it to Thunderhill this weekend stop by the #44 VW Jetta and say hi. Our car lives in Dublin, but I live in Berkeley.

Jeff

#44 VW Jetta "Ira Roth Be Damned"
Sears Pointless '17 (B)
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top
'16 Vodden the hell are we doing? (C) '15 & '16 Arse-freeze-apalooza (B)

Thanks for the invite but I will be out of town elsewhere this weekend.  Will keep an eye out for you guys in the future though!

bikejeff wrote:

If you make it to Thunderhill this weekend stop by the #44 VW Jetta and say hi. Our car lives in Dublin, but I live in Berkeley.

Jeff

Are you able to do the Buttonturrible race?
If so I got a car you can wrench on and drive at the race.
Shit ! If you got a tow vehicle you could take it to the track !

Text or call me
Chris Overzet
925-382-1058

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

Are you able to do the Buttonturrible race?
If so I got a car you can wrench on and drive at the race.
Shit ! If you got a tow vehicle you could take it to the track !

Text or call me
Chris Overzet
925-382-1058

Thanks for the invite, but I won't be in town for that, sorry!

Peter

404-229-6227

Hi Peter - sounds like we're in a similar boat and even have a similar backstory: I took some time off college to train as a technician at a Bentley/Rolls-Royce shop in MA. If nothing comes up we should think about starting a team.