Topic: Battery Box

We are going to relocate our battery to the hatch area of our car (inside the passenger compartment) so we need a battery box. Looking for suggestions...  thanks

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Re: Battery Box

Go to any auto parts store, or Wal-mart for that matter, and pick up a plastic "marine" battery box in a size that fits your battery.  They usually come in two sizes.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Rule 3.G.2: ...Batteries located in, or visible from, the passenger compartment must be sealed-type or contained in a sealed battery box.
My suggestion is use an AGM or other sealed battery and forget the box. A box is a PITA if you need to access the battery during the race. Also, even in a box,  the battery still has to be mounted securely. Wallymars-type boxes aren't sealed.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

And yet the Walmart Marine battery box we have run for 6 years has never been questioned by Lemons or NASA and lots of other cars run them too

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

And yet the Walmart Marine battery box we have run for 6 years has never been questioned by Lemons or NASA and lots of other cars run them too

/agree

We just have a basic plastic battery box mounted in the trunk. Never had a problem getting through tech with it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

More important is that the battery and box are securely attached to the car and no the nylon strap that comes with the box is not adequate in a roll over situation.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

7 (edited by gunn 2017-08-28 11:14 AM)

Brett85p wrote:

More important is that the battery and box are securely attached to the car and no the nylon strap that comes with the box is not adequate in a roll over situation.

Yes, I remember this came up and this was the brought up before.
Ours is the Walmart battery box.
- The box is bolted to the floor of the vehicle.
- We fabricated metal brackets that clamped the battery through the box to the floor of the vehicle.
- Any excess room in the box was taken up with wooden blocks (it's solid).
- We do have a nylon strap but that is merely to hold the plastic lid on top.

I found that it also helped to fabricate more than one ground cable for the battery (one clamp but leads to multiple different spots on the body) to insure a quality ground.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

We use a plastic bin from Menards...with a very robust metal strap retainer.

bumping this for clarification.

my battery is mounted in the trunk of our Sentra as seen here.

https://i.imgur.com/edNfEI5.jpg

my plan is to make a bulkhead to close off the trunk area from the passenger compartment. I assume this satisfies the rule since it is no longer visible? Do I have to make a bulkhead for the shelf where the speaker were mounted and cover those holes?

Thanks!

Georgethefierce wrote:

bumping this for clarification.

my battery is mounted in the trunk of our Sentra as seen here.

https://i.imgur.com/edNfEI5.jpg

my plan is to make a bulkhead to close off the trunk area from the passenger compartment. I assume this satisfies the rule since it is no longer visible? Do I have to make a bulkhead for the shelf where the speaker were mounted and cover those holes?

Thanks!

You don't need a bulkhead for the battery, but if you are planning on a fuel cell back there then you should go ahead with it.

A bulkhead doesn't remove the need for a battery box, the box is to contain acid spills and protects the terminals from possible short circuit and subsequent fire.

No cell, so we're good here. My thought is....

Rule 3.G.2: ...Batteries located in, or visible from, the passenger compartment must be sealed-type or contained in a sealed battery box.

the bulkhead now means the battery isn't located in the passenger compartment....the reason to avoid a battery box is that my mount is fairly tight around the battery and I like how strongly it is mounted, I would rather not redo it.

Georgethefierce wrote:

No cell, so we're good here. My thought is....

the bulkhead now means the battery isn't located in the passenger compartment....the reason to avoid a battery box is that my mount is fairly tight around the battery and I like how strongly it is mounted, I would rather not redo it.

Ok so I guess it's no different from being under the hood or in the trunk in a factory location, I would still be more comfortable with a box around it but as long as the terminals are covered you should be fine at tech.

I run a lead acid battery in the passenger compartment. It’s enclosed in an old plastic tool box. If you really like your mount, just find some kind of box big enough for it. Toolbox, an old microwave oven, a mop bucket with a lid...

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

14 (edited by darkostoj 2019-07-13 06:41 PM)

I ran an optima behind the passenger seat on the floor with this mount.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-owr6ghz/products/4913/images/8598/183_optima_battery_2___81987.1480755991.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I really like it because the battery is easily accessible and there is no strap on the top.  I got the OK from tech on the mount, and went through tech a few weeks ago with no problem. It is very solid.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

What someone says they get away with and what the rules state are two different things. 

The minimum is 15 pieces of flair, and if you have 15 that's fine, if you just want to do the minimum.....

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

-SDR- wrote:

What someone says they get away with and what the rules state are two different things. 

The minimum is 15 pieces of flair, and if you have 15 that's fine, if you just want to do the minimum.....

Bill

I emailed John Pagel, he said it was OK. He is tech law so I am OK with that.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Not choosing sides here, just sharing my experience.

I wanted to use the STOCK battery mounting, which was a SINGLE metal base clamp and a SINGLE bolt and the other side of the battery slid under a metal lip which substitutes for the second clamp in the aftermarket mount pictured.

I was told by Pagel in person while I was in tech, "I need to see a metal strap over that battery."

Me: "It's the factory mount, it's a metal wedge"

"i don't care that it's a metal mount. The battery is plastic. That's a 40lb battery full of acid. I don't want a 40'lb projectile flying around on my track when you get hit and the plastic battery case breaks or flying around under your hood arcing out and causing a fire. I want a metal strap over that battery. Now get out of my face."

YMMV

The metal mount above will only work with an Optima type sealed batttery, which is likely safer than a lead-acid type. From experience, I know it's certainly superior in terms of longevity and cranking power (ran one for years) and I suspect the "six pack" case design is also stronger than an ordinary battery... might ave something to do with the approval.

I run the Optima in a factory battery tray/mount, with a parts-store battery hold down added to placate the tech gods. With two independent hold-downs I don't think it's going to move...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)