Topic: Windshield install

Working on our Lancia Afart for Buttonwillow, and need to install the windshield. We've got the Lexan, and will be cutting to size, but once we've got the correct-shaped windshield, what's the best option for attaching to the car? I know that pop rivets and sealant is one option, but also heard plenty of times about tabs or clips, which I'm struggling to identify. What are they, where do I get them and how to do they work?

Re: Windshield install

On our Merkur, we zapped a piece of steel stock (probably 1"w x 1/8") top to bottom on the center of the windshield to keep the Lexan from bowing in on the driver compartment. We then used a series of welded on tabs around the perimeter of the windshield wit the lexan drilled for 1/4-20 bolts with fender washers and nylock nuts. No problems with tech, but YMMV.

If you're installing it in the original hole, get some SikaFlex 1A and glue it it.
On the Skunk SHO I added a few little aluminum tabs to hold the glass
in should the car pressurize the cabin in a spin. Probably, totally unnecessary.
Our current Merkur just has SikaFlex holding it in.

Polycarbonate may require a center support. Put a little foam weatherstripping on
the support to prevent rubbing on the polycarbonate.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

On the Skunk SHO I added a few little aluminum tabs to hold the glass
in should the car pressurize the cabin in a spin.

Did you fabricate tabs yourself, or is that something I can get off the shelf?

I just fabbed some from 1" x .187 aluminum cut to about 2.5". Nothing special.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Installing Rivnuts in the sheet metal around the windshield is a quick way to install the "tabs".
On an old race car that I used to work on. We just lined the place where the windshield sat with closed cell weather striping and then installed tabs to hold it in place. As for internal support I would have at least 3 bars across the space. 3/4 inch square steel tubing is best as it's much stiffer then flat bar.  The thicker the Lexan the better as it will hold it's shape better. I wouldn't use less than 1/4 for a windshield.

You just take some flat stock and make tabs. Like what delinquent said. Just cut a piece and drill a hole in it.