Re: Looking to Start, weighing options

I'll have to see where we end up if we do go to Gingerman next month. Maybe he'll be more willing to run an awd car instead of three golf. I might have to post the Ghia's ad so another more ambitious team can try to swipe her.

I vote for the Ghia, but my team runs a 1969 Rover, so....

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Does the SVX have the AWD disable like my wife's outback does? Worse that happens is you pull the fuse and pull the driveshaft then you'll be on par with the Solaras and 3000GT/Stealths. Big heavy trying to be sporty FWD.

Believe me, your head gaskets will probably fry WAY before the AWD system takes a dump.

And you know deep in your heart that a car you know, and also happens to be a Lemons Unicorn, is the right way to go.

Unless you have unlimited resources, assume at least a year to year and 1/2 to fully collect a team. It took me 3 but that was in too poor to pay attention Cleveland, and we still are making due with only three members. Paradoxically it's easier to lure potential suckers in once the car is done. But even then people flake like nuts.

Also good luck with sponsorship. Summit gave me a sheet of stickers for free, that's the best you get in $500 crap can racing.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

29 (edited by SubaruTome 2017-09-14 05:15 PM)

It does have the FWD fuse. It still needs a transmission anyway, but I can get it for well under the allowed $500. Once that's done, the driveline should be near bulletproof. The EG33 is a much more robust motor than the EJ25, too, so given the miles mine has, it's more likely to eventually need a water pump gasket or cam seals.

We shouldn't have too much of an issue finding people where we are, since we're an engineering college with our own mini racing teams. The interest is there, we just have to show the right people we're serious enough.

30 (edited by OnkelUdo 2017-09-14 03:59 PM)

SubaruTome wrote:

I'll have to see where we end up if we do go to Gingerman next month. Maybe he'll be more willing to run an awd car instead of three golf. I might have to post the Ghia's ad so another more ambitious team can try to swipe her.

If you come to Gingerman, look up the row of the Dustbuster minivan, Saturn and ecotec powered RX7 right near the timing tower.

The Saturn is run b a bunch of young engineers and they keep doing engineering things on it...also good networking.

The Dustbuster is run by my team and we have a token engineer, adorable dogs to pet and about 4 years experience under belts.  Plus I know almost all the veteran Midwest teams (look for the guy with out of control beard likely with a mini cigar).  We also have homebrewed beer and are organizing the Friday night potluck.

The RX7 is run by a weird Canadian who also claims he is an engineer but you can't trust any of those foreigners.

When in doubt as to where we are, look for the Saturn flag on top of a GIANT wedge trailer.

I'll be sure to look for them if we go! Sounds like a great way to figure out what money burning nonsense we're getting in to.

I've also just found a Fiero for right at $500. It looks rough, but I'd feel far less awful about bastardizing it than the SVX. Hell, bastardizing a Fiero is on my list of future projects.
https://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_xw0PEENzVE_1200x900.jpg

Maybe if I come in to possession of an SVX that's been totaled out by insurance over minor damages, I'll run it. But right now, I can't run a clean-titled one in good conscience. Plus selling it will help pay for required parts we'll need.

SubaruTome wrote:

I'll be sure to look for them if we go! Sounds like a great way to figure out what money burning nonsense we're getting in to.

I've also just found a Fiero for right at $500. It looks rough, but I'd feel far less awful about bastardizing it than the SVX. Hell, bastardizing a Fiero is on my list of future projects.
https://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_xw0PEENzVE_1200x900.jpg

Maybe if I come in to possession of an SVX that's been totaled out by insurance over minor damages, I'll run it. But right now, I can't run a clean-titled one in good conscience. Plus selling it will help pay for required parts we'll need.

Fieros have their place in Lemons...especialy those running the fabled Iron Duke.

They are a pain to work on.

Fwiw, we ran our first race in our "new" car this year. I got into Lemons via some friends that i rented a seat from. Had a blast and while we looked for goofy cars for a while i am very glad i went with a car that i knew a lot about. In fact, it was a similar situation to yours - i have owned a 318ti BMW for years and as a result knew a lot about how to set up, where the issues are, etc... AND, i didnt feel guilty for "getting hacky" on a car that would have gone to the crusher.

That karmann ghia is on my short list of cool future cars, though...

Good luck

Like and will bring a back up car to next race for hard to get parts.

gump wrote:
DelinquentRacer wrote:

Track-side fixes are always a bit easier if you've been intimate with the car, or her sisters.

LIKED

Lots of good advice here. I would suggest you choose the platform that you are most familiar with and which has readily available and interchangeable parts. Some of the most competitive teams run so-called 'unreliable' cars but they know them well and can address any weak points proactively. If you build from scratch your first goals for achieving reliability will be good brakes and cooling. Also, a lightweight car has many significant advantages, including being able to gain on the heavier, faster cars on the more technical parts of the track. There are always exceptions, but in general, an amateur or beginner driver will turn faster lap times in a lightweight, well-balanced car with good brakes and low to medium horsepower. The advice regarding identifying your goals is important, as some teams really enjoy driving a slow, obscure car around the track in pursuit of an IOE or a class C win. The judges love it, and a good time is had by all. However, it is important to understand that a car like this requires a skilled and patient driver...a driver who understands the track lines and can drive in the rear view mirror. I would argue that driving a class C car can be more difficult and frustrating than driving a Class A. I have seen many rookies in newly prepared Class A cars do some really stupid stunts around the slower Class C cars. It requires talent to maneuver a Class C car to the finish line without getting it damaged or destroyed. The Karmann Ghia will be an enormous amount of work. The rusty pans and exterior tells me that the entire car is rusty. Keep in mind that you will ultimately be swapping every single part underneath this car. (Assuming you race it more than one time) Brakes, shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, fuel lines, brake lines, transaxle...the list goes on. When these parts are rusted solid it makes the job enormously more complicated and time consuming. A clean rust-free car, or at least limited rust, will allow you to focus your time on more important things than freeing seized or rusted parts. The Ghia will also be difficult to cage and the air-cooled rear engine cars have been extremely challenging for teams to maintain. Tom Lomino from Farfrumwinnin has raced VW in the northeast for many years very competively. He is on the forum and would be a great resource. I believe his newest car is a Golf and proved to be very quick in its first outing in Thompson. I would also add that it will definitely cost you 5K to prepare a reliable car and you can often times find a well-prepared car from a former team for much less than that...

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.