Re: Most Overused Car Choice?

There's no need to overthink this. Anything with a two-stroke is fine.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Ok found this... NOBODY will deny you entry with this thing... https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld … 62390.html

Great Globs of Oil runs an old Opel GT already in the North East....not that the judges would complain about having two of them.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Ok found this... NOBODY will deny you entry with this thing... https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld … 62390.html

A couple already run.  I know the breadvan is repowered but do not know about tinyvette.

I ended up getting a ratty 98 Audi A4 Quattro for $250 today and I couldn't be happier to start ripping this thing apart!

adollarwodbnice wrote:

I ended up getting a ratty 98 Audi A4 Quattro for $250 today and I couldn't be happier to start ripping this thing apart!

good deal. I hope it works out for you. make sure you post up some pictures.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

adollarwodbnice wrote:

The list below is potentials for the build.

Subaru Outback / Legacy
Toyota Solara / Corrola / Celica
Dodge Stealth or Mitsu 3000GT (I owned a 3000gt for 5 years and never raced it... always wanted another one)
Saab 9-3
VW Rabbit / GTI / Golf... any diesel VW...
Ford Tempo
Volvo anything that runs and is AWD

Of that list:

- Subaru Outback / Legacy: These are fine. You will kill a head gasket or six, but they're otherwise perfectly fine.
- Toyota Solara / Corrola / Celica: Also all fine. The older, the better with Corollas and Celicas.
Dodge Stealth or Mitsu 3000GT (I owned a 3000gt for 5 years and never raced it... always wanted another one): Yeah, nah. You don't want that.
- Saab 9-3: These can be really great Lemons cars.
- VW Rabbit / GTI / Golf... any diesel VW... : These are also great.
- Ford Tempo: This is Class C/IOE greatness. We've only ever had one in Lemons and it wasn't awful. Find a V6/manual for maximum Tempo-ness.
- Volvo anything that runs and is AWD: These can be quick, but I don't think any have finished a race yet that I've been at.

Really, figure out what you want out of Lemons first. A good theme on any car can make up for a boring entry.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com