1 (edited by 1215 2017-09-16 05:03 AM)

Topic: Intro & a few n00b (car choice) questions

Been lurking for a while. I've wanted to put together a team & build a car for a couple years. Finally pulling the trigger and getting involved. I think I'm going to take the 'pay & drive' advice and try that for maybe this fall (if not too late) and next season. Then look to put together a team & car for the 2019 season.

Couple years back I did a bunch of autox and ran a spec e30 (old rules, convertible days) for a few seasons. Was fun in the beginning but I got burnt out. It was taking up all my time and got to be super expensive running two cars at the same time. So it's been a while but I have a bit of experience both seat time and I've build a few cars. I really miss being on the track but I want it to be fun this time. I don't want it to be all about the checkbook or the 'go fast' mods (cheating).

My first question is about my expectations. It looks like this is a really fun group of people. The whole theme/costume part of it got two of her girlfriends and a girl she works with interested... didn't plan it but BS inspection may be easier than I thought if the team ends up being stacked with boobs. So question #1 part 1 is: Is it really as fun as it looks? Then question #1 part 2 is about my timeline and driver experience. I did a bit of carting as a kid then after college (when I got a job and could write the checks) I raced non stop for about 4 years. I'm trying to recruit the guy I used to share the autox car with. If I can get him then we'll have two people with prior seat time (but I guarantee both our helmets are expired right now). The rest of them are car enthusiasts enough that they will drag their husbands to car shows or drive 2-4 hours to a track and watch races... But zero seat time ever. We are all older (we all have jobs and DINK or just having kids) so money isn't an issue in terms of gear or getting to events. I still have the old autox car. It's been sitting so it'll need sorting. That said, is one year enough time to get three people experienced enough that we can do the 2019 season? I'm worried about me being rusty behind the wheel.

edit: Coming back to this. My thought is that I'll get my autox car back running & safe this winter then we can spend next summer doing some autox events, open track days, etc. so they get seat time. Then we can also volunteer (even as non-drivers at first) for needy teams just to get a feel for the Lemons events, organizers, safety, tech, BS factor, etc. (also to get the girls as much seat time & experience as possible to make sure they really like it --and to make sure they don't put another car off the track)

Question #2 is about putting the team together. My thinking is we'll try a season and see how it goes. If everyone loves it then we'll look at a second season, possibly changing themes and go from there. I'm also thinking that a team of five or even six or seven would be ideal. We all have jobs, spouses, either kids or trying for kids, etc. If we all end up at a race we can figure it out but with 5+ people that allows life to happen, things to come up and people can bail. I'd rather have everyone going into it be on the same page and in it for the fun (worst case we'll get a second car if everyone shows up to every race) than be stressed & trying to make it to the track after half the team bailed. (not money but just bodies & physical help) So is that a decent line of thinking or am I off the mark?

Question #3 is about waivers. #3 part 1: We've been kicking around ideas for a theme but it would require a weight waiver. As a first-time entrant should I just accept that as a non-option and move on? It would be borderline overweight and nothing crazy. Something I'd expect that an experienced team to be granted no big deal but a new team maybe not. Along with the weight waiver, the vehicle would NOT be fast but it would be an awesome theme and a great new/first time team way to make an entrance. #3 part 2: Are there dollar amount waivers and also is it smart to show up to a first event with a heavy vehicle? My biggest concern is roll center and drive ability for the inexperienced --both for us, and for others because having something that heavy may mean that our lines are different and if they aren't expecting it... With regards to asking about a $$ waiver at our first event, it would only be in the instance for that one vehicle type. If we end up going with that, should we just show up, be honest and see what we get? (we aren't going to win our first event so I don't care if we start at -900 laps)

Question #4: BMWs and BS factor. I had a competitive spec e30 car for a long time. Means I have a TON of spare parts --everything from engines to gearboxes, diffs, suspension stuff, etc. How does it work with "stuff I already had"? I had a big storage unit full of a couple cars and shelves upon shelves of parts & motors. How you'd put a dollar amount on our old spare race motor that's been sitting (not even sure if it has oil in it or not, no holes/hoses plugged, etc.) for eight years? Same with springs, shocks, swaybars, etc. Forget about all that stuff --I have piles of old gasket sets, gasket materials, belts, etc. I have a big pile of metal (and delrin) and fabricating tools (all also roughly 8 years old). I read things when people talk about fat swaybars or shiny suspension bushings. Regardless of the vehicle we end up going with, if I have bars of aluminum stock that I can turn down into solid bushings (and I know about spring rates & suspension geometry). Will that come down to BS factor stuff or if we did a bmw what should we do for dollar values? Gosh I have a whole electronics bin with piles of stuff --enough to make custom ECUs & things. Should we start easy and just avoid all that stuff?

Question #5 (continued from #4): Just like I've been working on a team for a while, I've also been working on a couple cars. Old couple down the street from us has a V-12 jag that they stopped driving about 2 years ago. I've had my eye on a parked e36 for about a year, I also know of two bmw e21s (2-4-1 deal) that I can have for free I've also had my eye on a Volvo I might be able to get for free (or maybe $50). I guess in typing through this I'm really thinking that the weight waiver is probably a bad idea for a new team's first race. Problem is that leaves us in a spot where the 'usual' cars are cheap & easy to someone with a ton of fabrication skills. (I can probably build a cage better than I can drive.) I was thinking about picking up a car this fall, gutting it this winter and starting to sort through the engine & drivetrain. I don't even want to stay within the spirit of the rules --I want to black & white stay within the rules. That means I don't want to put 2 years worth of work into a car and then get -700 laps at BS if we did it legit.

#6: Are things like plywood, paint, decoration & costumes (for the car) considered into the $500?

If you read through all that I appreciate the time you spent reading. Hopefully someone has a few words of wisdom. I feel a lot more lost than I did my first day at a spec e30 event lol.

Thanks.

edit: the buyback thing. I read the rules. I'm not trying to cheat or be a dick but I've built cages & cars before. It's not cheap and I value my time. I also value my safety and the safety of everyone on the track. I don't want to put two years into a car and lose it our first weekend. I haven't gotten an answer on the suspension bushing stuff so I don't know. It won't cost me anything but time to turn down some aluminum bar stock into a solid bushing --or fab up some bracing, seam/stitch weld, etc.

edit #2: What all is counted in the $500? Spray paint? Welding wire? Grinding discs? Sandpaper?

Thanks again, sorry for so many questions. Just want to know what I'm getting into before I go down this road. I'm really not worried about the money part of it. Just don't want to spend the time and then have it turn out to be something different than we were expecting. Thanks.

Re: Intro & a few n00b (car choice) questions

To frame my response and make clear my ignorance: I got through most of it then started skimming then, well, read the rist and last words of each paragraph. But this is the internet-- I'm supposed to just have keyboard diarrhea and address my own issues instead of the ones you bring up.

So to make clear: It's not you, it's me.

My impression: You are overthinking this. And clearly, you believe you have a chance or performing well in the results standings.

If you want to perform well in the results, proceed as you are ... uh... proceeding. What I was able to retain from reading shows that you've got a good head on your shoulders and you'll be ok.

Lemons isn't particularly about performing well. It's more about "just do it". It's low risk, high reward motorsports entertainment. The more emphasis there is on motorsports, the more subjective the "entertainment" value is. Are you the type of person who enjoys watching 2+ hours of in-car footage of a car circling a racetrack, or are you the type who appreciates the "driver feature" clips and the paddock action shots? A lot of people would say you want a mix of both. Lemons leans more towards the "features" and "entertainment" than roundy-round.

My oft-overused description is, If you take a helicopter and plunk it on top of a mid-engine audi-powered toyota minivan that you're claiming is amphibious and then drive it into a lake: if it floats then you're a hero. If it sinks, you're still a friggin' hero.

If you take a Spec E30 and drive it into that same lake...

I leave that sentence unfinished because I'm not sure what the reaction will be. I'm waiting for someone to take me up on it.

If you're the type of person who is actually WILLING to drive your E30 into the lake, well then you WILL be applauded. If you're the type of person who would balk at the notion and call anyone who suggests that a series of ill-will-type terms, then maybe it's time to reconsider.

That said, is one year enough time to get three people experienced enough that we can do the 2019 season? I'm worried about me being rusty behind the wheel.

If people can take a 16 year old who has only had her license for 3 months and throw her into a racecar, or put someone behind the wheel of a right hand drive manual transmission car and push him out on a hot racetrack for his first attempt ever at driving a stick, I think a year of "prepping" others is too much time and you risk losing them to "life". Strike while the iron is hot. If you have to start the fire by rubbing 2 stick together and then convince them to go buy marshmallows, fin the perfect marshmallow stick, school them on the proper temperature of the center of the marshmallow and the perfect color of the outside of the marshmallow, they may get told by their doctors about 6 months into it that they are diabetic and all Marshmallows are out. Or North Korea shoots a missile over their house and they won't come out of the front door any more.

I'm also thinking that a team of five or even six or seven would be ideal...So is that a decent line of thinking or am I off the mark?

As you can read 500 times elsewhere, you'll lose likely 1/4 of the drivers you thought you had when it comes time to plunk down money and then likely another 1/4 when it comes time to show up to the event. Lemons knows this and requires the $ 10 weeks out and no refunds. There have been several teams that have shown up with 1 driver and an unfinished car at the track. Lemons is about what happens at the track once that one person demonstrates the bravery to show up with the unfinished car and zero drivers. as Nick says, "Deal whit it." and we do and you will, too.

Question #3 is about waivers.

As a first time, noob team I encourage you to not consider waivers as a viable option worth approaching. A Waiver is basically asking the organizer to take personal responsibility and place his kids, wife,house, and 401K on the line for you who is a total stranger who has not proven you have the ability to make it to the track yet. Proceed with a plan that does not involve waivers. Or, if that's the only thing that interests you (the waiver idea), come up with a complete plan on how you intend to insure the safety of the occupants and others at the venue while executing it. There is no waiving safety.

Should we start easy and just avoid all that stuff?

Yes

I want to black & white stay within the rules. That means I don't want to put 2 years worth of work into a car and then get -700 laps at BS if we did it legit.

Lemons is gray. The shade of grey / gray is determined by the people running the series. if you are one to argue over the shade of the grey, then you will have less fun than you could otherwise have.

#6: Are things like plywood, paint, decoration & costumes (for the car) considered into the $500?

Not if they don't make you go any faster.

edit #2: What all is counted in the $500? Spray paint? Welding wire? Grinding discs? Sandpaper?

Answered elsewhere in the forum. Easiest answer is it only matters if you care about finishing high up on the results at the end of the weekend. Bring whatever you want, spend whatever you want, and come have fun.

Welcome to the forum.

Spank knows the answers. A weight waiver? unless you are building a bulldozer you'll be fine. Some team even built a garbage truck, don't think they needed a waiver.

Get your friends energized and do it. Yes driving someonelses car is the most effective way to get started. Do it!
Pick a car, not the bmws, have fun. if its too new or too nice and you get some penalty laps the first time out who cares, You are racing with your friends. my teams couldn't care less about our placement. we just josh and goad each other on bettering our times or getting in and out of trouble all weekend. Have fun, get a fun theme going.
See you at the track.

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

Thanks for the replies spank and bikejeff.

Went back & re-read --well didn't read. Went back and said "holy crap I typed a lot, nobody's ever gonna read all that"

I think my questions (or maybe concerns) come from having only done (fairly) competitive racing. As a novice/beginner racer they'd run you maybe one class down or if in standard class you'd have a novice flag/sticker on your car, instructed not to interfere with lap traffic (traffic lapping you), etc. My concern with seat time and new drivers is safety. I understand "strike while the iron is hot" but I also understand what it's like to have a novice racer put you off the track because they don't know lines, corners, track etiquette, etc. I'm also used to a fairly high level of scrutiny --be prepared for engine teardowns, crazy tech, etc.

I just didn't want to be that guy or that team who shows up with a bunch of people who can't drive (boobs or not). But if that's OK or somewhat to be expected across all teams then I probably am overthinking it.

bikejeff:
Thanks for the reply. Two things. First, I don't care about placement at all. I don't want to go racing if it's all about writing checks to buy speed (and trophies). I want to do it for a good time because the crew I'm trying to put together won't like it any other way. Second, why no BMWs? I know, I've read all over there are tons of them, they are played out, etc. But also they are easiest, quickest & cheapest for me to cage and put together a sorted car. (just curious, I've been looking at some other cars too)

Spank:
Thanks for the reply. So the weight waiver vehicle I was asking about is a 1964 International Travelall ambulance. Sorry, says I have to write at least 2 posts to submit links. If you Google "1964 International Travelall ambulance" pics will come up quick. Thought it would be a cool theme to show up in a legit ambulance. Especially since the three girls are legit nurses. It's the long wheelbase travelall. I think it comes in well over 5,000# GVW, probably closer to 5200-5500#. The thing is old. Ran when parked in a field 20 years ago. I have a '76 Scout so I know my way around them a bit & have a decent pile of spares. Enough that I could probably get it running. It's a 3-spd automatic and I doubt it'll go over 65mph. My concern wasn't really rollovers or our driver --more that it's heavy as F and maybe the other teams might want to double check their cages just in case. Owner told me if I can get it out of his field I can have the ambulance and the International pickup sitting next to it. Just thought it might be cool so figured I'd ask.

If it's only a money/liability thing I'd be happy to talk to the organizers about an insurance rider (at my/our cost). That said, my bigger concern would be putting something like that on a track with all the other cars. Since brakes are in the unlimited budget category we could easily get the brakes sorted so it would stop --WELL. It's just that if it ever collided with anything else it would win.

Spank wrote:

If people can take a 16 year old who has only had her license for 3 months and throw her into a racecar, or put someone behind the wheel of a right hand drive manual transmission car and push him out on a hot racetrack for his first attempt ever at driving a stick, I think a year of "prepping" others is too much time and you risk losing them to "life". Strike while the iron is hot.

Got it. Point taken. As I said above, my concern was purely safety and for the other drivers more than our team. When you know your car and you know how to drive, you know your lines, the car's limits, etc. I don't know a think about Lemons. Maybe everyone, no matter how experienced you are, just assumes the other driver has no clue and could kill them so watch out. If one of our drivers makes a mistake or does something dumb/unpredictable, someone else could get hurt.

But if it's totally cool to just wing it and show up... Then we've got a couple really killer theme ideas, we're decent people, we'll have more girls than guys --and a couple of their husbands are legit chefs and can cook a mean BBQ. Just watch the F out for us on the track LOL.

Spank wrote:

Or North Korea shoots a missile over their house and they won't come out of the front door any more.

Nah. I seriously thought we'd be at war by now... But it'll be with China not him. Rumor has it we may have technology that can intercept and change a missiles guidance systems mid-flight. So essentially we can hijack it mid-flight, turn it around and have it land on whoever fired it. But that's strictly rumor. idk why Trump doesn't put his foot down and say that if he fires anything else we will consider it an act of war. Just call a spade a spade and be done with it. I digress and we need to be talking about burning the extra fuel we just sanctioned from N. Korea.

Spank wrote:

...you'll lose...drivers you thought you had when it comes time to plunk down money

I have read that everywhere. I'm a numbers guy. Facts and statistics don't lie however I planned on footing most of that bill. We are all older, own homes, etc. I was going to dust off the old autox car and see if I can get a track day or two before the snow falls. If they pony up and buy their own gear, the least I can do is pay their entry fees. After that it would be the time away from home/spouses and putting in enough time to just learn & drive the car a bit. If they buy the gear I think I have a team. If not I'll be posting to pay & drive shortly lol.

Spank wrote:

Lemons is gray. The shade of grey / gray is determined by the people running the series. if you are one to argue over the shade of the grey, then you will have less fun than you could otherwise have.

None of us are like that at all. I didn't like how spec e30 felt like it was more about writing checks than racing. They don't know any different. If I can throw together a team and we do it & enjoy it for the fun and shenanigans (and seat time is fun) then I feel like it'll be a win. I don't care about any of that crap. I just don't want to be the douche new guy.

Spank wrote:

Not if they don't make you go any faster.

3.J.5 Nerf Bars Not Allowed.

What about training wheels? I mean literally training wheels so the car doesn't flip over? (assuming it's done & engineered properly & safely) Is that a gre/ay area that might be scrutinized? So if we build a giant (whatever) around a car, does it all have to stay off the ground or can we use training wheels to keep the heap we build upright?

Spank wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! here goes nothing...

Yes, you are overthinking things a bit but thats okay.  These guys have covered most of it but I thought I'd fill in some blanks.  All those old parts you have laying around have to be accounted for at used retail prices (i.e. whatever you'd have to pay for them off ebay, craigslist, etc).  Riley & Scott tried to pull the old "well, this racebuilt 350 was under the bench when some customer didnt pick it up so its free, right?"  Nope, no free lunch.  If the V12 isnt a later 6.0, I wouldnt bother with it unless you like changing head gaskets a lot.  BMW E30/36s are super common so a spectacular theme is preferred but not absolutely necessary  (google Bavarian Ranchero or Lemons Homer for inspiration).  You already have a bunch of spares for that so it might be hard to completely discount the BMWs.  They like E21's.  Volvos have been amoung the most reliable cars in Lemons so if you wanted to increase your time on track, its worth considering.  The IH may or may not fly as far as a waiver goes.  I dunno if I'd do it as a first car.   No need to take a year to get track time, just jump in.  If you did well in karts, you'll be fine here.  Not sure autox buys you much other than technique but unfortunately that technique goes out the window in 70% of the corners as you will be passing or being passed while offline.  Is it fun?  Hell yes, its been the most fun I've had in motorsports in 30? years.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Hey, both those girls were 18!!! *chuckle*

I have your answer...put the IH ambulance sheet metal on the e30. I can almost guarantee instant HERO status.
BTW I'm not joking.

Re: Noob drivers...they show up all the time. What I told my girls was this, "Don't do anything unpredictable." I stressed maintaining predictable lines through corners, and watch your mirrors. My Lemons mantra for noobs is, "Drive your lane, not the 'line'."

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

cheseroo wrote:

Yes, you are overthinking things a bit but thats okay.  These guys have covered most of it but I thought I'd fill in some blanks.  All those old parts you have laying around have to be accounted for at used retail prices (i.e. whatever you'd have to pay for them off ebay, craigslist, etc).  Riley & Scott tried to pull the old "well, this racebuilt 350 was under the bench when some customer didnt pick it up so its free, right?"  Nope, no free lunch.  If the V12 isnt a later 6.0, I wouldnt bother with it unless you like changing head gaskets a lot.  BMW E30/36s are super common so a spectacular theme is preferred but not absolutely necessary  (google Bavarian Ranchero or Lemons Homer for inspiration).  You already have a bunch of spares for that so it might be hard to completely discount the BMWs.  They like E21's.  Volvos have been amoung the most reliable cars in Lemons so if you wanted to increase your time on track, its worth considering.  The IH may or may not fly as far as a waiver goes.  I dunno if I'd do it as a first car.   No need to take a year to get track time, just jump in.  If you did well in karts, you'll be fine here.  Not sure autox buys you much other than technique but unfortunately that technique goes out the window in 70% of the corners as you will be passing or being passed while offline.  Is it fun?  Hell yes, its been the most fun I've had in motorsports in 30? years.

Got it about the spares. Thanks. Some stuff I have doesn't sell (not desirable) so that'll make things interesting --but one thing at a time. Gotta get a team & car before I start thinking about values. One thing that's really interesting (that I'm curious why more people don't do) is buy a lot newer/more modern car and part it out. I'm seeing lots of 2004-2008 BMWs on my local CL in the $1,500-$2,500 range that I could easily part out (or 2-4-1 deals fix one & sell it) and get under the $500 limit. Wondering why more people don't do that... Is that why the whole "judges can buy your car for $500" thing exists?

I'm not really interested in the Jag. Don't know the cars well and probably couldn't make the budget with one. I think I may have found an e21 that **might** work... We'll see. If not, we may get an early model e46, screw the budget and do as DeliquentRacer suggests with putting the IH sheet metal onto the BMW.

Thanks. It's good to know it's that fun. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Spec E30 burnt me out so I'm not looking for that.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Hey, both those girls were 18!!! *chuckle*

Who us? I wish we/they were 18 lol. We are all getting old. The girls aren't quite droopy boob status (at some point gravity takes over) but none of us are getting any younger... Gettin old is fun!

DelinquentRacer wrote:

I have your answer...put the IH ambulance sheet metal on the e30. I can almost guarantee instant HERO status.
BTW I'm not joking.

OK I did some Googling and wow speedycop. That's a high mark to make that happen but we'll see. Would be really cool though. Man that speedycop guy is nuts. He can legit fabricate.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Re: Noob drivers...they show up all the time. What I told my girls was this, "Don't do anything unpredictable." I stressed maintaining predictable lines through corners, and watch your mirrors. My Lemons mantra for noobs is, "Drive your lane, not the 'line'."

That makes perfect sense. I just didn't want to put a team out on the track as complete noobs and then unless it was OK.

Well thanks everyone for the initial comments & replies. I guess I have a lot of homework to do so I can figure out exactly wtf I'll build. Maybe since wheelbase is such an issue I'll look for a 240 wagon... Do teams have better luck with the 4spd manual + OD gearboxes or the slushboxes? And the 4-cyl NA or turbo motors? Thanks!

Maybe one more question. Does the underlying car have to be somewhat together? Like if I get an e30 or volvo wagon and put a truck body on it, can I pull the hood & fenders off the inside body (mostly for weight & roll center) and do things like chop the roof off or does the inside car need to stay pretty much the inside car? Thanks.

1215 wrote:

Thought it would be a cool theme to show up in a legit ambulance. Especially since the three girls are legit nurses

If the nurses show up in the skimpiest "naughty nurse" costumes you can find, and flirt with Judge Phil (drag him into the back of the ambulance?), you will be loved!   Take that idea and run with it.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

What he said about putting that ambulance body on the BMW. That would be awesome. Themes tell the judges you gonna be alright, sportiness and go fast parts tell them you are taking it serious and thats fine but it raises flags.
Our first car was an automatic subaru, shifts weren't super precise and we had heat issues that lead to shift issues which were eventually alleviated with an extra transmission cooler. Won't blow up a motor quite as easily with the auto as you can with the stick so thats good for getting started. Also make sure there's a clock in the drivers line of sight. We had a guy just go out and completely lose track of time and eventually he came it but the rest of the team wanted to tie him to the bumper after that.
You are asking all the right questions and are headed in the right direction.Can't wait to see what you bring to the track.

Where's home and which race are you targeting?

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

1215 wrote:

It would be borderline overweight and nothing crazy. Something I'd expect that an experienced team to be granted no big deal but a new team maybe not.

1215 wrote:

So the weight waiver vehicle I was asking about is a 1964 International Travelall ambulance.

A couple of years ago HQ rejected my request for a weight waiver on a fourth-generation Travelall, despite my experience. Or, come to think of it, perhaps precisely because of their knowledge of my experience. Hmmm...

Admittedly a third-generation example is inherently more interesting and the fact that it's an ambulance may help, so it's probably worth asking but don't get your hopes up too much. If they do approve, personally I'd rather see it on the track stock than see its body grafted onto a BMW, although mine may be a minority opinion here.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Home is the little(st) state. Tracks... Well, Louden, Thompson and NJ. SC and MI are about the furthest we'd travel. As to which event we are targeting... I have no clue. I was sitting back taking my sweet ass time thinking I'd get a car this fall, gut it & let it sit so I can finish with the car that's currently in the garage on a rotisserie. You guys just moved the time frame up substantially lol. I'm going to need to find a car ASAP to have any shot at making an event for next summer. I don't do the whole "throw a cage in it & go racing in 3 months" thing. Between work and other projects going on it'll probably take me six months from when I drag a heap back to the house. If I do something crazy like the IH body on an e30 it'll take longer.

bikejeff wrote:

Themes tell the judges you gonna be alright, sportiness and go fast parts tell them you are taking it serious and thats fine but it raises flags.

Yeah I don't really care so much about go fast parts right now. If I cheat it'll be on reliability so we can get seat time. I'm pretty realistic about a team of n00bs and the last time I sat in a caged car was probably 15 years ago. We don't need go fast parts and a little body roll never hurt anyone with noobs. Last thing we need is for someone (probably me cause I'd be thinking 'I got this... just like riding a bike') to love the feeling of a car on rails and come charging into a corner or chicane inside 3 cars...

To add to the "a little body roll never hurt anyone" comment: Delrin and aluminum stock are cheap. Can aluminum be counted at spot price if turned down into bushings? (or better yet we'll dig up some old delrin somethingorother at a scrap yard for $0.25. idk what we'll end up doing because hanging that much metal off of an e30 will be like the grinch making that little dog drive the sleigh up the mountain. I think maybe a merc 300TD or a Volvo 240 wagon would be better suited (wheelbase). Maybe I'll be able to find an e34 touring.

13 (edited by 1215 2017-09-17 07:35 PM)

mharrell wrote:

If they do approve, personally I'd rather see it on the track stock than see its body grafted onto a BMW, although mine may be a minority opinion here.

Yeah that was my thought too. I was thinking that the thing probably won't go over 65. Maybe it'll hit 80... no. it's a 304 with 3spd auto. It'll go 65-70mph max. So my thought was it's slow, solid, HUGE, etc. and if we lower it... But then again, the thing is so big that if anything were to happen the other car/driver would lose and we are an extremely inexperienced team. But yes I 100% agree. I would also much rather see that on the track than see it grafted onto an e30.

Maybe I'll go drag it out of the field and see if its a viable vehicle. If it's a halfway decent/solid frame I might reach out to them and ask about a waiver. If I do ask, would references help? I've built a few Spec E30 & BMWCCA cars and never had issues with tech or other drivers on the track.

Honestly the more I think about this. Hmm... I'd be really interested to hear others opinions about this. I'd bet a waiver for a well sorted IH would be safer than grafting an IH onto something. I'm going to take a closer look at this. I bet I can guestimate roughly the extra weight from the IH and the metal required to graft it. Then add in a shorter and narrower wheel base --and the massive brakes & tires that would be required to stop that heap vs. just putting bigger brakes on the IH. I'd bet that #1 I'd get the IH running, wouldn't do shit to it after that and it would probably blow up pretty quick... and #2 even if it made it past 2-3 laps I bet it would have a lower roll center and be limited to much slower speeds therefore be safer. I'm actually very interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

edit: and #3 I'd bet that the grafted bmw version would end up weighing more than the stock curb weight of the IH... though it may be strictly an insurance thing. (in which case I've said I'd talk to the organizers about a rider for it)

Would it be worth asking this in a new thread?

Thanks!

As far as the later model BMW's go, you can have audited financial statements proving sub $500 and all that but you will still get laps.  Thats just the deal with later model BMWs.  My teammate bought a 230k mile E46 right here off this forum from somebody we didnt know for a legit $500.  I think it got 30 penalty laps its first race.  They do that to protect themselves from some sharpie running off with the race.  Remember, the judging is subjective.  Assuming it gets accepted  (some races sell out and they are more likely to put a late model BMW on the waitlist than a Vega.), you will turn laps but they will penalize you for the first few races until you show them you suck. There is a BMW Z3 that runs but they got shamed into rebodying it into a Trans Am Javelin.  Its well done but that's kind of what you need to do to avoid flak from the judges when you show up with a newer BMW.

http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/16-AMX.jpg

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

15 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-09-17 09:28 PM)

Here's the thing re the IH. Just ask Pagel. Show what you have built in the past and see. Worst that happens is he says no. Then you move on to plan B.

Understand, whether you make or buy Derlin or aluminum bushings, You'll pay for them with laps. One jump on a corner and the Judges will start planning penalty laps.

But here's the good part!

YOU WON'T WIN! Nobody does their first time. Unless you've done real endurance races before you don't have the team organization down yet to win. So don't worry about it. Come out race cars, have fun, worry about winning or if you even want to go through the backbreaking hassle of winning later.

Because here's the secret, The car doesn't win you the race, your paddock crew and organization does. Shoot for reliability and if your feeling flush put a 24 Gal fuel cell in that puppy and train everyone to not pee for three+ hour stints. That's how you win. Don't compromise comfort for speed you don't need.

Also go over the rules some more. They are dead simple for most things.

The vehicle’s original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds.

Doesn't say anything about as raced weight. But the lighter you make your insanity the less you'll kill the car.

Edit: because I don't think I saw these get answered:

The ONLY thing that counts for the $500 is ON THE CAR parts that are not part of safety exclusion. Shop consumables, fluids, duct tape, paint, grease, Go NUTZ!!! Fancy tubular A-arms, built motors, properly designed Turbo/Supercharger kits that's what gets in the $500 pain zone.

Also No training wheels are not OK. any sticky outy stuff has to be securely fastened to the car, or by judges decree removed on track. Something sturdy enough to actually keep a car from flipping will be a danger on the track. The best way not to flip on the track is not to over drive the car.

Or not have a miata stopped behind you get rear ended making it into a launch ramp....Free CoCo, assuming she ever bothers to race again...

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

YOU WON'T WIN! Nobody does their first time. Unless you've done real endurance races before you don't have the team organization down yet to win. So don't worry about it. Come out race cars, have fun, worry about winning or if you even want to go through the backbreaking hassle of winning later.

Because here's the secret, The car doesn't win you the race, your paddock crew and organization does. Shoot for reliability and if your feeling flush put a 24 Gal fuel cell in that puppy and train everyone to not pee for three+ hour stints. That's how you win. Don't compromise comfort for speed you don't need.

This...so this.  To add even more to this...the car outside of being reliable...is almost unimportant to the enjoyment and success of your first outing.  Often your second or third as well.

Get your team engaged (which also means paid).

Get the car to meet current Lemons tech requirements.

Get your personal safety.

Get to the track.

That is Lemons race #1 in a nutshell.

FYI, I manage the detail financials of very expensive projects for living.  I am a numbers guy to the core.  You have to step back from that a lot...Engineers even more so.  It is a great party where occasionally racing happens.  So care more about one than the other.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

This...so this.  To add even more to this...the car outside of being reliable...is almost unimportant to the enjoyment and success of your first outing.  Often your second or third as well.

Get your team engaged (which also means paid).

Get the car to meet current Lemons tech requirements.

Get your personal safety.

Get to the track.

That is Lemons race #1 in a nutshell.

FYI, I manage the detail financials of very expensive projects for living.  I am a numbers guy to the core.  You have to step back from that a lot...Engineers even more so.  It is a great party where occasionally racing happens.  So care more about one than the other.

Thanks for your comment. Makes a ton of sense and makes me feel a lot better. I'm a finance guy. I do a lot of higher math at work. Without getting into it I know my way around a spreadsheet same as I know my way around the NYSE. I thought I had made it clear that I hated the whole "winning=writing checks" part of spec e30 racing. I formed our team with a couple of my wife's girlfriends... That's the boob factor: wife's friends from high school & college. I don't want this to sound bad but money isn't a problem for us. I'm worried about the time and their inexperience.

It's an interesting process a n00b goes through. At first I'm like WTF no one can build a (safe) $500 car. Next "OK cool theme and I got this". Then "Oh shit... I can't game the system to win... they can buy my (not)POS for $500 at any time". Then... "fuck it. I don't care if they crush a $10k car or I start with -900 laps, let's do this and have fun". Now I'm trying to figure out how to make this happen. Again, not to even be competitive, just to not break and so we can get seat time and have fun. Actually, do judges ever give $500++ residual values so if we sort a team on a decent car we'll have to scramble (or build new)?

All of us will have individual full gear. All of us will also pay. I am very capable (and confident) of being able to meet tech and would run the car by people in bmwcca that I trust as sanity checks. Car doesn't get loaded on the trailer unless it'll pass. Cheaper to burn the entry fee than to burn the travel & event fees. Been there & done that. Car doesn't get loaded on the trailer unless it's done. Period.

In our minds, we just want to HAVE FUN (and go racing). And we want to scour the USA and find the biggest POS heap in the country and show up with it. Next we want reliability & seat time (before theme)... Then we want a theme & fun... Then we want our spouses not to hate us... Then 50 other things and somewhere down the list is not coming in last.

I think the other thing is I either already own much of the gear or the prices don't phase me. Radio/communication stuff I have and I assumed a big fuel tank.

That's why I initially assumed we would need a year getting ready before we were racing as a team. Now everyone seems to be saying just throw it up on a wall and see if it sticks...

So to be concise...the steps I listed above take most teams 6 months to 2 years to get to and they loose 50-75% of their original members in that time.  Others were more subtle about it...I am not.  Stop talking, reacting, etc and start listening.

Unless your process is about building the car, the faster you get to the track, the more likely you are to get there with a team that is close to what you envisioned it would be when you started.  It still will take you 3-6 months if you start with a tech legal car.

And yes, I know your situation is different.

I'm going to try and outline this clearly and kindly.

You are missing the points on a lot of this stuff. Lemons, at it's heart, is a way for the average Joe to go racing as cheaply as possible, while understanding that cheap is relative. The point is to keep the playing field somewhat level and not let it become a battle of the bank accounts. The next important part is it needs to be fun. The organizers don't want a bunch of spec racer jerks who are going to argue the rules all the time (and they are good at making those types feel unwelcome back). What they want is a bunch of people that are fun to be around, creative, respectful, and interested in keeping the series in line with their intended goals.

So, with that stated, let's walk through some of what you've brought up.

Car choice. what the organizers want is a bunch of odd weird old cars that should never be on a race track. But they want them to be safe. So there are weight and wheelbase restrictions. However they understand we want to go fast, so if you bring a common cheaty BMW or miata, they want a damn good theme to prove you are in fact fun to be around. (and they do not want you arguing at BS inspection with their rulings). There are four common categories that most (but not all) people fall into.
1. You pick a car you know. Maybe it's that you used to race spec e30. or you've just had saabs all your life. Or you owned an old focus and just know it in and out. Whatever the case you know the car and you know how to fix it's week spots. So you pick that car and then figure out how to do it in budget and with a theme.
2. You pick a car at random and brute force your way though learning it. I did this. I picked a doge daytona because of reasons and spent a couple years learning how to make it slightly less terrible. Doing this forces you into category 1 after a while because you come to learn the car so well.
3. You go for the purposely weird. This is what wins you IOE (the real winner of Lemons). You pick something that should never have been on a track, ever, and make it do halfway well. This is where Heros are born.
4. you pick something that you think lets you sneak in and DOMINATE. Usually these are the teams that buy something modern and sporty thinking they're going to run away with the race. Like a modern BMW, or modern V8 merc, or a GTO. you know what happens to these teams? They do poorly.
Decide where you want to be. Do you want to show up and have a good time turning laps and partying? Go with 1. Do you want to learn, do fun things, maybe turn no laps, and maybe be a hero with your repairs? go with 2 or 3.

Themes. I get that you've latched onto boobs. It's been made clear. But truly great themes take effort and creativity. Showing up and pressing boobs into the judges faces will not make them ignore the fact that you brought a spec E46. How do you get things like e36 M3s into Lemons? You turn them into a garbage truck and spend the weekend helping collect trash.
http://www.roadkill.com/arizona-d-bags- … s-winners/
Good themes take creativity more than anything. Take a look at 3 Pedal Mafia for an example of a team that can pull off excellent well thought out themes over and over again.

Now let's talk BS inspection. There are two sides to BS inspection. First, it make sure people aren't cheating too badly. Second, to setup a good level playing field for that particular race. We'll tackle point 1 first. Recall what I said the main point of Lemons is. To be an affordable racing series. That gets ruined if the norm becomes everyone buying $2500 BMWs and cooking the books to make them look like $500 cars. BS inspection serves to discourage that and keep everyone looking at older more affordable cars. At the same time it fights performance creep. Teams that have been around a long time slowly make their cars faster and faster, inching that performance gap up and up. BS serves to take some of that out. Top teams may get a couple penalty laps to keep those teams in check with the rest of the field. This keeps the overall winner from blasting everyone away with a 20 lap lead every time.

Now the second part. Every race has a different field of cars and teams. The job of the judges is to setup 3 classes with some good competition. This is not easy. But they want all classes to have their own battles so that winning those classes feels like an accomplishment. If the winner of B is coming in 2nd overall, they didn't do a good job. New teams are harder to judge, because there is no past data. So if you show up with an e30, you're going in A until you prove you're not good at all. Once you get some races done you can argue to move up or down into a competitive place for your team.  If you're a jerk, or you argue with their decision, you're getting a harsher placement. If you work with them to prove that you're really hopeless and didn't cheat, you're getting a better placement. BS inspection is less to punish you and more to make the overall race fair and fun. Bribes and themes just add to the entertainment factor of that goal. Understand that and you'll go far.

So, where should you start as a new team. First, go to a damn race. Walk around, observe, talk to people, watch tech inspection and BS inspection. This will teach you far more than arguing here. Then, decide which category you want to fall into when it comes to cars. Pick your car and build it. Realize that your team may not follow you once you start asking for money. Figure out how to deal with it. Read the rules, several times, and build a car that meets them. Get a car to a race with a team and accept that you still have a learning curve to go through. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Everyone has been through different experiences and has something to offer that can and will help you. Try to have some fun instead of overthinking everything.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I'm going to try and outline this clearly and kindly.

You are missing the points on a lot of this stuff. Lemons, at it's heart, is a way for the average Joe to go racing as cheaply as possible, while understanding that cheap is relative. The point is to keep the playing field somewhat level and not let it become a battle of the bank accounts. The next important part is it needs to be fun. The organizers don't want a bunch of spec racer jerks who are going to argue the rules all the time (and they are good at making those types feel unwelcome back). What they want is a bunch of people that are fun to be around, creative, respectful, and interested in keeping the series in line with their intended goals.

So, with that stated, let's walk through some of what you've brought up.

Car choice. what the organizers want is a bunch of odd weird old cars that should never be on a race track. But they want them to be safe. So there are weight and wheelbase restrictions. However they understand we want to go fast, so if you bring a common cheaty BMW or miata, they want a damn good theme to prove you are in fact fun to be around. (and they do not want you arguing at BS inspection with their rulings). There are four common categories that most (but not all) people fall into.
1. You pick a car you know. Maybe it's that you used to race spec e30. or you've just had saabs all your life. Or you owned an old focus and just know it in and out. Whatever the case you know the car and you know how to fix it's week spots. So you pick that car and then figure out how to do it in budget and with a theme.
2. You pick a car at random and brute force your way though learning it. I did this. I picked a doge daytona because of reasons and spent a couple years learning how to make it slightly less terrible. Doing this forces you into category 1 after a while because you come to learn the car so well.
3. You go for the purposely weird. This is what wins you IOE (the real winner of Lemons). You pick something that should never have been on a track, ever, and make it do halfway well. This is where Heros are born.
4. you pick something that you think lets you sneak in and DOMINATE. Usually these are the teams that buy something modern and sporty thinking they're going to run away with the race. Like a modern BMW, or modern V8 merc, or a GTO. you know what happens to these teams? They do poorly.
Decide where you want to be. Do you want to show up and have a good time turning laps and partying? Go with 1. Do you want to learn, do fun things, maybe turn no laps, and maybe be a hero with your repairs? go with 2 or 3.

Themes. I get that you've latched onto boobs. It's been made clear. But truly great themes take effort and creativity. Showing up and pressing boobs into the judges faces will not make them ignore the fact that you brought a spec E46. How do you get things like e36 M3s into Lemons? You turn them into a garbage truck and spend the weekend helping collect trash.
http://www.roadkill.com/arizona-d-bags- … s-winners/
Good themes take creativity more than anything. Take a look at 3 Pedal Mafia for an example of a team that can pull off excellent well thought out themes over and over again.

Now let's talk BS inspection. There are two sides to BS inspection. First, it make sure people aren't cheating too badly. Second, to setup a good level playing field for that particular race. We'll tackle point 1 first. Recall what I said the main point of Lemons is. To be an affordable racing series. That gets ruined if the norm becomes everyone buying $2500 BMWs and cooking the books to make them look like $500 cars. BS inspection serves to discourage that and keep everyone looking at older more affordable cars. At the same time it fights performance creep. Teams that have been around a long time slowly make their cars faster and faster, inching that performance gap up and up. BS serves to take some of that out. Top teams may get a couple penalty laps to keep those teams in check with the rest of the field. This keeps the overall winner from blasting everyone away with a 20 lap lead every time.

Now the second part. Every race has a different field of cars and teams. The job of the judges is to setup 3 classes with some good competition. This is not easy. But they want all classes to have their own battles so that winning those classes feels like an accomplishment. If the winner of B is coming in 2nd overall, they didn't do a good job. New teams are harder to judge, because there is no past data. So if you show up with an e30, you're going in A until you prove you're not good at all. Once you get some races done you can argue to move up or down into a competitive place for your team.  If you're a jerk, or you argue with their decision, you're getting a harsher placement. If you work with them to prove that you're really hopeless and didn't cheat, you're getting a better placement. BS inspection is less to punish you and more to make the overall race fair and fun. Bribes and themes just add to the entertainment factor of that goal. Understand that and you'll go far.

So, where should you start as a new team. First, go to a damn race. Walk around, observe, talk to people, watch tech inspection and BS inspection. This will teach you far more than arguing here. Then, decide which category you want to fall into when it comes to cars. Pick your car and build it. Realize that your team may not follow you once you start asking for money. Figure out how to deal with it. Read the rules, several times, and build a car that meets them. Get a car to a race with a team and accept that you still have a learning curve to go through. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Everyone has been through different experiences and has something to offer that can and will help you. Try to have some fun instead of overthinking everything.

Well said.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

21 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2017-09-19 05:07 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

You are missing the points on a lot of this stuff...

Good, concise, clarification. I do think that the OP is simply trying to digest the Lemons Bushido.
Also, I read a lot of stream-of-consciousness writing in 1215's posts.
BTW, I believe the OP has attended a 24HoL event. Of course, there's a lot of text to read through, and I may be confused.

TheEngineer wrote:

Try to have some fun instead of overthinking everything.

Best 24HoL advice, ever! YMMV.

squidrope wrote:

Well said.

Dude, stop wasting electrons and give us the benefit of the doubt that we'll know what you are referring to.
The Engineer's post was quite lengthy. Quoting the whole thing will likely cause Amazon to build another server farm.
(Apologies if I offend. The HS teacher in me occasionally takes over my keyboard.)

Capt. Delinquent Racing
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

TheEngineer wrote:

Themes. I get that you've latched onto boobs. It's been made clear. But truly great themes take effort and creativity. Showing up and pressing boobs into the judges faces will not make them ignore the fact that you brought a spec E46.

Also the Judges are all car Guys and Girls at a Car event. They aren't looking at boobs, there's a twin engined minivan with a giant Fidget Spinner on the top of it over there! And hey that's a Communista Ruskkiovitch 185 from iron curtain Ukrane!!! And hey a hella sweet chopper honda 90cc as a judge mobile!

Boobs don't get you very far.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

1215 wrote:

Actually, do judges ever give $500++ residual values so if we sort a team on a decent car we'll have to scramble (or build new)?

All of us will have individual full gear. All of us will also pay. I am very capable (and confident) of being able to meet tech and would run the car by people in bmwcca that I trust as sanity checks. Car doesn't get loaded on the trailer unless it'll pass. Cheaper to burn the entry fee than to burn the travel & event fees. Been there & done that. Car doesn't get loaded on the trailer unless it's done. Period.

No, you never get a residual over the car Cost. Just either start over with a faster/crazier car and sell the old one, Ignore the residual and take your penalty laps, or work with what you get. Again YOU are the limiting factor 9 times out of 10, not the car.

I would advise against having someone not intimately familiar with Lemons pre-tech your car. Lemons is stricter than a lot of other racing organizations. Plenty of people show up with SCCA or Brand Club OK cars that don't pass Lemons Tech without a full Friday of fixing stuff.

I'm guessing you're in the NYC "Tri-State" area which puts you close to a lot of very skilled Lemons Teams.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi … 63&z=5

Invite some of their folks to eyeball your car. Or even help you with the cage build. Cages get people a lot, and it's a pain to fix in the Paddock on Friday evening when drinking should be happening.

DelinquentRacer wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

You are missing the points on a lot of this stuff...

Good, concise, clarification. I do think that the OP is simply trying to digest the Lemons Bushido.
Also, I read a lot of stream-of-consciousness writing in 1215's posts.
BTW, I believe the OP has attended a 24HoL event. Of course, there's a lot of text to read through, and I may be confused.

TheEngineer wrote:

Try to have some fun instead of overthinking everything.

Best 24HoL advice, ever! YMMV.

squidrope wrote:

Well said.

Dude, stop wasting electrons and give us the benefit of the doubt that we'll know what you are referring to.
The Engineer's post was quite lengthy. Quoting the whole thing will likely cause Amazon to build another server farm.
(Apologies if I offend. The HS teacher in me occasionally takes over my keyboard.)

NO
(Apologies if I offend. The 15y.o. in me occasionally takes over my keyboard.)

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

squidrope wrote:

NO
(Apologies if I offend. The 15y.o. in me occasionally takes over my keyboard.)

I'd be in the wrong career if a 15 y.o. could offend me.

Capt. Delinquent Racing