Topic: How much is a clean running Trabant worth?

I was out looking at a big old Changfa and the guy had a clean Trabant parked in his driveway, He said that it ran when he parked it there years ago, but that he hadn't touched it in a long time. I wanted to make him an offer on it, but I have no idea what one of those is worth.

So what should I offer for a clean Trabant that will probably run and drive with minimal work?

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: How much is a clean running Trabant worth?

In Germany you can still find them for next to nothing for one that's not so great looking and a few hundred Euros for a better one. Pristine models are getting expensive too. From what I've seen they are worth a few thousand bucks if you import them, due to rarity and import cost.
If you get it, please please please let me know and I'll help you get it running. My first car was a Trabant and I have literally touched every single component of it during the years my friends and I owned some of them. It would make me extremely happy to see one running and make little blue smoke clouds again.
I also have connections and can get you parts for cheap directly from Germany. All I ask in return is to drive it for a little bit, for good old time's sake.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I have no answers here aside from I'd LOVE a Trabant.

The newest addition to Scuderia Duffbirra:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6674-trabi1.jpg
http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6673-trabi2.jpg

5 (edited by MZAVARIN 2017-09-27 07:32 PM)

I like it.....

Some suggestions:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/103359922683/medium/1506565150403/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/103359923270/small/1506565194041/enhance

Make it happen!!!!

(fixed it...I think...)

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

I can't see those; it wants me to log in.

Spank's gonna be jealous.  He floated this one earlier https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 24039.html

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

or for the Rally:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/103359965067/medium/1506565526753/enhance

In fact, since there are still only 3 races for the East in 2018 (bummer), I'ma kinda thinking of doing the Chicago to California Rally in the end of Oct. 2018....and I would be happy to join you in the Trabant Stretch Limo....!

I'd like to do the Moscow to Paris rally next year in it. The DC Spy Museum show looks like fun too, but I don't know if it will be ready for a road trip by November.

MZAVARIN wrote:

I like it.....

Some suggestions:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/103359922683/medium/1506565150403/enhance

Make it happen!!!!

That's an interesting picture. After measuring some stuff, a modern compact FWD powertrain (90's Civic/Golf/Sentra) would fit under the hood, and the track would be about 6" wider than the stock Trabant track. I was thinking that a set of 3" fender flares would cover that up. I'd just have to build a carrier frame for the newer powertrain and attach it to the same mounting points as the Trabant powertrain frame. A Golf or Sentra (or other strut-based unit) would be easiest, but I was going to build a tube-frame carrier for a Civic (upper/lower-arms) powertrain for my Opel Kadett rear-engine project anyway, and I've got a welder and a bunch of leftover cage tubing from putting a roll bar in my track beater, so maybe I'll play with that. I do want to get it running in stock trim first so I get the full Trabi experience before I start thinking about Frankensteining it.

11 (edited by MZAVARIN 2017-09-28 06:42 PM)

I'd be over this weekend with my toolbox, if you lived any closer....

The Trabant in the photo had a VW turbo diesel engine, I believe....just a thought....

Seems like your plan is getting to be a common strategy in Lemons:

Step 1: Buy a unique beater car, and just make it run.  = IOE WIN! ---- take the money, and::

Step 2: fix it up a bit to make it reliable  =  Class C WIN!

Between 1 and 2:  Get a Heroic fix +/- I Got Screwed Trophy WIN!!!

Step 3, etc.: fix it up a bit more to win Class B.....then Turbo, mid engine, rear wheel drive, monster for Class A win....

Good luck!

You said it was clean?!?! It looks rather original though. Good stuff.
If you want to keep it real, there are people that tune the tiny 2 cylinder, 2 stroke, 600cc engine to produce about 80-85 HP. That's up from 26. No fancy stuff, just good old porting and lightening and optimization of internals. They raced these in Germany for over 40 years now and even at that power level, the engines are quite reliable.
Top speed is about 100 mph with that setup. There are brake upgrades with period correct parts available too (bigger drum brakes) but I would go with a disk swap. Here is what it looks like in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDJngP9Sdc

Thanks for the video, that looked awesome. If this car can be made to go like the one in the video, then that's what I want to do.

I did a bit of 2-stroke bike work back in the 80's on Yamaha and Suzuki engines. I've had then ported, added reed valves, and added expansion chambers, advanced the timing until I burned holes in the top of the pistons, etc.

don't want to rain on your parade, but they did on my midget because it has less than 82 inch wheelbase...

Jay has emphatically said no to Trabants, so it won't race as a LeMon, but I'd love to do the Retreat from Moscow rally in it, or some SCCA rallys, Concours de Lemons, the Targa Southland, rallycrosses, autocrosses, etc. Hell, if I can get it set up like the one in the video, then I'll take it to some HPDE's and take another run at Jay to let me on track with it. He may say no again, but get it fast and get the suspension sorted out so it can carry speed, and it's got to be better than the electric car or the 240D, and he let both of those on track. Of the three drivers that raced the 240D, only Ricky got it over 60 MPH (top speed), and he only got it to 60.2 MPH. Of course after the first running of Sparky, he did let us know that we needed to make it less dangerously slow before we brought it back.

There is a softer tune, 35-40 HP which was intended for street use and officially sanctioned by the GDR government. It's mostly mild porting and exhaust work. I had that in my Trabant and I could easily get it to about 130 kph with 3 people in the car on a straight. And it accelerated quite well too. That was in stock trim, so in race trim you would easily shave about 200 - 300 lbs from the car and only have one person in it. Even this should be faster than the 240D or the Knox Vegas Lincoln. So on the grounds of speed alone you should not be denied an entry.
There is also not much suspension work necessary. Some new lower springs and maybe dampers would be necessary. A conversion kit from 4x160 to 4x100mm bolt circle (can be combined with a front disk brake upgrade) to mount  some regular 13x7 wheels and 175/50-R13 tires and you have go cart like handling.
I wonder if they would allow the original fuel tank location in the Trabant though? I wouldn't want it there, sitting right next to the engine, for self preservation purposes.

Fuel tank was pretty rusty. Fuel valve was full of rust that solidified to a rock-like substance, had to drill out the reserve tank ports on the valve. Got the valve sorted, operates smoothly and seals now. Tank is sitting with degreaser in it, will pressure wash it tomorrow and see how much crud I can get out of it. Easiest fuel tank removal EVER! Crank rotates freely by hand, has some compression, plugs look good, can't feel any play in the rod bearings. Put it up on jack stands, it has surprising chassis rigidity, doesn't flex like a Civic, maybe because it doesn't weigh much. Bearings, bushings and ball joints feel good; I'll probably pull back the CV joint boots and put some fresh grease in them, but it looks mostly ready to roll. I need to figure out if it's 6v or 12v and get an appropriate battery in it so I can fire it up.

Since this is a '73, it's 6V. But to be sure, pull a bulb somewhere and check. They started shipping them with 12V on 10/3/83.
And yes, I could see the year just from the pictures and Roger didn't tell me earlier. I'm that good with Trabants wink

nameiner wrote:

Since this is a '73, it's 6V. But to be sure, pull a bulb somewhere and check. They started shipping them with 12V on 10/3/83.
And yes, I could see the year just from the pictures and Roger didn't tell me earlier. I'm that good with Trabants wink

The knowledge and skill set in this group is nothing short of amazing....

rmcdaniels wrote:

Jay has emphatically said no to Trabants...

To be honest, Sparky and Smokey are tanks. The Trabant is a crusty towel - literally!, the body is made from cotton. With a cage, you'd be safer from a roll or collision, but the body won't provide much protection from anything. In it's stock form, I'm surprised people weren't dying every day driving them. The natural speed limit might've helped here.

Get it to be less of a collection of tractor parts, and respectable "class c" speed, and it should be a viable Lemons race car. Bring it to CMP and run it during the test day so they can see it's not total trash. I've measured it; there's room to make it an EV. *clarkson grin* (using model S packs; the volt packs are too bulky)

Our C cars have both struggled in those areas. We knew well ahead of time Sparky Mk.I would be insanely slow; so I put 6 6' bike flags on it. Smokey was a lot slower than any of us expected -- the extra weight of the cage didn't help, and NCM's up-hill-exit-hairpin was pure murder. It was only "slow" if you gave up momentum -- we went into T1 45mph+, full throttle, no brakes. (I never saw anyone else do that.)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

I agree that it needs to be class C speedy. From what nameiner is saying, getting it to go up in the 80's is doable, and the porting cylinders (and piston skirts) makes sense based on my experience with 2-stroke bikes. There are places that port dirt bikes and snowmobiles that could probably re-work the ports, and even if it has to go back to Germany, I'd just have to send the cylinders and pistons, which are pretty light. DHL would have it there in a couple of days for pretty cheap.

Something about the suspension would have to change, I can't imagine that a lot of positive camber in the rear is conducive to good handling.

I don't see why the body would be any worse than any other plastic-bodied car (Corvette, Saturn, etc), there's just not much mass of car there. I'd want a cage with the seat rails attached to the cage like Charles got, maybe even a full rally-spec cage. Then we could put the same tire/tube combo that's on the clown car on it and go play in the dirt:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6676-trabi5.jpg

Congratulations! What a magnificently awesome purchase!

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

nameiner wrote:

...If you want to keep it real, there are people that tune the tiny 2 cylinder, 2 stroke, 600cc engine to produce about 80-85 HP. That's up from 26. No fancy stuff, just good old porting and lightening and optimization of internals. They raced these in Germany for over 40 years now and even at that power level, the engines are quite reliable.
Top speed is about 100 mph with that setup...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDJngP9Sdc

So, it's potentially an East German Balto? smile

So I read on the Internet that you can pull the engine by hand in 20 minutes using nothing but five wrenches. The prior owner said that it needed a clutch, and I had 20 minutes, so what the hell.

It didn't take 20 minutes, and that was my first time. The more I muck about with this thing, the more I am convinced that it is awesome:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6677-trabi3.jpg
http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6678-trabi4.jpg

A lot of mice and spiders have been living in this car.