Re: 24 hours of Lemons highschool club

Agree, do not run street pads. I've seen numerous times people try with cheap autozone quality pads and then they end up burning down to the backing plate and destroying brake components. I'm sure someone will chime in saying they've had success, but it's not worth the risk most of the time. I'm a Raysbestos ST-43 fanboy at this point. We're about to run race #4 with our set in our heavy (3400+lbs with driver) Saab. And we are not kind to the brakes. They were pricey up front, but they are worth every penny to have the hand of god reach down and stop your car at the end of the front straight.

I don't think anyone was trying to discourage the effort entirely, but you should know what you're up against. If you come up with a $3k budget, get that approved, and then find you're still $2k shy, how's that going to play out? I just looked at the spreadsheet from my first ever race. The one we tracked cost from buying the car through the end of race weekend. The total was just over $6k, and that did not include driver gear. It did include race fees, but they were much less in 2011. Your wild card is going to be the cage. In my first car we paid $2250 to have the cage built, the floors repaired, and the seat installed. The car I'm building now I paid about $900 to have a pre-bent kit shipped to my door and I installed it myself. If you have access to a bender and someone that knows how to measure and bend a cage you can drop that even more to just buy the raw materials. We did that with the saab and I think we got material for ~$500-$600.

I hope you make it work. I started racing 2 years out of college and I love seeing younger teams try and succeed. Just make sure you do your homework up front so you're fully prepared for the whole endeavor.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Agree, do not run street pads. I've seen numerous times people try with cheap autozone quality pads and then they end up burning down to the backing plate and destroying brake components. I'm sure someone will chime in saying they've had success, but it's not worth the risk most of the time. I'm a Raysbestos ST-43 fanboy at this point. We're about to run race #4 with our set in our heavy (3400+lbs with driver) Saab. And we are not kind to the brakes. They were pricey up front, but they are worth every penny to have the hand of god reach down and stop your car at the end of the front straight.

I highly agree with the bold above.  Street pads were NEVER meant to stop a car from 100 MPH (assuming yours can go that fast) over an over for 7 hours.  They will fade quickly and be down right dangerous.  We too run ST43s, mainly due to their longevity.  There are cheaper pads that stop just as well (Hawk Blues, or Blacks) but the ST43s just seem to keep going.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

One more buzzkill item to budget in:

tow vehicle + trailer + gas

While it's probably more common to know someone with a suitable V8 tow vehicle in Texas vs say San Francisco, will they have the truck wired for a tow vehicle is another question (electrical lights harness and tow controller if you are using a non-Uhaul trailer).

Factor in $120-200 for the truck bits assuming you have the truck
+ FREE or $50/day x 3 days if you go the Uhaul auto-transporter route.
+ Gas (estimating $100).

Austin -> MSR is a 200mi trip. Call it 400mi rt / 12MPG (being generous) = 33.33 Gallons * $2.75 (just to be safe) = $91 in gas

While I would try and keep the car street legal for pre-race testing reasons BUT I'm not sure I'd plan to take an unproven team + unproven car to a race 200mi away.

I personally did this for our first three races but:
- Sears Point to home was <40mi away
- We always brought a tow vehicle to the track and planned for a uhaul rental if needed
- We ended up having to use AAA after our third race when our engine blew up and we were at the time unprepared to do a swap.

Good luck with your plans but I think $$$ is going to be your biggest obstacle.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Back on brakes ... pads are important but brake fluid is more important. Spend $20 for a bottle of Motul 600 or some other really high temp brake fluid. New drivers will use brakes more often and stay on them longer than they should. The result is about two laps in you will boil the brake fluid and find yourself with extreme fade or no brakes. For most cars, you can flush the entire brake system and replace the fluid with high temp fluid with one bottle.

I've driven cars with both street pads and race pads.  Our first Lemons car was pretty slow (top speed around 80) and one set of street pads would last a whole race.  The second race, when the car was a bit faster, we burned through two sets of pads in one race.  Then we switched to race pads, and we could get about 2 races out of a set. 

On a $/lap basis, street pads are probably a bit cheaper, but- do you REALLY want to be swapping pads mid-race?  Even if it's Saturday night, that's still ONE MORE THING you have to do...and remember to do...and remember to do RIGHT. 

Plus, if you've never driven hard before, the difference in stopping between street pads and race pads is amazing.  Race pads will throw you into the belts.  Street pads stink. 

We do run street pads in the back- and change them after each race.  But your back brakes are only doing 20% of your stopping.  Still, at $100 a corner for good race pads, vs $15 a corner for street, it's easier to justify $230 than $400.  You also don't want to lock up the back brakes.  You really, really don't want to lock up the back brakes.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

31 (edited by joey12725 2017-10-10 10:52 AM)

Got it, I will definitely get race pads and good brake fluid, that is very good to know. After all of the little (big) things I had looked over (had not even considered in the first place) my budget is closer to the $4500 mark, on the bright side, I think I have almost all of the expenses listed now, emphasis on almost.

EDIT: I just got approval from the school (somehow) and have launched the GoFundMe. We are trying to race in 2018 Houston we have a problem race. Anyways here is the link. https://www.gofundme.com/SASLeMons

*cough*buythisduster*cough*

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d … 42040.html

Tell the seller it's a high school project; maybe you can talk him down a bit. I can guarantee the Lemons judges won't care what you spend, though.

Best advice...buy a completed car that is well sorted and has never had a significant collision. Confirm that it has the following: 1. A legal Lemons compliant cage, decent brake upgrade, appropriately sorted suspension modifications, a legal seat in good condition, working temperature, oil, and tach gauges, newer belts with a couple of years left before expiration, two sets of wheels, a good radiator, and fuel lines in good condition. The car should also have an engine in running condition and a transmission/clutch that is not destroyed. If the seller happens to have a couple of sets of good used tires and some extra parts, that would be an excellent bonus.

It may sound like a lot to ask, but cars meeting these requirements HAVE been sold for $3K-$5k. There is absolutely, positively no way you can compile the above already built and sorted car for even close to that low money. Buy a built car with all of the above and spend your time painting it and sorting all of the things that are not 100% correct or ready. Install some brake pads, change the oil, plugs, apply a new paint scheme and theme...clean and neaten the interior...install some radio communications equipment, etc., etc.. If your really ambitious drop out the transmission and check the clutch, give the engine some compression testing, replace the belts. There will be plenty of low $$ work to do, even on an already built car.

Make sure you don't pay 3k for a car that someone declares "race ready"...and yet it still needs many of the items within the above list. This would defeat the purpose of buying a built car at low $$...as you seen will quickly be sinking another $3k in additional parts and completion. Be patient, they do appear regularly...

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Mysterymachine wrote:

Best advice...buy a completed car that is well sorted and has never had a significant collision...

I don't think just getting on track is the point.
These students want to build a car to race.
My students that actually built the V8 SHO had a vastly different experience
than the students that have maintained/raced it in later years.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Hey, here's a Duster that's even cheaper. Needs more work and has one less gear, but it has A/C and power steering parts you can sell!

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/197 … 24111.html

Title isn't required unless you wanna test drive on the street, but surely there's a lawyer parent somewhere on the team who can work out a bonded title for cheap.

I appreciate your personal perspective and agree with you regarding the build experience. However, I was responding specifically to the author of the original post who said he was seeking cheap and reliable, and also went on to definitively state that that most of the students were artists interested in painting the car, and that he had no access or ability to fabricate a roll cage or other significant components of the car.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Building a functioning Lemons car is a tremendous amount of work. There is no way that me and my entire high school could've pulled it off without an adult mentor/project manager.  I'd love to see them build there own ride.  But based on my experience I would buy and modify an existing Lemons car.  Starting from scratch is more work than most sane adults want to attempt.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

38 (edited by joey12725 2017-10-12 09:06 PM)

We are definitely considering buying and modifying a used Lemons car, though at this point it is 50/50. If I went the Craigslist route, I would be building the most basic of Lemons cars whereas if I want the already raced route I would be HEAVILY modifying it, if not buying a broken one that would pass tech once repaired. It mostly comes down to cost and time, if I meet my budget tomorrow and can work for a solid year, I will most likely build where if I meed 3/4 of my budget 6 or 7 months from now I will buy a working raced Lemons car and modify. My main goal is to learn as much as I can while still having enough money to race.

Edit:spelling

39 (edited by gunn 2017-10-14 12:12 AM)

joey12725 wrote:

We are definitely considering buying and modifying a used Lemons car, though at this point it is 50/50. If I went the Craigslist route, I would be building the most basic of Lemons cars whereas if I want the already raced route I would be HEAVILY modifying it, if not buying a broken one that would pass tech once repaired. It mostly comes down to cost and time, if I meet my budget tomorrow and can work for a solid year, I will most likely build where if I meed 3/4 of my budget 6 or 7 months from now I will buy a working raced Lemons car and modify. My main goal is to learn as much as I can while still having enough money to race.

Edit:spelling

Your statement doesn't pass the logic test.
If you had a chunk of cash now (at t=0), you'd build your own?
If you still need 3/4 of your budget in 6 or 7 months (meaning you only have 25% of your budget @ t=7 months), how are you going to pay for a working, raced Lemons car?

To me, it seems like you have the choices backwards.
Your budget was $4500 (which I still think is low). I think you would be hard pressed to buy a working Lemons car for $1150 even with a "hey I'm a HS kid" discount unless it had a blown engine/trans -- whereas you can probably find a working car for a few hundred bucks (or free) and then spend the next few months raising money for the cage, making it reliable/learning about the tweaks you can make, gutting it, and building it up.
If you pick your car right, you can probably make money selling off the non-necessary bits (ex: interior) to help pay for the cage and other stuff you need.

A more realistic budget to buy someone's working Lemons car is probably $2K or more (which should come with spares and most importantly a legal cage).

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Thing is we do not want to start building until we have the money. We don't want to raise enough to build the car but not enough to enter, meaning if we had less money and time, buying would be the logical choice.

Why not look for a team near you and see if you can help prep their car? I know it's not the same as doing your own but it could go a long way to helping you be better prepared to do it.

That is a really good idea.

I agree that helping a team prep a car is probably the safest/best way to start but for worse ideas, here's one
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35687

Getting it from socal to TX might be a little expensive (probably <$1K depending on the amount of spares he's including that can be packed into the car) but that's most of the way there to a complete car w/ spares for a little more than the cost of a new cage.

joey12725 wrote:

Thing is we do not want to start building until we have the money. We don't want to raise enough to build the car but not enough to enter, meaning if we had less money and time, buying would be the logical choice.

Sounds like you and four friends just need to get jobs, and save $1k each. It really wont take long all and you will have everything you need!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

joey12725 wrote:

EDIT: I just got approval from the school (somehow) and have launched the GoFundMe. We are trying to race in 2018 Houston we have a problem race. Anyways here is the link. https://www.gofundme.com/SASLeMons

I think this is getting overlooked. Getting a school to sign off on something like this is no small undertaking, even as a club. Generally speaking, that speaks to your competence because school administrators--even open-minded ones--usually cower at the thought of SUPER DANGEROUS RACING ZOMG INSURANCE NITEMARE. I don't think most would be willing to hear of it at all, so you clearly have your act together.

I'm not gonna say anything about what to do and how to do it; Lemons offers ample teaching moments like that. If you've gotten anything from this topic, it should be that people approach Lemons in a lot of different ways. You've done a smart thing in giving yourself lots of time (Yeah, I know the schedule has something to do with it) to cross the t's and dot the lower-case j's.

OK, I lied. If I had one piece of unsolicited advice, it would be to show administrators what you're learning as you go: how to raise funds, how to manage people, how to plan work on the car, and maybe even what you learned about working on cars. That last bit is important, but I think you'll find it's (far) less taxing--and ultimately less important to adulting*--than the other stuff.

* Unless you're going to be a mechanic and even then.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Fishah wrote:
joey12725 wrote:

Sounds like you and four friends just need to get jobs, and save $1k each. It really wont take long all and you will have everything you need!

I hear Target's paying $11 an hour now and looking for seasonal help.  150 hours each at a Target, after Uncle Sam gets his cut, and you and 4 friends can do a Lemons race!

That's how we did things in my day, anyway.  We earned money.  I know that's a ferrin concept these days what with the Fundgome's and Startkicks and whatnot...everyone's trying to connive some _other_ hardworking soul out of their dough.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

http://i4m032imkie3gak4u536h719-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/477io.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kB78hM_lkI

Get off my concrete pad.