Re: One Hella Busted VW 411 Needs Fixing + Engine Tins ASAP - Austin, TX

Spank wrote:

Don't obsess on what the internet tells you is right or wrong. You just need 2 pistons that match 2 bores. The closer you can get to compression the better, but it's not essential. Same for weight and even for bore diameter. I speak from experience.

Thanks to this forum, I learned that tungsten is a great material to fill wrist pins with to get pistons to match in weight when they are grossly disparate.https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=6191

I also have run a motor for multiple races with 3 different bore sizes and compression ratio pistons (8.8, 9.4 and about 11:1 in the same 4cyl motor).

Just make it Vroom. Fix it right later.

Besides, it'll be a better story.

If someone from SoCal has a motor they want me to bring out to Stef to put in on Sat night at the track, I'll have a mostly empty trunk on the way out there.

Ooh. You're not taking a tow vehicle down there, are you? I desperately need to find a tow for this whole shebang to the race as well.

ninjacoco wrote:

Ooh. You're not taking a tow vehicle down there, are you? I desperately need to find a tow for this whole shebang to the race as well.

Correct, I am not taking a tow vehicle down there.

Isn't the 411 street licensed?

Can't help with ~Volkswagen~ parts, but if you need any specialty tools for the Friday night wrench-fest, let me know. Looking at RockAuto, it appears the "VW 1.6L H4" has a bore diameter similar to a slant six. I have 120- and 240-grit 3.5 inch flex hones that should work.

Are the roasted pistons still usable with a little massaging? Cleaning them up and throwing on new rings and bearings might get you farther than you think. If you're only doing two pistons, maybe use your extra oil control rings for shims if the ring lands are wallowed out. A whole set of rings is only $18.20 on RockAuto! Rod bearings are $12.86! Holy shit. You could rebuild this thing twice in a weekend for less than most teams spend on beer.

Ha, I don't want to crack the case for rod bearings.

The VW is not street legal.

Here's the remaining items on fire:
- Mount seat (I need help with this?! the brackets make it sit way too low for normal humans)
- Find a tow, somehow. I'm just straight-up out of money right now unless teammates chip in more, so I don't know what I could rent that's doable there.

30 (edited by SpaceFrank 2017-11-06 07:07 PM)

I assumed you had to remove rod bearings to get the pistons out, but I live in the magical world of water-cooled engines. I see on FB you have the engine back together, which is rad.

Your Lancer doesn't have a hitch, does it? Flat tow it with a strap and get a friend to ride inside the whole way down and work the brakes?

SpaceFrank wrote:

Flat tow it with a strap and get a friend to ride inside the whole way down and work the brakes?

What could possibly go wrong??

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Figured out transportation shortly after the post. Man, the Lancer's CVT would nuke itself in a big ol' fireball if I even thought about towing with it, I'll bet. That car's still not fixed, either. I'm stuck waiting on insurance re: the annoying death wobble from it getting hit while parked.

Hmm. This pattern seems to suggest that I suck at cars. Universally. All the cars. I'm bad at them.

ninjacoco wrote:

Hmm. This pattern seems to suggest that I suck at cars. Universally. All the cars. I'm bad at them.

It definitely suggests the place your insurance uses to fix claims sure does.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

ninjacoco wrote:

Man, the Lancer's CVT would nuke itself in a big ol' fireball if I even thought about towing with it, I'll bet.

That's just sensible, defeatist thinking! The Variomatic CVT in my 1976 Volvo 66 GL nuked itself anyway, even without the benefit of towing anything, so my plan is to attach a trailer hitch to see whether an additional burden will serve to keep it in line. I'm an experimentalist.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

35 (edited by ninjacoco 2017-11-09 12:00 AM)

I'm just hoping for the sweet release of death so I don't have to push this car on the trailer.

No, it doesn't work, either, and I'm stumped because carbs are voodoo. Turned on power. Fuel poured out of the top of the carb—the bottom of the air filter part. Come, come, nuclear war.

ninjacoco wrote:

Fuel poured out of the top of the carb—the bottom of the air filter part.

Whenever this has happened to me (several vehicles, several times...), it's always been a problem with the valve in the float bowl failing to seat. Could be grit in the way, could be a worn-out seal surface, could be a jammed valve, but it's always been a problem at the valve itself. It might also be a leaking or stuck float, of course, but in my experience the valve area itself is typically responsible.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

what he said.
(far warning, I've touched very few car carbs, and this is all from motorcycles)
The fuel level in a carb is controlled by a float. Literally something in the bowl that is hinged and floats in fuel. As it moves up it presses a pin up into the opening that the fuel enters, effectively shutting it off. As it gets lower that float drops and lets more fuel in. Overflowing fuel is usually 1 of 3 things.
1. The float it adjusted wrong so it's not closing off fuel at the right level
2. the valve isn't seating right and therefore not stopping fuel
3. you have old school brazed floats that have developed a leak and are filling with fuel so they no longer float.

Pop the bottom of the carb off and check things over. Be warned it will be full of fuel.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Also preliminarily try giving them a good rap with a hammer handle or a soft faced hammer. Sometimes that's all it takes if it's just varnished or gummed up.

The Important thing is don't go in there and gouge anything brass. I know if you get it on the trailer, someone at MSR can strip em, wash em and if needed JB weld plug up a leaky float easy peasy. But ya gotta not gouge any of the jets or needles.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Also some stuff seems to be saying too much fuel pressure  will flood the carbs no-matter what so check your fuel pressure too. You only need 2 - 3 psi.

So Saw some laps, sometimes very long laps, on the timing app today. It's working I take it?

Yeah, supposedly they turned 103 laps. They also won a trophy: I wanna say it was I Got Screwed?

Yup, I got screwed went to the 411.  Blue Gremlin got IOE, LeBaron got Org Choice.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

43 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-11-13 10:55 PM)

103 laps, not bad, we only managed 34 at NCM before the engine had enough of our crap.

Note the Crater where piston should be.
https://i.imgur.com/PjsAyUL.jpg?1

But it's OK!
We have an engine rebuilt and ready to go in in time for next season!
https://i.imgur.com/4q1rDNl.jpg