Re: Scrotium? Who's going?

SpaceFrank wrote:

Correction: the Valiant won't be ready in time, so now I'm on Team Rambler.

(Will still weld for warm floor space)

That was fast!  I thought I'd try to convince you to bring that LUXURIANT V6 car sitting there in Houston looking for a new home.  It ain't a Slant 6, but it's kinda cool.

I'll be there as a spectator or if anyone needs a hand with anything...

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

Sonic wrote:

The motor for our Honda is in many pieces spread around the garage right now, with more parts incoming from Honda.  Three motors, none of them good enough to use.  We have never had  the car this far apart this close to a race.  Boo.

What Honda motor? What do you need? I have a shop full of various Honda bits and am close to Road Atlanta....

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

Thanks for the offer Mike.  It all seems under control to get it together in time, but if we do need something at the track that I don’t have I’ll find you.  We run a D16Y8 in an EF hatch. 

Got the head back together tonight and finished porting the oil pump. Tomorrow I’ll pull the pistons to open the ring gap a bit (because turbo) and open up and clean the oil passageways I can get to.  Friday my parts should arrive from Honda so I can start plastigauging the bearings and getting the bottom end back together.  Hopefully the motor will be together this weekend to install Monday and Tuesday after work, to load on the trailer for a Wednesday night departure.  I’m tired just thinking about it.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

54 (edited by DirtyDuc 2017-12-02 10:08 PM)

Never mind. eBay sale fell through because interwebs.

That guy

Sonic wrote:

Thanks for the offer Mike.  It all seems under control to get it together in time, but if we do need something at the track that I don’t have I’ll find you.  We run a D16Y8 in an EF hatch. 

Got the head back together tonight and finished porting the oil pump. Tomorrow I’ll pull the pistons to open the ring gap a bit (because turbo) and open up and clean the oil passageways I can get to.  Friday my parts should arrive from Honda so I can start plastigauging the bearings and getting the bottom end back together.  Hopefully the motor will be together this weekend to install Monday and Tuesday after work, to load on the trailer for a Wednesday night departure.  I’m tired just thinking about it.

Thrash!

I have mostly B series stuff but know where to find D motor stuff in Atlanta. We are running the Mazda MX-3 in the Scrotium.

Mike
Hong Norrth

OLPD and Turbo Schnitzel will both be there.

I think OLPD is going to run on the test day too, so we'll probably get a bunch of laps in on Friday ...and then the motor will grenade all by its lonesome Saturday AM before the green.

I hope we're all planning to give extra space on this one.

Love you mean it.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce Faithful Devotee
Writer of novels and not-novels.

Anybody got a car count yet?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

58 (edited by Greg S 2017-12-02 10:19 PM)

Sad to say but Pro Crash Duh Nation and the #26 Black Alfa is out of this one. I withdrew our team a few days ago. The Dually tow vehicles motor is still apart and some other issues are keeping us from this bucket list race / track. It sucks.

I've towed down to Sebring Florida from New York to race a few times before in the winter and there is something everyone should be aware of.

Its real easy for your water filled motor to freeze up and crack the block on the way south. Do yourself a big favor and take the water out and put in some antifreeze. Bring along some jugs to swap out the antifreeze with water at the track. Ask me how I know this.....

The interwebs says the average temperatures at Road Atlanta for the weekend is 55 /34 and there's the potential for overnight temps going to as low as 28 degrees so bring some antifreeze.

Good luck guys and have a great time. I thought about doing an arrive and drive but I really wanted to be driving Angelina.

Wish I was there.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Looked at weather forecast.
Pulled 4/5 water drain plugs.
Snapped off 5th.
Currently drilling........

The car runs now.  I put in a plug in block heater to try to keep it from freezing up at night.

The plan is to leave tomorrow when Chrissy gets home from work, probably around 4:30, then head out down 81 and see how far we can get before we get too tired.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Team Driving Dead #77 will be there.  Car has been in retirement for almost 2 years, so it will be fun to return, especially to a race in our hometown.  Some of my old teams (TEAM Toyota and OLPD) will be there too!  For all the northern folks, do you guys switch to coolant overnight at temps like we will see at this race?

I need help. 

How would I get a hold of Jay or a decision making individual for the Road Atlanta race.  Thinking of diverting from our plan of WRL this weekend in Virginia to  Road Atlanta.   Currently in Columbus, Ohio.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon - have you reached anyone?  If not, pm me.

Btw, test day in the snow is always fun!

Mark G. Davis - Hong Norrth Mazda MX3
https://www.facebook.com/#!/hongnorrth
www.e3storage.com

TeamLemon-aid - I am with Kim Harmon right now and she says " As long as it is the TeamLemon-aid that we know, bring it on!"

Mark G. Davis - Hong Norrth Mazda MX3
https://www.facebook.com/#!/hongnorrth
www.e3storage.com

We have to soldier on to Virginia.  They are not cancelling the WRL race.   So... guess no last minute Road Atlanta for us. 

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

All delta flights to ATL cancelled from SoFla and nothing available until Sunday... nothing to charlotte or Birmingham worth a damn either.

F. M. L.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

Sorry we missed you, dude.

If it makes you feel any better your car was fast.

doctordel wrote:

All delta flights to ATL cancelled from SoFla and nothing available until Sunday... nothing to charlotte or Birmingham worth a damn either.

F. M. L.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce Faithful Devotee
Writer of novels and not-novels.

All assorted race, tow, and personal hoopties are back in their stalls at Scuderia DuffBirra. That was brutal, even more than that Friday at CMP when it freezing rained all day. I really need to figure out what's wrong with the heater in the race car, my toes were blocks of ice and I couldn't feel the accelerator stick. I'm going to crawl into bed with my jagged metal trophy and take a nap. I don't care what my wife says, this one is going over the fireplace in the living room. Maybe if I paint it.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

69 (edited by autoxmike 2017-12-11 10:59 AM)

No Post Scrotium talk yet??!!

Hopefully everyone found Road Atlanta to be an EPIC racetrack!! Even after many many laps here over the years I still find it challenging and with subtle nuances that one unlocks for more speed. Sumbich, one of the Hong Norrth MX-3s, has been in "Shelf Mode" for a while so we dug it out, put in a new rear main seal and came out to play. Lots of fun - mainly spending time with the Lemons gang. Saturday was a challenge with only 4th gear for the last 7 hours. Swapping in a different trans in paddock in the 28 degree temps wasn't as bad as expected.

Looking forward to next year already!!

Mike
Hong Norrth

We had a great time racing with everyone at Road Atlanta this weekend.  What an amazing track!  Thanks, Jay and all the Lemons personnel that made this happen!

A big thanks to Toyota PE Motorsports for lending us their spare radiator after we (I) twisted off our radiator's drain plug bung while prepping for the 24 deg. overnight temps!

Can't wait for next year!

- Cooper
Team Rod Throwin' Fools (#31 MR2)

Wheel Team 6 has a lot of thanks to hand out for Atlanta so I'll try to do it in order. 

Thanks as always to the Lemons community as a whole, for being inviting, generous and patient.  You guys are the best. 

Thanks to Jay for being understanding about our bullshit. 

Thanks to Eric Rood who I think is always secretly rooting for us, and helping us out behind the scenes. 

Frank from the Rambler team sent a detailed message last weekend offering us advice about our roll cage, so I do appreciate that.  (I should have listened closer...but..my ego...) 

Nick from Apocalyptic for offering help and to co-drive should we have needed it, which was just a precursor for what came about from Lemons folks over the weekend. 

Dudefladge Rob for offering to come down and help out, I was glad you came anyway, and you better get that car on the track next year, we're all looking forward to it.   Give me a call I now have extensive Valiant racing experience (but slow.) 

Erick for coming all the way from AL, and taking everything in stride when I waited til he showed up to tell him our car failed tech. 

And finally our hero and savior Jason and his Valiant.  I still can't think you enough, you're the shit, and the absolute example of the Lemons spirit.  I'll come carry fuel jugs for you some weekend, and make parts runs and BBQ. 

I was talking to the Mild Horses guys on the way out; they were blown away by how welcoming and helpful everyone was.  "We're used to dragstrips where everyone is a jerkoff"  Slightly paraphrased. 

And finally, as the WT6 asshole car was being towed home late Sunday night, the trailer blew its second tire on I-75.  I stood out in the cold, assessing the damage and figuring out a plan, when who should stop but another Lemons racer, Albert from the Rambler team.  He was checking to make sure everything was ok, so thank you Albert. 

We'll see y'all at CMP, with our 4th and hopefully final cage, which I Just jinxed by saying that.  Anybody know any cage shops in TN? 

Stay safe,
-Phil

Road Atlanta was everything that everyone said it would be and then some. Difficult, challenging and an absolute blast to drive on especially second time out once your brain has had time to process it all. Also the words of advice from Mental on Saturday night were very helpful. The weather added a massive curveball to the weekend but I’m happy now to have been through it all. I’m getting more and more confident in the rain and can add snow to that now.

Our race didn’t quite go as planned. We lost  the rear brakes early Saturday due to a cracked brake line and it took two stops to get them locked out and we raced on with fronts only. This made a challenging track downright terrifying at times as the pedal was rock hard and fronts a bit grabby. It got better as the track dried out but left us having to leave bigger gaps to other cars and brake a bit earlier than we would have liked. For the Celica we need a perfect race to hang with the top A class cars and to take advantage of our fuel strategy so I was bummed that we would not be racing for a top 5 but it did take the edge off a bit and allowed us to cycle drivers a bit more.

Sunday was sooo much better, dry track and working brakes front and back. We all dropped our lap times and were able to have some solid battles with the faster cars out there while trying not to ruin anyone’s race. My highlights were getting a 1:52.5 lap and racing with and passing some of the legendary east coast and southern cars that we don’t get to run with very often. Also pitting with our friends in the Ranbler and seeing it finally achieve The class C win. It took an All Star line up behind the wheel and in the pits to get the win that was shared by everyone that has raced, wrenched on or just followed the progress of this true LeMon.

Always a good time pitting with Knox Vegas and also some great battles on track with the HooptiCorn and Geo.

Thanks 3PM for feeding us Saturday night and being so clean and professional on and off track. The podcasts are a blast and kept me entertained on the drive down and home.

Thanks Jay and team for putting RA on the schedule.
Apocalyptic Racing will be back in 2018!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

The Team Sheen #181 Acura Integra had a great time as well!

Sorry we weren't more social, the car had more mechanical failures on Friday and Saturday than the last two years combined. We blew up an axle on Friday, clutch line Saturday morning, and then a radiator hose clamp some fifteen minutes later.

"Hey guys, am I am fire? I think I'm on fire. Somebody look and see if I'm fire..."

That was the radio transmission from our driver. Needless to say, it got our attention.

After fixing the hose clamp, the driver immediately runs over a muffler that was dumped by the car in front of hi on the very next lap. The muffler punctured the oil pan, but this happened at the top of turn 10b (e.g. the best place for it to happen). Our driver shut the car off immediately and was able to coast all the way into the cold pits and up to our trailer. After swapping in a spare oil pan, we got back on track and finished the last two hours of Saturday.

Sunday was uneventful for us as the car ran flawlessly for the rest of the race. We started Sunday in 53rd place (we were down to 64th place at one point) and eventually finished in 25th place (I think). The car ran a best lap of 1:51 in the afternoon. I was pretty happy with this as the Integra is never the fastest car on track. Consistency and fuel economy is the name of the game with that car.

Speaking of fuel economy... holy crap that track makes your car thirsty!! At Autobahn and Gingerman, we can easily go 3.5 hours and sometimes stretch it to 4 hours. But after just 2.5 hours, we were running out of fuel! Brett found this out at ~4:52 pm on Sunday as I intentionally slowed down so him and I could have an epic last lap sprint battle. As I came out of 10a, the car immediately sputtered as I watched the fuel pressure gauge drop down to zero psi! Exactly one nano-second after this, Brett goes blasting past me with what I could only imagine was the biggest shit-eating grin on his face.

I was able to limp it around the track for another couple of laps and eventually take the checkered flag, but that car was on fumes!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this track. We will definitely be coming back in 2018!

The Pentastar whisperer

74 (edited by skivittlerjimb 2017-12-12 10:25 AM)

Definitely agree with you on the conspicuous fuel consumption aspect of RA. Bert can normally do at least two hours on a full fuel cell, but for our only planned two hour stint it only lasted 1:45 before sputtering set in. Luckily a black flag near the end of that stint prevented running out of fuel on track. That's on a 22 gallon ATL cell that we routinely can suck 19 gallons out of, so that's close to 11 gallons per hour consumption. Turbo Bricks are thirsty but bewst is fun.

Our weekend was excellent, and though we weren't going for a competitive finish we managed an 18th overall despite lots of driver changes, two black flags, one minor contact incident, and a couple of other quick, unplanned trips off the race circuit. On Friday the car wouldn't start with a power-to-the-coil-but-no-spark condition. After throwing lots of parts at it and fussing over wiring diagrams in the cold and snow, we took the advice of Bert's main owner in Vermont over the phone and hooked up a jumper cable to the intake manifold near where the ignition and fuel injection computers ground themselves, and hooked the other end of the jumper cable up to a good earth spot on the chassis. Bert then fired right up. We proceeded to make a Lemons-appropriate ground cable and the car ran like a top all weekend after that.

Saturday early in the wet the car was not as bad as it usually is in the rain, even though we still needed to tip toe around the track with our welded diff. As the track dried we of course got progressive faster, culminating with Craig Harmon's (Kim's brother) turning a 1:51.0 in the coldest air on Sunday morning. At that point Randy Pobst hadn't driven his Volvo in the dry yet, and we had dreams of Bert being faster than his 740 with him in it (yeah, right) but on Sunday between 4-5 pm he obliterated our best time by 4 seconds (!)... while wearing a dress of course.

RA is a very fun track and I hope to get back there next year and do some dry laps without the sun shining directly in my face from Turn 1 exit to Turn 5 exit. That section was very sketchy as all you could really see was the brake lights of other cars, but everyone seemed to slow down appropriately and no one tried to barrel through the blind spot blindly.

Thanks to Jay and Kim for a great event and for trusting us Yahoos on a big boy and big girl track like RA. Looking forward to next year's edition of the Scrot500.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

Us too,  I only got 5 hours out of the stock tank, which holds about 10 gallons. At NCM we'd get 8. We hadn't planned for fueling, so I had to drive to the Chevron station down the road to top it off.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!