Topic: "As raced" weight in rules

Hi

What does 'as raced' weight include or exclude?

I know answer might seem obvious but some other race regs define it as excluding fuel and driver.

Thanks

Jimble

Re: "As raced" weight in rules

I assume you're asking for selecting roll bar tube size.

I would assume that in our case "as raced" means what does your car weight as it rolls out to the green flag. If you're worried that you're near the limit and a heavier driver could push you over just use the stronger tubing. Honestly, why skimp on safety?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Thanks for lightning response, Engineer!

Yep, cage tube selection is the reason.

Rough sums are around the 3000 mark with fuel and the very best fed of our drivers. Subtracting driver and fuel would make it more like 2650 - quite a bit under.

Our natural assumption would be as you describe, but I've seen 'as raced' specifically defined as excluding driver and fuel in other sets of regs so wanted to check in for noobie guidance on Lemons' definition.

Other dumb questions to follow...

Go with the larger tubing.   Don't even think about it.

My Lemons car was destroyed in a bad roll-over crash.   I cannot imagine what I would have said to the family of the driver if she had been injured or killed.   As it was, she walked away without a scratch.   Go with the larger tubing.   Don't even think about it.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Go with the larger tubing.
Our car is sub 1800lbs and we went with 1.75x.095 tubing.
Minimal weight penalty, maximal strength increase.

What's the weight going to be if you stuff it into the wall with your fattest driver and a full fuel load- go with that.

Don't over think this, just go with the larger tubing.  We always do and our cars are well under 3000lbs.  My teammates are also my friends.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

My wife races our car, do not skimp on safety.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Go with the larger tubing, you might be well under the 3K weight requiring it but what about the 4,000lb car with the inexperienced driver that accidentally t-bones you on track...When I was building our first car, we were WAY under the weight limit for 1.75 and I asked my teammate his thoughts and that was his response. We have a 1.75 cage and don't regret it.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

I agree with that.  My team decided we don't want to give the wives the life insurance money yet.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

We cared enough about the rules and safety that we had our smaller tube cage chopped out and redone before the NCM race.  Cost us another 1200. 

Go with the larger tubing.

12 (edited by mechimike 2017-11-09 05:44 AM)

I did the maths one time on the weight difference between the smaller tubing and the 1.75 x .095.  It was less than the weight difference between having a full load of fuel and an empty tank.  So, not terribly relevant.  Go with the big tube, like everyone else says.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

So significantly less than Friday morning vs. Sunday afternoon when you've gorged yourself all weekend and are plugged up with a concrete of cheese, smoked meat, and alcohol induced dehydration.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

So significantly less than Friday morning vs. Sunday afternoon when you've gorged yourself all weekend and are plugged up with a concrete of cheese, smoked meat, and alcohol induced dehydration.

That's the best way to race!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["