Topic: Looking to form a team or join one near Orange, CA

Hi all - I'm looking to get something going in the Orange or south LA area. Open to ideas on the car and build location. I recently moved here from Florida and had to leave my old team behind - I started and owned one for 4 years and then ran with a couple others as an arrive and drive for a time after that, mainly in chumpcar. For background, I'm a 32yo mechanical engineer, been working flight test for a helicopter company until recently, and have been racing dirtbikes my whole life. I love long walks on the beach and candlelit engine swaps. I'm a clean driver - never wrecked a car, gotten any black flags, or even spun in all of the 15 races I've done. Typically the fastest on the team. My wife likes to come to the races and feed people too.

Msg me if interested, or even if anyone in the area is looking for a wrench! -Jeff

Re: Looking to form a team or join one near Orange, CA

Howdy,

We're in Tustin.  Current fleet is an RX7, Sunbeam Imp and a teammates E46.  We're also friendly with a fairly newly formed team in San Clemente with a Volvo turbo (Robb) and also the madman Spank in Northern San Diego (various British piles).  Occupy Pit Road is in Costa Mesa with an Ecotech powered Miata and there are a couple other OC teams.  Oh, Bill is in Corona with the Yugo.  Chump is struggling for survival out here for reasons too long to get into but I think they have a couple teams in LA but can't think of any in OC offhand.  The Unofficial 24 Hours of Lemons group on facebook has a map showing where teams are located.  We pretty much only have have the Sears Point race left here in California but are discussing next year's races some of which are not Lemons so it would be rude to discuss them here on this forum.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

Sent you a message

Thanks for the replies! That's a helpful rundown. The car I started with was a volvo 740 turbo.. never again, couldn't keep that turbo together to save our lives. I drove a friend's E46 at the first chump COTA race last year, managed to hold 2nd place for a good part of my first stint. Those things are faster than the numbers make them look!

Out of curiosity I went to the SCCA race in fontana this weekend to see what the crowd looked like. They had 141 entries so they weren't hurting for attendance, but their class structure is so broken up most racers are in a class by themselves or with 1 or 2 other cars, and they spend 90% of the time scratching their ass. Boring. So anyway, I got home and looked up the attendance numbers for every Lemons, Chump, LDRL, NASA and SCCA race in the area and all I can say is holy cow, Lemons is killing it out here. Out of 27 races last year they had 4 out of the top 5.  150+ entries for the sonoma races - that's gotta be a blast. I can't wait to get back into it.

Anyway I'm really hoping to find a couple others to jump in the deep end with me and build something fresh, but if that doesn't work out I'll start hunting down an already established team to join up with.

Bill, thanks for the info, I'll shoot you a txt.

We are in costa mesa, 2 miata's,  but have local friends with Lemons BMW's & Camaro's..  etc.

Happy to grab a beer, show you what we have, make any intro's you need

PM me if you want to meet up.

our FB page is @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/1709883 … =bookmarks

Cheers

I have the Volvo turbo wagon Cheseroo was talking about, it's an A or B car that we race like a C car.

Team Black Bird has a Camero in San Clemente, he needs drivers from time to time.  I don't know if he is on the forums though.

kiwiracer- sounds great, I'll hit you up! The ecotech miata swap is brilliant.

rb92673 wrote:

I have the Volvo turbo wagon Cheseroo was talking about, it's an A or B car that we race like a C car.

Team Black Bird has a Camero in San Clemente, he needs drivers from time to time.  I don't know if he is on the forums though.

Haha, sounds exactly like my old team. We'd spend endless time and money to get a couple extra mph in the straights at daytona, then put a driver in that didn't know which way the course went. We said turn left but she kept turning right. True story. Anyway If you ever have any mysterious problems let me know, not sure what year you've got but I learned our '87 backwards and forwards during my time with that car.

I was actually thinking mustang, camaro or corvette for my next build, since why should the circle track guys have all the v8 fun, so I'd love an introduction to the Black Bird guys if possible.

Team Black Bird checking in, We may have an open seat for Sonoma. Give me a call at our shop, Full Tilt Off-Road Equipment in San Clemente.

Larry G.

Hey, my name is bory, been racing ovals in stock cars and legends since 2000, last two years been running enduro cars at irwindale and orange show, I run a 94 Corolla, the only one in the field,
This year alone iv had 6 wins, 3- 2nds, 2-3rd, 2-4ths
Have had fastest laps numerous times, 2 races one at each track led every lap!
No DNF's. With 4th place being my worst finish. I'm consistent smooth and fast! Would love to take your team to the next level. Have great knowledge on how to make a car turn and hookup. Thanks
Live in glendora Cali 626-241-5064