Topic: cheapest air fuel ratio gauge?

Do you guys have A/F ratio gauges? Are they useful for monitoring lean conditions that might blow up your engine? I think I want to do this (small carbureted Italian engine). I think I have a stock old Fiat lambda sensor laying around, what could I possibly plug that into to get a functioning A/F reading? I don't think I need a fancy wideband setup, but not sure. Any suggestions appreciated.

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

Re: cheapest air fuel ratio gauge?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-52mm-LED-Ele … 0507.m3226

I would buy a new 4 wire O2 sensor.  Dont worry about the heater circuit.  Just put both grounds to a good chassis ground and the signal wire to this gauge.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

You really need a wideband if you're looking for useful information, especially WOT tuning.

Wouldn't a narrowband only tell you if you were at, above or below a 14.7 ratio but not how much?

I had a fancy AEM wideband gauge and sensor but I didn't secure the wiring well enough and it melted and fried the gauge.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I have one from Innovate. It works well, but cost a little money up front.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Narrowbands don't really tell you a lot, as rb points out. Conventional wisdom says you want to be about 12.5:1 for best power... all a narrowband will tell you is "rich."

When last I shopped, Innovate was by far the most cost-approachable brand for a wideband. You don't need their expensive gauge, but you do need the controller.

That guy

7 (edited by gunn 2017-10-31 12:51 PM)

I have gotten handmedown innovate and AEM WBO2 gauges for our Lemons car... and they both needed new WBO2 sensors @ $50-70/ea.
I would avoid buying used UNLESS you factored in the cost of a new sensor in the deal.

While the Innovate LC1 is pretty cheap at $120, the AEM WBO2 sensors aren't that much more at ~$150 and come with an actual gauge.
Either solution allows for data output to an external logging system.

If I actually had to buy the gauges, I would probably opt with one that has as gauge.

PS. I think a WBO2 gauge has value even if you are carb'd; I remember seeing these used in a few roadkill episodes to make sure they weren't grenading their engines during drag runs (obviously they killed the engines in other ways).
PSS. I was also given a NBO2 gauge. Dumbest thing ever. "Rich" or "not rich" is all you'd get.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

This is the one I have my eyes on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013UG0G … ref=plSrch

I have a friend with a stroked Pacer.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Agree that the narrowband O2 sensor won't really give you any useful info.

We have the Innovate LC-2 controller and their "DB" gauge with a digital readout - works great. Since we don't have an O2 sensor, the ECU uses a default setting for the mixture (we have an Audi with CIS-E). We usually spend more than a little time at each test day doing short runs and adjusting the AFM (set screw in the differential pressure regulator) to get the mixture on the rich side of stoich when warmed up and at WOT. You don't want to be running lean for any length of time.

The manual says to calibrate IN FREE AIR before using. They mean it. If you try to calibrate with the sensor installed in the exhaust pipe, it won't work correctly, found that out the hard way.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Ok, new wideband gauge kit it is.

AEM a good one? https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO … B00N3VGPYS

I should probably get a complete kit with O2 sensor and bung and all the wiring.

Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

I have this and have been happy with it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-3796- … mp;vxp=mtr

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

zanzabar88 wrote:

I should probably get a complete kit with O2 sensor and bung and all the wiring.

I've got the analog gauge version of that.  I figured it would be easier for me to read while on track.  Price has gone up quite a bit since then.
https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-5130-Anal … B004J2605Y

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

13 (edited by Team Infinniti 2017-10-31 07:22 PM)

+1 for analog

Why?
I have the digital innovate

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

A sparkplug, magnifying glass, and my nose.

No live data...but its pretty accurate..

and lemony.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

A sparkplug, magnifying glass, and my nose.

No live data...but its pretty accurate..

and lemony.

with a turbo motor you really want a gauge. Because running a few laps lean before looking at your plugs can cause serious damage. Also from my experience with old bikes, reading plugs is highly dependent on the throttle position you were at when you turned the engine off. So it takes a lot of work to check WOT, partial throttle, and idle by reading plugs. Your idle and partial - 3/4 throttle can be in a safe region, but then that WOT could still be lean. Gauge takes all the guesswork out. (and driver aides like gauges are budget exempt)

slightly more data since I was distracted last night. I have the Innovate MTX-L (I think there is a newer MTX-L Plus now). Digital readout, but a simulated analog on the gauge face. Really easy to read at a glance.

newer version
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/prod … l_plus.php
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/images/3918_450.jpg

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I think you guys have gone overboard with your own experiences. (EFI, Turbo, Tuning for power)  The OP asked about monitoring for a lean condition on a carb'd engine.  This is what a narrow band is designed for.   Going down the straight with your foot to the floor, keep one eye on the NB as you climb to redline.  If it stays green don't worry about it.
If you are on track and the motor starts popping, missing or down on power.  The NB can give you a quick diagnosis if it is a lean condition, if not maybe its electrical. 
I have an EFI and turbo'd car and my narrow band has worked great to diagnose a bad TPS (running lean) and a bad power wire to the coil (not running lean)
Don't get me wrong, a WB is awesome.  But do you really need it and is it worth the extra money?

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

You are correct. I missed the details about old carb'd engine.

If you're simply trying to watch a lean condition, sure, a narrow band will work.

A wide band will tell you a lot more, but it's not necessarily needed in that case.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I haven't seen any narrowband complete kits that are really very much less expensive. Will probably go with this analog AEM kit for $155 including shipping: https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produ … gKQ1PD_BwE

19 (edited by jrbe 2017-11-01 05:42 PM)

A narrowband o2 sensor is like having a binary fuel gauge. Is there fuel? Yes? No? It's only useful swinging the mixture lean and rich to keep a cat doing it's thing imo.

For the cost of an ok narrowband gauge and narrowband sensor you're around $100. For a bit more you can get a wideband setup that can give you useful info. Like maybe if you want to rejet it, how's it actually doing?

Also realize that wideband sensors drift a lot. AEM and a lot of the other fancy wideband gauges can not be recalibrated if the sensor drifts. I've seen AEM setups along with mxl? Read 10.0+ off from horribly drifted sensors. No hint at them being bad.

People think the innovate setups are finicky because they will throw a code for a bad sensor. Somehow they don't realize that's a very good thing to not blindly trust a bad sensor. The innovate can also be calibrated to a drifted sensor. Most others can't be.

To me, if you want to know, why not be able to see real info for a little bit more $? It will also be able to actually help you tune it when you want to.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

As I understand, there are now wideband o2 sensors used in OEM vehicles, so you don't need to buy expensive aftermarket products.
I believe the later model Volvo engines use wideband 02s.  So you can just hookup a voltage meter to output as 'Lemons cheap' solution.  smile

About half way down, how a wideband sensor works.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/news3.php

jrbe wrote:

A narrowband o2 sensor is like having a binary fuel gauge. Is there fuel? Yes? No? It's only useful swinging the mixture lean and rich to keep a cat doing it's thing imo.

It is not binary, it has 3 positions.  AFR < 14.7; AFR = 14.7; AFR >14.7
But to sum up this thread:
NBO2: good to monitor stock engine to make sure nothing is broke.  Cost $20 if your car already has a O2 sensor
WBO2: Gives actual AFR and is needed for tuning modified engines.  Cost $150 to $200 for complete kit

zanzabar88 wrote:

I have this one.
Wiring was straightforward. Since I got it used, I picked up a bung from Summit for $5 (add-on to one of my orders).
Apparently, there is some debate about just buying a BOSCH vs AEM part # for the replacement WBO2.
Considering the cost delta as $20 and I was only buying one of them, i just went ahead and sucked it up and bought the AEM part # replacement.

Other recommendation: set it up to tune for Lambda (not AFR).
Why?
the AFR for Stoichiometric combustion (stoich for short) for pure gasoline is different from E10 (what we have in CA) and E85. This can make discussions confusing as a target of 12.5 (slightly rich) will mean a different combination for pure gas vs E10.

A lambda of 1 is the stoich point no matter what fuel you use. This makes calibration easy (just aim for .77 to .85 Lambda at WOT).

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

I have a Sunpro narrow band gauge that you can have for shipping cost. Worked well on my 20r with Holley and Weber

PM if interested.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Anarchyjet wrote:
jrbe wrote:

It is not binary, it has 3 positions.  AFR < 14.7; AFR = 14.7; AFR >14.7

I get what you're saying.
But look at a narrow band voltage / a/f ratio graph, like asking which side of the fence are you on?
There is a third spot, I'm standing on the fence.