Topic: Potential spectator - worth the trip?

My husband will be a new driver in the upcoming December race in Sonoma, CA.   When we first talked about him doing the race, it sounded like so much fun and I envisioned days spent talking to friends in the pits, watching the race, and having an occasional beer. We have one year old daughter who would accompany us for the weekend and we were thinking of renting an RV to camp at the raceway.  That way, we would be able to put her down for naps mid-day and have all the resources we needed available right there.

As the race comes closer, however, we have both started to question these plans and an alternative scenario has popped into my head. One where I spend the weekend trying to wrangle a wiggly one year old while my husband and friends are busy working on the car and driving. One where I spend the whole time trying to stave off boredom while being essentially stuck at the track.

We live in southern California so a day trip is not an option.  We have thought of switching from the RV idea to a nearby hotel from which the kiddo and I can take day trips to the surrounding area.  However, this option seems so removed from what I anticipate will be the fun atmosphere you get staying at the track. Long story short, we are debating whether or not it is worth having myself and the kiddo make the trek up there at all.

For those of you who have participated in the lemon races before, did you have family accompany you? Did they have fun? What did they do with the their time? Would you recommend camping on site with an RV or renting a nearby hotel?

Re: Potential spectator - worth the trip?

I'll just leave these here:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LAF16/0334-IMG_6693.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LAF16/0110-IMG_7898.jpg

I will say, though, that they did NOT stay the night at the track because they lived not too far away.

We did not compete but we went to our first Lemons race as a spectator with outlet camper it was a blast. The night time when the track was cold was entertaining and the stuff you see all day long is awesome

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2017-11-01 05:43 PM)

So find Tetanus Racing and Dr. Wife here or on facebook (Mary something).  They have been bringing their kids to the races since the second was still a fetus (she judged instead of drove during that period).  They have kids at the track down to a science.  They used an RV at the Gingerman 10th Anniversary race, Hotel at Barber, etc, etc.

In short, the kid won't get much out of the racing.  People not involved with car will have lots of time that is not that interesting if you just focus on the racing but "Team Mom" duties are hugely useful (maybe cooking but more making sure people eat, drink, pee before their stint, show up where they should, etc).  Bring a book.  Watch a TV show, etc.

Edit: found her...https://www.facebook.com/mary.e.harris.73  Super approachable and more than willing to answer problems.  She does race most of the time but I have yet to see her husband in the car (though I am sure it happens?).

OnkelUdo wrote:

So find Tetanus Racing and Dr. Wife here or on facebook (Mary something).  They have been bringing their kids to the races since the second was still a fetus (she judged instead of drove during that period).  They have kids at the track down to a science.  They used an RV at the Gingerman 10th Anniversary race, Hotel at Barber, etc, etc.

In short, the kid won't get much out of the racing.  People not involved with car will have lots of time that is not that interesting if you just focus on the racing but "Team Mom" duties are hugely useful (maybe cooking but more making sure people eat, drink, pee before their stint, show up where they should, etc).  Bring a book.  Watch a TV show, etc.

Edit: found her...https://www.facebook.com/mary.e.harris.73  Super approachable and more than willing to answer problems.  She does race most of the time but I have yet to see her husband in the car (though I am sure it happens?).

What he said. There are many folks who have a great weekend bringing tiny children to the track; as a DINK I can't address that, but I will say that generally, I have invited friends and family out to the race on several occasions- it's a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon into the evening, but a whole weekend at the track isn't usually great for non-racers. There are many non-racing activities around the Sonoma region to take in, unlike at most tracks.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

6 (edited by CowDriver 2017-11-01 06:23 PM)

Team Eyesore at Buttonwillow (2014):

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/IMG_1482a.JPG

This was one of the very few races where mom did not drive.
Note baby's wrist band.

Same kid a few years later:

http://www.flying-disk.com/alan/IMG_3574a.JPG

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Note that there are not any accommodations close to the track.  Guessing it's a minimum 20 minute drive to civilization.  The wives came with us once to Sonoma and proceeded to get pounded doing the wine country thing.  Hardly made it to the track.  That said, people do bring kids of all sizes to the races.  If you are the type that can keep yourself occupied/entertained for hours on end, you'll be fine.  Watching the races can be like watching paint dry after a while.  Also note that rain is always a possibility at Sonoma.  Seems to happen more often during the March race weekend but something to think about.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Sonoma is good in that there are multiple excellent viewing spots, including a grandstand.
If it rains, you can always hang out in the garage.   It is one long garage with no walls between
the teams.   That is also where Tech and BS judging is held on Friday, and the Penalty Box
on Saturday & Sunday.   The garage windows also provide an excellent view of the
hairpin turn right before the straight -- a good place to see some fancy avoidance maneuvers
(and failure to do so).

The bathroom facilities at Sonoma are probably better than any other track Lemons uses,
including hot showers.

In my opinion, go with the RV option.
I have been bringing wife and kids to the races for years.  Although kids go less now that they are more grown and busy with school.
But the wife now wants to race the car...and I can't say no, even though she is slow on the track....since she helps out tremendously with food, drinks, hospitality, parts gopher, etc.  Which is ok...she only wants to drive one hour per day...but she loves it.
But we bring stuff for the kids to do...and try to give them stuff to do.  They like looking at the goofy cars too, drawing with chalk on the floor and the car, playing with remote control cars, riding bikes, etc.
But for you with a one year old:

Bring the RV, but maybe have a second car.
You could be part of the action, but take a break in the RV.  Kid could nap in the RV while you relax.  Having a second car, you could drive off to do stuff (especially on Sunday).  Plus, you could be a gopher, in case the team needs stuff, or food.

In a hotel, you will be isolated and bored.  Plus, it is a hassle to go back and forth from hotel to track.  In an RV, you have everything there.  Food could be heated for baby, baby could sleep anytime, easy to wash kid in case of poopy explosion, you could eat in rv instead of restaurants, etc.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003008623257/media/103448169902/small/1509590746795/enhance

(note baby play crib in front, not ours though...!)

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

There are also a couple of ladies who will look after kids for a while, to give you a break.

Wow everybody! Thanks for the great information and encouragement and advice. This got me excited for the races again!

My family is pretty involved in my team, which has evolved into a two car operation. While they do hang out sometimes at the track, if you're not directly involved with everything, it can be kind of boring and with our two kids, somewhat of a handful. 

My wife towed out the 2nd car to Washington from Utah for the last race. We got a hotel, and it was agreed that she would become a tourist and take the kids to see the sights around the Pacific Northwest during the first two days of racing. The family then showed mid-day Sunday to cheer the team on to the checker.

I suppose what I'm saying the hotel idea is not a bad option. You can still hang out at the track but if you want to bug out for a while, you have somewhere to go to get away from it all.

Yeah; I like Fieros! Sue me!
Salty Thunder Racing
#90 1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport
#63 1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe