Topic: Rhodes weld in cage

Has anyone used the Rhodes roll cage? If so, what are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Re: Rhodes weld in cage

We put one in our Mustang.
The tubes are bent, not all of them are notched.
It’s very labor intensive and time consuming. Took me 5x as longer to put in than I thought it would. Pretty sure that’s the case with any cage installation.

Bob

We used Roll Cage Components.  Everything was bend and notched, just a little cutting to fit it in.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

We used Roll Cage Components also...only some minor cutting required to fit...everything was bent and notched nicely.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Thanks for the info guys working on my first build so trying to get all the info I️ can

Pre-bent is a great way to go. I know in your other thread you said it was a miata, so the cages for those are all well defined. It will be very easy to fit up. I used roll cage components as well for my E36 and the kit fits amazingly well.

Most kits you order that way come with bars that are a little long and you'll have to do most of the notching and trimming. It's not hard, but you'll need to get used to how you measure and mark before notching. If you want to customize the cage give them a call, they should be willing to customize things like door bar styles, add in extra bars, etc.

The harbor freight tube notcher works, but isn't amazing. Mine has caged 3 cars and the bushings are finally shot. Clamp it in a vise and use a hand drill. You may have to shim the tube clamp to center everything. But for $50 it's hard to beat.

When you do assemble, tack the whole cage together, make sure you're happy with how it all goes together. It's hard to pull it apart and fix things later when you start finish welding from the start.

Since the miata is a short car pay extra attention to head clearance. The rules define that your helmet must be 2" inside the area of the cage (see the "how not to fail tech" doc for a picture. Make sure you set the main hoop high enough compared to your seat to not have problems at tech.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Since the miata is a short car pay extra attention to head clearance. The rules define that your helmet must be 2" inside the area of the cage (see the "how not to fail tech" doc for a picture. Make sure you set the main hoop high enough compared to your seat to not have problems at tech.

and if all this fail to meet the needs for height, add a bow bar in the mid-point of the halo and be done with it.  There are SO many examples of this but more than happy to dig one up.  If in doubt and ordering from Roll Cage Components, ask him to add one to the order...probably less than $25 if you do it at order time and you can install it or not based on your needs.

Thanks for all the great advice guys i am gonna order a roll cage components cage this week I’m pretty siked for the build and sorry no to come