Topic: Transponder and tracking

After completing our first race, and some of us on the team being computer jockeys,  what transponders are compatible with the Lemons Series and which one would offer live data to the pits?  I was looking at the MyLaps X2 along with the data feed to get the live data in the pits.  Any suggestions?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Re: Transponder and tracking

What level of live data? Because there's already live tracking of lap times and position through race monitor.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Map overlay for position on the track and speed data going into turns, straights and such.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

4 (edited by TheEngineer 2017-11-16 12:52 PM)

you're not going to get that from a transponder. Most tracks have a loop only at the start finish, so the only data you're going to get from a transponder is your last lap time and the change in position at that time.

if you're looking for that level of data you're going to have to dive down the rabbit hole that is data acquisition. You can start with simple smartphone apps, and go all the way to big $$$ dedicated systems.

Edit: It appears i'm not well versed in the new transponder models. There does in fact appear to be updates to the X2  if you get the X2 link that will give live GPS position. Looks like $$$ with all the subscriptions and such, but it exists. I THINK the x2 is compatible with all the timing setup that Lemons has, so yes, you can use it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

While I've never used it, Harry's Lap Timer phone app seems to get a lot of raves.  Originally only on the iPhone, I see it's now available for Android but there seems to be discussion about android add-in devices which leads me to speculate that the android version isn't as full featured as the iPhone one.  Not sure if it includes remote telemetry but seems like you could just point a streaming camera at the live telemetry on the phone.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The X2 Link won't work since only one track on the schedule has the base antenna system installed, and Lemons uses the old TranX/X2 Loop encoder system, and really it doesn't do much over the basic transponder's job except cost more for the subscription. (but no more digging a pit across the race track.)

The regular X2 Transponder will work. But only buy if you will be racing more than 3x a year otherwise wasted money on the annual subscription.

There are ways to get Position and data out of your car through smart phone rigs, OR if your Arduino-FU is strong, via home brewed means.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

As a matter of fact. one of our team members has an Arduino.  He may have a project now, thanks.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

cheseroo wrote:

While I've never used it, Harry's Lap Timer phone app seems to get a lot of raves.  Originally only on the iPhone, I see it's now available for Android but there seems to be discussion about android add-in devices which leads me to speculate that the android version isn't as full featured as the iPhone one.  Not sure if it includes remote telemetry but seems like you could just point a streaming camera at the live telemetry on the phone.

They both work the same.

If you want more accuracy external GPS devices can be used.

If you are not budget constrained and there is decent cell coverage at the tracks you race, Race Capture Pro will stream a metric-&h!t-ton of data live through their monitoring website.  https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapture_mk3_apex/

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

We are looking at options.  As far as getting real time updates, I have a 35w radio modem set up that can be used to transmit data, all it needs is a 12v power supply.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Check out "Track Addict" .  You can overlay the GPS info from it and your video from GoPro to make really cool videos.

Grip wrote:

Check out "Track Addict" .  You can overlay the GPS info from it and your video from GoPro to make really cool videos.

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdis … r-Products

moose72 wrote:

We are looking at options.  As far as getting real time updates, I have a 35w radio modem set up that can be used to transmit data, all it needs is a 12v power supply.

GOOD NEWS!!!!! Unless you are running something really old.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport