Topic: Q: Has anyone raced a v10 in Lemons?

Random thanksgiving day musing as I wait for the thanksgiving day festivities to start...

Q: I know there as been much discussion of Ford triton V10s for tow rigs on the forums and several BMW+Jaguar v12s have already raced in Lemons but has anyone actually entered a v10 engine powered lemon yet? V12s down 2 cylinders doesn't count smile

I assume it would have to be an "ill advised engine swap" since any viper chassis would totally make waves with the "$500 my ass set" (myself included) even if it had something awful swapped in.

My guess is that a ford v10 (more likely) or maybe a dodge truck v10 (less likely) would be the most likely donors since any VW/Audi (even the diesel v10), BMW, or Toyota V10 would be so far out of Lemons money it wouldn't even be funny.

-g

PS. While not a V10, I'd love to hear if anyone managed to build a dual engine i5 Lemons travesty.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Re: Q: Has anyone raced a v10 in Lemons?

Your Tbird is designed for modular Ford power. Can't be that hard to make the Econoline van V10 fit smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

3 (edited by DirtyDuc 2017-11-23 07:13 PM)

And those modular motors totally share parts and everything! roll

That guy

I'd think I'd spend my time modifying the current V8 (or new V8) would go much further and be much easier then trying to jam a V10 into your engine bay.  Do a cam upgrade, port and mill the heads. intake, cheater oil pan, headers and paint it rust brown over grease.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I'd say the 302 he has in  the Thunderbird makes infinitely more sense than a Triton V10 for our racing, but someone's got to be the first V10... And yes, I've never understood what's modular about that engine. 

But hey,  it's from Ford. home of the 351C, 351M, and 351W, to say nothing of the 427,428,and 429, oh, and also unrelated 460 and 462 engines. And the Essex/Cologne v6s which, you guessed it,don't share parts.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

I'd say the 302 he has in  the Thunderbird makes infinitely more sense than a Triton V10 for our racing, but someone's got to be the first V10... And yes, I've never understood what's modular about that engine. 

But hey,  it's from Ford. home of the 351C, 351M, and 351W, to say nothing of the 427,428,and 429, oh, and also unrelated 460 and 462 engines. And the Essex/Cologne v6s which, you guessed it,don't share parts.

maybe he wants to pull stumps out on the off weekends?

Type44 wrote:

And the Essex/Cologne v6s which, you guessed it,don't share parts.

Those are okay but for serious racing the choice must come down to the similarly incompatible Essex V4 and Taunus V4.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Way back there was a V10 done (or planned at least) on the MN12 Thunderbird and Cougar Club forum. I think radiator became a huge problem.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

9 (edited by DirtyDuc 2017-11-25 08:47 AM)

If it doesn't fit in front of the engine, just put it on the roof or the passenger seat or something. This is a solvable problem...

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

If it doesn't fit in front of the engine, just put it on the roof or the passenger seat or something. This is a solvable problem...

All the cool kids are doing it

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Project-Cars/Frankenmiata/i-JQw7CwF/0/M/P1020097-M.jpg

We were ever-so-close to installing an 8.0 Magnum in the Bluesmobile as there was one in my local u-pull-it and the car was already set up for a 360. But the fuel system meant I'd have to splurge on a cell, along with swapping a non-4x4 47RH trans. I took the cheapskate route...

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Would it count to have two 5 cylinder engines?

Also, does Lemons require a car to have a reverse gear, or otherwise be able to backup on its own power?
I'd assume the snowmobile miata didn't have reverse, so not needed, but thought i'd ask.

13 (edited by gunn 2017-11-27 02:37 PM)

My 302 makes enough power for us and I have no desire to invest the time/money to figure out how to swap in a v10 into our chassis.
That being said, I've love to see someone try to do the same in another car with a huge, long engine bay (maybe an old 240z?)
https://jalopnik.com/5336153/1971-datsu … 2-for-9800
I also agree that radiator placement shouldn't be an issue in Lemons.

I'm still surprised that noone has attempted to run Lemons with a v10 though but I guess V12s are cheaper for those that just cant get enough cylinders.
This is interesting considering that nearly every other major engine configuration and head type has been run (i3, i4, i5, i6, i8, v2, v4, v6, narrow angle v6, v12, H4, H6, rotary, radial,  SOHC, DOHC, pushrod, hemi, flat head, turbo, diesel, SC, 2 stroke, etc).

Maybe not twincharging yet as well but I'm sure someone has worked on it for no particular reason.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

... nearly every other major engine configuration and head type has been run (i4, i6, i8, v2, v4, v6, v12, H4, H6, rotary, radial,  SOHC, DOHC, pushrod, hemi, flat head, turbo, diesel, SC, 2 stroke, etc)...

You forgot i5

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Spank wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:

All the cool kids are doing it

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Project-Cars/Frankenmiata/i-JQw7CwF/0/M/P1020097-M.jpg

no thanks, who wants all that hot air right next to you? as if it wasn't hot enough in the car....

^ That looks to be the eyesore miata halfway through the build.  The radiator exhaust is ducted out the back of the car.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

RSB wrote:
gunn wrote:

... nearly every other major engine configuration and head type has been run (i4, i6, i8, v2, v4, v6, v12, H4, H6, rotary, radial,  SOHC, DOHC, pushrod, hemi, flat head, turbo, diesel, SC, 2 stroke, etc)...

You forgot i5

Corrected. I also added narrow angle v6.

I also suspect that a W8 probably has not been run yet although there was a guy "with one in his backyard" he was thinking about prepping.
I would still love to see a triton v10 and all of its spark plug blowing glory on the track.
-g

RSB wrote:
gunn wrote:

You forgot i5

And i3.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

19 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2017-11-27 11:17 PM)

mharrell wrote:
RSB wrote:
gunn wrote:

You forgot i5

And i3.

Does that mean an i2 hasn't been run yet?  wink
Or an H2  ?   

How about a 2 stroke v8...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrhsUXnodfw
Or Radial Engine?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfson8bqi8c

So, while I love the Rudezon... then we would have to configure each of the cylinder configurations with each of the engine cycles... rotary and radial don't really fit in any of the configurations.

That guy

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Or Radial Engine?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfson8bqi8c

Radial has been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8InG6T9pxs

cheseroo wrote:

^ That looks to be the eyesore miata halfway through the build.  The radiator exhaust is ducted out the back of the car.

even "ducted" that thing is going to be a heat sink  1 foot away.... an added 200* right next to you...

Mr.Yuck wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

even "ducted" that thing is going to be a heat sink  1 foot away.... an added 200* right next to you...

Yea, it does seem to slow them down quite a bit...

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ … route.aspx

Mr.Yuck wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Do you want to be comfortable?

Or Do You Want To

DOMINATE~!!!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Hmm...
I've seen a few $400-$900 Lincolns for sale that are pretty beat up and one with a bad engine.
And I know where there's a V10 F350 that was rolled.
Evil thoughts...