Topic: Drill bits

Looking for recommendation for a gift. What stays sharp forever, drills through diamond, and costs less than $1.35?

Re: Drill bits

Don't buy them at Harbor Freight.   Seriously, don't.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

I disagree. They have an index of Cobalt bits. Lots of people have discussed them in machinists forums singing their praises.

And they guarantee them for life.
https://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-co … 61886.html

Seriously. The cashier at Harbor Freight says they take back used drill bits all the time because they guarantee their tools for life. To me, that takes balls (bring back a smoked drill bit, that is).

CowDriver wrote:

I mean for the given price range the only other option is Uncooked Fusilli.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
CowDriver wrote:

From experience that is far too brittle unless it is steamed for at least a couple of minutes.

Now, three year old COOKED fusilli allowed to dry is much better.  The aging process is the key.

6 (edited by cheseroo 2017-12-15 11:19 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
CowDriver wrote:

From experience that is far too brittle unless it is steamed for at least a couple of minutes.

Now, three year old COOKED fusilli allowed to dry is much better.  The aging process is the key.

Any recommendations on cutting oil recipes?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

If steel,  you can find cutting oil at your local building supply store.  Just go to the plumbing dept. and look for the area where they sell  pipe threading dies, etc. Engine oil will do if you want almost as well.  You want something thick so it doesn't get slung off by the drill bit as it spins.
WD40 works well on aluminum and if you have nothing else on steel as well.

I like to keep a small sharping stone around to dress up drill bits. Keeping the bit sharp goes  a long way towards happy drilling!

Also I like to buy extra small drill bits, like 3/64ths or 1/8th inch in size. I use them to drill a pilot hole when I'm drilling a hole 3/8th or larger.
Ther're usually cheap and it saves the more expensive larger drill bits from dulling sooner.

cheseroo wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Mostly used motor oil but in a pinch, you could use Canola or Peanut...just remember to leave the flavored olive oil on the shelf for this activity.  Peanut oil smell like french fries a bit when it hits about 500f.

OnkelUdo wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Mostly used motor oil but in a pinch, you could use Canola or Peanut...just remember to leave the flavored olive oil on the shelf for this activity.  Peanut oil smell like french fries a bit when it hits about 500f.

I have some garlic sesame olive oil that I really like.  Will it not lubricate well?  I also like the smell of french fries.  Is there a turning speed/bit size/material chart I can use that shows how best to get to 500f?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)