Topic: RV Rental Websites - Any Good?

After 2 years of rain at Jersey, and a frigid Road Atlanta and Barber, I am thinking about renting an RV for some races.  They aren't super cheap, but if the team can live in the RV for the race then the price could be less than that of everyone getting a hotel room.  Plus, being out of the elements is really nice.  I always camp, so constant rain and/or freezing temps are less than fun in most cases.  The snow at Road Atlanta managed to partially collapse the tent once, and then the rain eventually started seeping through the tent sad  So, has anyone had any experience with RV rental sites?  It's a little sketchy to me.

Thanks!

Re: RV Rental Websites - Any Good?

I'm using RVshare.com for Barber, it's an annoying concept as after booking one I got a bunch of emails from other owners trying to rent me theirs. I guess they all got notified that I was looking.

I'll let you know how it works out, I booked a 35 ft travel trailer that sleeps 11.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

We've used RVshare with success for some tracks, and find it preferable to some of the corporate places.
Trying out a new one, Outdoorsy.com, for the NOLA race this year.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Brett85p wrote:

I'm using RVshare.com for Barber, it's an annoying concept as after booking one I got a bunch of emails from other owners trying to rent me theirs. I guess they all got notified that I was looking.

I'll let you know how it works out, I booked a 35 ft travel trailer that sleeps 11.

How was your experience?

proto17 wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

How was your experience?

Very good, the owner was super helpful, was ok with it not coming back perfectly clean and ok getting it back to him a bit later than the required time.

I expect it comes down the the individual owners but I will definitely use Rv Share again.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:
proto17 wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

How was your experience?

Very good, the owner was super helpful, was ok with it not coming back perfectly clean and ok getting it back to him a bit later than the required time.

I expect it comes down the the individual owners but I will definitely use Rv Share again.

Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  Considering doing something like that for the NJ race in May smile

In the past we have rented a RV at NJ but just posting in the RV section of CL.  I think we paid $650 for a Bounder that a local delivered to the track and setup for us then came by Sunday and took it away.  It had heat (we needed it), showers, kitchen and was dry and slept everyone.  I got the idea from another team so it may be worth trying.  The NJ race can be cold and rainy or hot and dry (or both).

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

We rented at CMP from a regular RV rental type place.  We tried RVShare but people were flaky, didn't respond, or had weird restrictions (like, we weren't allowed to drive it).  In the end, we got a 40' RV that we picked up, drove to the track, slept in for 2 or 3 nights, and were very pleased with the experience.  We ran the generator 24/7 on the thing to have A/C in the RV and not be tied to track power, and the extra $$ for running it wasn't much. 

We did take "navy" showers (leave the water off except when rinsing) and never had to fill the tank or empty the waste.  Navy showers in your own RV >>>>> Track showers. 

I think the total bill for the 3 days was like $800, split among 5 guys.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I never responded after my rental experience.  I rented from RV Share for the MSR race.  The owner was very flexible with times and understanding that coming from AL, there was just no way to know when I was going to arrive.  It was pretty expensive (about $1,200 after tank cleaning fees) but the trailer was amazing.  It was a 34' class A that came completely stocked.  The owner commented to us that he likes to treat it like an Airbnb and he was right.  Everything we needed short of food was provided.  And the RV was in amazing shape.  Could not have been happier!

mechimike wrote:

Navy showers in your own RV >>>>> Track showers.

...but there's a fireplace in the bathroom at NHMS.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Our rvshare experience at Road Atlanta was excellent. Amazing service and baller-status trailer. Also, the dude who we rented it from bought an SN95 to race in Lemons between the time he dropped it off and the time he picked it up.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner