Topic: Crown Vic cage possibilities

We are looking into doing a crown vic and have seen alot at previous Lemons races. We are hoping to be able to buy a prefab cage or weld in kit instead of getting one custom built. Now I know that the chance of finding a prefab for a crown vic is like trying to find sober people in bar, but i was hoping that maybe another team had hit pay dirt and either

a) found a company crazy enough to sell prefabs or weld in kits for crown vics

or

b) bought a prefab cage or weld in kit for another car that they were able to adapt.

any info or help would be much appreciated.  Thanks,        -Kyle

2 (edited by Serj 2010-02-18 10:09 PM)

Re: Crown Vic cage possibilities

I honestly don't think there is one. For our crown vic my dad dropped $600 on 1.75x0.134 ERW, and broke out the string, tape measure, and chop saw. Borrowing a decent pipe-bender for good measure, he came up with a really solid custom one, then paid a guy that did welding off the back of his truck to come and do it up. not the best WELDS in the world, but cage will probably stand up to anything.

i was happy with the one these guys made for my VW.

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits7.htm

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I doubt there is any "on the shelf" kits for a Crown Vic....since they are either cop cars or taxi cabs and either way need a backseat....  The good news is there is plenty of room inside to fit a good solid cage!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Call Mike @ Maier Racing; if anyone has a kit, he'll know about it.  If you're in the Bay Area, have him or Mitch at Muffler Works in El Cerrito (510.526.5003) do the cage.  You'll be very happy you did.
If you're outside of the Bay Area, any local race shop should be able to make something for you. 
Kits, in my experience, are not always the best way to go.

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

Where are you?   maybe we can steer you toward a good cage builder

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Duh, sorry John.  Evil Genius is kinda good with cages too.  wink

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

I am not sure exactly how well this will work but a cage for a 1978 Caprice, Delta 88... and what not may work. Jegs makes one to Lemons spec.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/94670 … tId=749658

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

9 (edited by RobL 2010-02-19 06:52 AM)

That cage from Jegs is like the one pictured below and doesn't have a true main hoop diagnal and will not pass tech as presented. 

http://www.jegs.com/instructions/555/rollcage.pdf

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/cages/rollcagedrawing1.gif

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

That cage from Jegs is like the one pictured below and doesn't have a true main hoop diagnal and will not pass tech as presented. 

http://www.jegs.com/instructions/555/rollcage.pdf

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li … awing1.gif

Easily fixed with a straight length of tube, fishmouthed to be welded into place.

The hardest part is the bends.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Yes, I've fixed those cages before.  I just thought it needed to be said that the cage is not exactly Lemons legal out of the box...  That is like the cage the green mitsu. had and they were scrambling around on Friday to get it fixed.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Check out Day Motorsports.  They make circle track cages (ERW not DOM) that will work but you'll have to add a few pieces.  $200 will get you nearly everything.

http://www.daymotorsports.com/product/1 … _ROLL_CAGE

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

yeah, the big deal is the backstays, the main hoop diagonal, and the door bars. you could buy a kit and a few straight lengths of ERW or even DOM with that kit and probably make it work really well. Plus side is you'd be able to dodge the tough bends. downside is you'd still have to buy more steel. I know a guy in NW ohio/SE mich area who can do a good legal cage for under $1,000. just make sure to emphasize you want nascar-style door bars. (I got the X pattern and It's annoying tbh)

This actually brings up an interesting question...

Does any one in the DFW area or Texas in General know of a steel mill that sells 1.5x120 DOM for a decent cost?

A couple of online shops want almost $100 for a 20 foot length.

Sons of STIG

Since the kit comes with 5 door bars, you can take one, cut off the bends at each end and use it as one rear brace off of the main hoop.  Buy enough material to make the diagonal and one additional rear brace and you've got it beat.  I agree that the X-bar is a pain.  I'd rather do two parallel bars with vertical braces and gussets rather than an X-bar with taco gussets.
Metal by the Foot sells 1.5X.120 wall DOM tubing for $4.50 per foot.  And then you STILL have to find someone with a Hossfeld or Tube Shark to bend it up.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

16 (edited by Mulry 2010-02-19 09:45 AM)

Riktor wrote:

Does any one in the DFW area or Texas in General know of a steel mill that sells 1.5x120 DOM for a decent cost?

A little more than a year ago I got 1.5x.120 DOM at EMJ/Earle M. Jorgensen in Oak Cliff. I got 80' in 4x20' sticks and I think the total was about $250 or $280 picked up at their yard. I just emailed or called them and they had it ready and available. They are a huge yard and I've been told that they don't "normally" sell such small lots and usually sell to other intermediate suppliers rather than direct sales, so I can't promise that you can duplicate these results. We bought this at pretty much the bottom of the market when nobody was buying much of anything and I think their sales force might have been glad to take any commission that they could get. IOW, YMMV.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks everyone for your input! I have some decent options to check out and pick from. You guys really have been a big help. Happy LeMoning!         -Kyle

Lemons roll cage spec says,

3.1.1: Rollbar Tubing and Padding: Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50" x .120" or 1.75" x .095". Cars weighing over 3000 pounds as raced must use a minimum tubing size of 1.75" x .120".

Have your crown vics been over or under 3000 lbs on raceday?

I'm quite enticed by the Day Motorsports option (Thanks Lemonious Monk!) but if the car ends up over 3000 it wont pass tech. Anyone got figures on their race ready weight and what all they decided to take out of their Vic for weight reduction?  Thanks again                   -Kyle

Riktor wrote:

metal suprmarket, over in irving? metal sales in gainesville also.

motorhead2047 wrote:

Lemons roll cage spec says,

3.1.1: Rollbar Tubing and Padding: Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50" x .120" or 1.75" x .095". Cars weighing over 3000 pounds as raced must use a minimum tubing size of 1.75" x .120".

Have your crown vics been over or under 3000 lbs on raceday?

I'm quite enticed by the Day Motorsports option (Thanks Lemonious Monk!) but if the car ends up over 3000 it wont pass tech. Anyone got figures on their race ready weight and what all they decided to take out of their Vic for weight reduction?  Thanks again                   -Kyle

I have no idea how much weight we pulled out of our CVPI. the stickered curb weight was a touch under 4,000lbs. the weight of the cage probably offsets the interior removal more than adequately. Bottom line, we built over-spec requirements and used 1.75x0.134 ERW.

21 (edited by mrfxst 2010-02-23 01:48 PM)

This is who we got our cage from. It needed very little cutting to make work. 1996 CV

Jackasic wrote:

Mello Kab
1996 Crown Vic
2 time  Least Horrible Yank Tank Award

mrfxst wrote:

This is who we got our cage from. It needed very little cutting to make work. 1996 CV

Jackasic wrote:

We got our from these guys too, and it sort of fit.  We had to modify the halo, horizontal bar on the main hoop, and the diagnonal, but we made it work. 

In my experience if you don't have the skills to 'make it work' you'd better get a bolt-in cage from Autopower or have someone do all the work for you.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We got our cage kit for our Metro from http://swracecars.com

They make Lemons-specific kits. You just have to measure and get somebody competent to put it together.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

I used the Day motorsports cage and it was a good start.  Our pre-bent bars conflicted with our B-pillar, so we couldn't really use them.  The straight section in those gave us about 18 inches for use which didn't solve any diagonals or rear supports. 

I wouldn't expect you'll be able to pull out over 1000 lbs from the car to get under that 3000lbs.  The day cage shipped at 150lbs, and there was another bar for the rear supports, diagonal, and a door bar at 48lbs, so there's another 200lbs that will have to come out of it. 

That Swracecars cage sounds like a great option next to Day

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

We bought our DOM tubing from these guys  http://www.ryerson.com/      pricing was pretty good compared to what I've seen online. They appear to have multiple locations.

Team Shrimp Boots
Ein Anderer ScheiB E-30,   Who Dat !!