Re: Joliet 2018 Roll Call!

Dropped Packets Racing is bringing the burned up Tie-Fighter Acura to Joliet.    However, I am the only driver who has been in a race before - I am introducing five rookie drivers to the Lemons Experience so do not be surprised to see massive speed differentials between drivers and point bys to Pintos from a Class A car.   Our goal is survival and having a good time and the rookies will be under instruction to drive cautiously and follow someone who looks like they know what they are doing.

One question - are there designated pit/paddock areas at Autobahn?  I don't see anything on their website about that, so thought I would ask here.   

Looking forward to getting on the track!

Basically find a not cordoned off “Members only” spot on the asphalt or the edge of the entry road if you need some tent space. It’s more parking lot than paddock.

Think country club, not working track.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

28 (edited by therood 2018-02-27 10:20 AM)

bumkus wrote:

One question - are there designated pit/paddock areas at Autobahn?  I don't see anything on their website about that, so thought I would ask here.   

Unless you're an Autobahn Country Club member (or someone on your team is), the paddock is all first-come, first-serve. To exit the track, you have to drive past the track entrance on pit road. That always throws some people off. It also means the spots between the entrance and exit go first, usually on Thursday evening.

Fueling is in the paddock because the hot pit is too small for Lemons.

Very technical drawing:

https://i.imgur.com/PEPDS6z.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

bumkus wrote:

I am introducing five rookie drivers to the Lemons Experience so do not be surprised to see massive speed differentials between drivers and point bys to Pintos from a Class A car.   Our goal is survival and having a good time and the rookies will be under instruction to drive cautiously and follow someone who looks like they know what they are doing.

Funny...Bad Decisions likely will have 3-4 newbies plus our core team of 5 drivers.  We are bringing both former IoE winners the Dustbuster and the 1947 (or is it '48) Plymouth so the only place you will notice much difference is that the van can brake REALLY deep into the corner which I doubt (and hope) most of the newbies will be willing to do.

Plymouth will be a little different than its maiden voyage.

Bearings Deep Racing will be there for our first Joliet experience in the Focus. New theme. New number. Same mediocre driving and reliability.

Beer and Jelly Beans will be making its Lemons debut with Bruce the 1999 Mercury Ecto-Cougar! Over a year in making....

Team of 5 engineers, 3 virgins to organized racing, 1 with Lemons experience and one with past SCCA/MCSCC.

Can't wait!

Bryan

therood wrote:
bumkus wrote:

Unless you're an Autobahn Country Club member (or someone on your team is), the paddock is all first-come, first-serve. To exit the track, you have to drive past the track entrance on pit road. That always throws some people off. It also means the spots between the entrance and exit go first, usually on Thursday evening.

Very technical drawing:

how late can one's team show up on Thursday and get in?

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

stangman4ever wrote:
therood wrote:
bumkus wrote:

Very technical drawing:

how late can one's team show up on Thursday and get in?

From what I remember, the gates close at either 10 or 11pm.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

When in doubt, Call the track:
815-722-2223

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

35 (edited by GTPquickRB 2018-03-07 09:42 PM)

Nightmares on Elm St will be showing up for our 1st ever Lemons Race. #219

Five newbies to the road racing scene in an early 90's Eagle Talon.  We watched The Fast and The Furious a few weeks ago, and somewhere in the film Brian says "The 4G63 is the best motor ever, if you race with any other motor you're a punk".  Then, in 2Fast2Furious Toretto says "Turbos are for girly men, I lift weights and stuff".  So obviously we stuck with the NA motor that came in the car.  And we couldn't afford an Eclipse so we found ourselves a Talon. 

The downside to all of this is that we're Fast, Cheap, and therefore unreliable.  The plus side is that this car is nicer than all of our daily drivers, oh, and it has a legit Indiana Title.  Boo-Yah!

Edit: How do I get a signature?  Do I need more posts? My Control Panel is lacking...

1992 Eagle Talon ES(i)

GTPquickRB wrote:

The downside to all of this is that we're Fast, Cheap, and therefore unreliable.

No need to worry, DSM vehicles have a near flawless record in Lemons.  You'll do fine especially is it is an AWD auto car because those never break.

If you don't do a F&F theme, then we'll all be slow and annoyed.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Anyone looking for bribe ideas? Doris the Oldsmobile needs some new wheels. I really want anything 15" or probably even 16" that'll fit a FWD GM A-Body and looks super-rad.

The color-matched Pontiac Grand Prix wheels and the Aztek three-spokes are particularly badass good, but really anything that isn't plain five-spoke from Pontiac from 1987-2005 is in the ballpark.

Grand Prix wheels (Come at least in red, white, and blue)
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/NHsAAOSwOVpXYGym/s-l225.jpg

Aztek three-spokes
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KKUAAOxyHE5RsSGy/s-l300.jpg

Pontiac 6000 STE wheels
https://i2.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/1989-Pontiac-6000-STE-AWD-Google-Chrome-10192014-85111-AM.bmp.jpg?resize=700%2C403

You get the idea.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

39 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-03-15 09:45 AM)

therood wrote:

Anyone looking for bribe ideas? Doris the Oldsmobile needs some new wheels. I really want anything 15" or probably even 16" that'll fit a FWD GM A-Body and looks super-rad.

I forget, will the wheels off the 1998 Bonnie SSEI fit?  I have a set of 5-spoke chrome OEM's that look suprisingly good...even have 3 very good tires and one that looks good but has a leak.

OnkelUdo wrote:
therood wrote:

I forget, will the wheels off the 1998 Bonnie SSEI fit?  I have a set of 5-spoke chrome OEM's that look suprisingly good...even have 3 very good tires and one that looks good but has a leak.

It is 5x115 but I think those might be a bit too wide for it and may rub on the front stuts

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
therood wrote:

It is 5x115 but I think those might be a bit too wide for it and may rub on the front stuts

Spacers, yo!  I will bring them anyway.

Here is a list from elsewhere on the interwebs with what should fit dorris.

JA2/JM4, 5 x 115:
C platform cars, 1985-1996. 15 or 16 inches diameter, width 6 inches.
Buick Electra (FWD) and Park Avenue; Cadillac Deville, Fleetwood (FWD) and Sixty Special (up to '93); Oldsmobile 98.
H platform cars, 1986-1999 15 to 17 inches diameter, width up to 7 inches?
Buick LeSabre; Oldsmobile 88; Pontiac Bonneville.
N platform cars, 1997-2005. 15 and 16 inches diameter, width up to 6.5 inches?.
Chevrolet Malibu and Classic; Oldsmobile Cutlass ('97-99) and Alero ('99+); Pontiac Grand Am ('99+).
U platform vans and CUVs, 1990-2005. 14 inches (early) and 15-16 diameter, width 6 inches.
Buick Rendezvous; Chevrolet Lumina APV and Venture; Oldsmobile Silhouette; Pontiac Aztek and Trans Sport/Montana.
Note: CUVs are included for completeness. I don't really know if they will fit properly, but they should since they're derived from the vans.
W platform cars, 1988-2001, 14 to 16 inches diameter, width up to 8 inches.
Buick Regal (up to '96); Chevrolet Lumina (all years) and Monte Carlo ('95-99); Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme; Pontiac Grand Prix (up to '96, some 8" wide, can't recommend).
Non-GM wheels
Chrysler LH platform, 1993-2004. 15 or 16 inches diameter, width 6 to 7 inches.
Chrysler Concorde, LHS, New Yorker, 300M; Dodge Intrepid; Eagle Vision.
IMPORTANT NOTE: These wheels are compatible, but some of the relevant measurements are different. Lug spacing is 5x114.3mm, or 5x4.5". Center bore is 71.3mm. Offset and backspacing are close enough.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Scheißmeister Racing will be in attendance for our 3rd Joliet race with the 944. See you all there and don't forget to drop by for a beer.

Charnal House is attending! Looking forward to the festivities as always. Stop by and say hello!

https://i.imgur.com/chBU1BR.jpg

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

We will be there with the rod throwin' MR2, looking forward to not 98 degree weather and not snow.

MDG wrote:

We will be there with the rod throwin' MR2, looking forward to not 98 degree weather and not snow.

Well, now you've done it.

Orca will be there with a new whip.

Team Orca- 3700 lbs of fury!

Team Pacemakerz will be there  with the Intrepturd  88 car. Most of us have never road raced but a few of us have raced joliet on bikes and another trophy trucks in vegas. Should be interesting and a huge learning experience.
We consist of 2 mechanics 2 pipefitters 2 electrical engineers.

maddrill24 wrote:

Team Pacemakerz will be there  with the Intrepturd  88 car. Most of us have never road raced but a few of us have raced joliet on bikes and another trophy trucks in vegas. Should be interesting and a huge learning experience.
We consist of 2 mechanics 2 pipefitters 2 electrical engineers.

Make sure your two engineers are never in the paddock at the same time if the car has a failure...it will never get repaired for all the root cause analysis.

Welcome to the madness!

Havnt heard anything about headlights?? Its still pretty light out by 6 pm. Do they need to be removed or can we just x them out with tape?? Another question is what do the "pits" consist of?? As in is there power to use?garage? Or generator and tents??