Topic: Tires

Has anyone ran these tires?

Federal 595 EVO Load 84 Speed Y UTQG 240AAA

or

Federal SS-595 Load 80 Speed V UTQG 240AA

and if so thoughts?

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

Re: Tires

What can go wrong??....They have "speed" right there in the name.......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:

What can go wrong??....They have "speed" right there in the name.......

nothing! or everything! lol

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

This guy has had 3 sets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOCSLwI8_s

Comments:
- Cheap!
- Noisy
- "Flimsy" feeling  sidewalls (and this guy rocks 265/35-R18s).

- Says they communicate when they break...but then complains that they don't communicate as well as premium tires..
- Dry traction: hooks up well
- Around corners, have grip and will let you know when they will let go.
- Drifting: popular with drifters because they are cheap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0E-UHGCpy0
- Cheap!
- Says he hasn't broken traction (good grip) - 265/35R18
- Rain "not that bad"
- Didn't finish the video though (mostly anecdotal info).

Might be worth a shot.
-g

My tire size (255/40R17s) seem to be $80/ea on jet.com
IN comparison, the best deal I found on Nitto NT05s was $120/ea and that's factoring in Ebay Bucks, Cash back, using GCs purchased at a discount from Samsung Pay, etc. A more normal NT05 price is $133/ea.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Chris O runs the SS-595's on his cars.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

A lot depends on the car and drivers. I ran 16"  ss595 on the Skunk SHO
and they chunked like mad on the front. But, that's a nose heavy, 3000# car.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

A lot depends on the car and drivers. I ran 16"  ss595 on the Skunk SHO
and they chunked like mad on the front. But, that's a nose heavy, 3000# car.

will be running 205/40r17 on a roughly 1800lb 1st Gen Celica

We tend to destroy 2 tires a race (front) on our RWD Celica, its 2400 lbs running Falken Azenis rt-615k+ 225/50R16.
You need six really for the first race but those should get you through three races if you rotate wisely.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

FYI.
DiscountTireDirect is offering a $100 off $400+ worth of tires via eBay through 3/18
Coupled with a cashback website (like mrrebates.com and eBay Bucks), you can get a pretty good deal w/o tax (hopefully). I've also found that America's Tire/Discount Tire will honor the same mount balance cost as if you had bought the tires from them directly ($19+disposal IIRC)

https://slickdeals.net/f/11334447-100-c … irect-ebay

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

FYI.
DiscountTireDirect is offering a $100 off $400+ worth of tires via eBay through 3/18
Coupled with a cashback website (like mrrebates.com and eBay Bucks), you can get a pretty good deal w/o tax (hopefully). I've also found that America's Tire/Discount Tire will honor the same mount balance cost as if you had bought the tires from them directly ($19+disposal IIRC)

https://slickdeals.net/f/11334447-100-c … irect-ebay

I am looking at tire-easy.com, $280 shipped for 4 tires.

Details
Size: 205/40R17
Other sizes
MFG: 200L7A
UTQG: 240AAA
Availability:
In Stock
Pricing
$ 279.72
Qty.
Tires

Subtotal
$ 279.72
Cost per tire
$ 69.93
Total Cost
$ 279.72
Shipping

Enter zip
Estimated Delivery

N/A
Road Hazard  ($21.68)
FREE

If you pull the trigger on these please let us know the results.  I have RS-4s, but would love these as a cheap spare set.

travis_arnold11 wrote:

If you pull the trigger on these please let us know the results.  I have RS-4s, but would love these as a cheap spare set.

Purchased and mounted, I will let you know the results after Autobahn.

No idea about the EVO, but I have used the 595 RS-RR, which has a 200 rating. I believe this is simply a relabeling from their previous rating of 140. I have used the 205/50/15 size on my Yaris and have compared it back-to-back-to-back with the RE-71R (aka king of the 200TW).

595 RS-RR is narrower (almost like a 195) and cheaper ($80 rather than $108). Lap times are remarkably similar despite the Bridgestone being noticeably better under threshold braking. However, in a 100 hp car, I'm rarely on the brakes so maybe that's why there's little difference. Neither tire is very durable compared to the usual suspects (RT615K, Z2, RS4), and the Federal is less tolerant of camber. That is, if you don't have enough camber (like me), you may find your Federal tires blistering while your Bridgestones just turn blue. Both of these tires can be flipped on the rim to increase longevity, so that's nice.

The main differentiating factor of the tires from my perspective is the tread pattern. The Federal grooves look like flames. So sure, I'll put them on my Lemons car, but no way am I driving on streets like that. I'm a respectable Professor, not a vaping, sagging, ricer, drifter, blah blah blah.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

travis_arnold11 wrote:

I also like to keep a look out for cheaper tires. In that vein, I tried the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. 340 treadwear with huge rain grooves but a smooth shoulder. Didn't last nearly as long as I would have liked. Not worth getting.

What about S.drives? Yokohama is our corporate overlord. I'd love to report on how well they hold up, but I've never purchased them. Anyone race these and have data or even anecdotes?

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible

I have S-drives on the Imp.  Not enough data yet from that to say anything good or bad.  They did seem to get a lot of pickup at Thunderhill.  Spank ran them on the moke for multiple seasons and liked them.  Moke felt like it was lacking a bit in lateral grip.  Hard to describe but it felt like it was sliding a bit more than it should but it's also a 300TW tire on a very light car.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I have S-drives on the Imp.  Not enough data yet from that to say anything good or bad.  They did seem to get a lot of pickup at Thunderhill.  Spank ran them on the moke for multiple seasons and liked them.  Moke felt like it was lacking a bit in lateral grip.  Hard to describe but it felt like it was sliding a bit more than it should but it's also a 300TW tire on a very light car.

Correction: S drives were previously on the Austin America. Went with Federals once the S drives wore out.

Star Specs on the moke except for this last race at Inde when we ran 195/45R-15 Toyo Proxes T1R for $281.96 delivered

Spank wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Correction: S drives were previously on the Austin America. Went with Federals once the S drives wore out.

Star Specs on the moke except for this last race at Inde when we ran 195/45R-15 Toyo Proxes T1R for $281.96 delivered

Spank are you going to be officiating Autobahn?

Spank wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

So how is the T1R? Can you make any comparisons performance-wise among these cheaper tires?

travis_arnold11 wrote:

This past weekend was not really a good race to say how well these tires did. That being said we put almost 200 laps on them, they did decent in the rain. virtually no wear but we only had like 3-4 hours of dry track. Next test gingerman!

FWIW, I intend to buy some S Drives for rain tires as I got spanked by extreme contacts and they don't come in the size I want.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Lazarusing an old thread as we decided to expirement with the Federal SS595 245/45R17 on out flathead-powered fourth gen Camero.  It seemed silly to spend $130/ea per tire on something we halved the horsepower and added 450#'s.  Bonus, Walmsrt sent us 8 for the price of 4!  Should be interesting to see how they do as the 7-year-old all seasons were pretty sad in the first race.

Since this is about Federals; I ran the 595-RS-PRO in the 275/35R18 and was pretty disappointed. They were a solid 3-4 seconds off pace from the Dunlops and were wearing at an alarmingly quick rate. If you aren't trying to win overall, they're probably fine. However, they are not a competitive tire.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

If you aren't trying to win overall, they're probably fine. However, they are not a competitive tire.

We aren't even competing for the Class C win...you have seen the Plymero go, right?  I mean it will be much faster this round with the brake, suspension and other upgrades...but it is not gonna be breaking any records.

OnkelUdo wrote:

...the 7-year-old all seasons were pretty sad in the first race.

Understandable. In my racing experience, all-seasons don't reach peak performance until more like year twelve.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Understandable. In my racing experience, all-seasons don't reach peak performance until more like year twelve.

We tried when we raced the Esteem...one tire was 10 years old.