Topic: Any tricks for requesting a residual value?

We're working on our Lemons car in prep for it's second season and I need to request a residual value.  Are there any tricks for getting a favorable residual value?

Re: Any tricks for requesting a residual value?

Have an off-brand car that was shitty when new?

Demonstrating/documenting poor results?

Grovel.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1GQsuTFRVDHKwzXf3FXeyOAYdJ2HlhOmE

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Ian wrote:

We're working on our Lemons car in prep for it's second season and I need to request a residual value.  Are there any tricks for getting a favorable residual value?

I just sent Phil an email with what my problem was, what I wanted to do in a Lemony fashion, and documented really crappy lap times.  He said okay.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Our key to low residual values was to fail spectacularly. Get out there and blow some stuff up while conspicuously and vigorously stomping on your wieners. Chuck a rod, split your transmission case in half, and get so many black flags that they cut off your wrist bands. We did all of that, and it really paid off in residual values. Not so much in race position, but we did get some really low residual values.

Or just get a crappier car. If you show up with a Chevy Citation 5-door hatchback with an Iron Duke, then nobody will care how much you spend on it.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Our key to a low residual value has been racing an eagle talon with the chrysler engine.

rmcdaniels wrote:

If you show up with a Chevy Citation 5-door hatchback with an Iron Duke, then nobody will care how much you spend on it.

Not true!  I can only speak for myself, but my respect for the car and the team will increase with every dollar that clearly was not spent on prepping it.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

cheseroo wrote:

Have an off-brand car that was shitty when new?

Demonstrating/documenting poor results?

Grovel.

We race an Alfa Romeo Milano which is craptastic in every day use, but actually seems to do well in Lemons.  It also might have something to do with the fanatics on the other teams.

We managed to blow up our coolant overflow tank and then adapt a spare from the Toyota Previa "El Camino" pitted next to us.

While wrenching on it on Saturday night I managed to pinch the fuel line and we had to replumb most of the fuel lines.

Then on Sunday we started losing 3rd gear before our shifter came loose and scattered impossible to find Alfa bits all over the track.  We shoved it in 4th "Days of Thunder" style and managed to finish the race.

Good times, good times.

So yeah we need a couple basic parts that aren't cheap unfortunately.

I will email Phil.

9 (edited by RandolphCarter 2018-03-01 07:24 PM)

Ian wrote:

We race an Alfa Romeo Milano which is craptastic in every day use, but actually seems to do well in Lemons.  It also might have something to do with the fanatics on the other teams.

We managed to blow up our coolant overflow tank and then adapt a spare from the Toyota Previa "El Camino" pitted next to us.

While wrenching on it on Saturday night I managed to pinch the fuel line and we had to replumb most of the fuel lines.

Then on Sunday we started losing 3rd gear before our shifter came loose and scattered impossible to find Alfa bits all over the track.  We shoved it in 4th "Days of Thunder" style and managed to finish the race.

Good times, good times.

So yeah we need a couple basic parts that aren't cheap unfortunately.

I will email Phil.

Have you considered a powertrain upgrade?

Supercharged Buick 3800 V6 mated to a RWD transmission = DOMINATE

Edit: upgrade may not actually be an "up"grade...

I have played with the idea of a 24V 3.0 V6 from a 164 LS, but word is that it destroys transaxle.

SVO 2.3 turbo and solid rear axle?

Detail what broke and pictures. Also saying how much parts cost to just get it back to the way it was.  Unless you have a hopeless piece of crap than he'll give you a low residual and probably not even bother to ask for documentation when you show up to the race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page