Topic: Front air dam, radiator cooling (87 Fox LX Mustang)

In the spirit of maximum downforce, what is needed for radiator  air flow for a 4 cyl 2.3?  (Square inches of inlet)   The Fox mustang nose offers lift, and I'm thinking about going dumpster diving at a body shop for a rear bumper cover, and convert it to an airdam.   Does the LX style opening between the lights have enough area to cool a well boxed radiator?   I'm guessing venting thru the bumper is a no no, but I can remove the headlights and add some air from them too.    Any thoughts?

Re: Front air dam, radiator cooling (87 Fox LX Mustang)

brianstrange wrote:

In the spirit of maximum downforce, what is needed for radiator  air flow for a 4 cyl 2.3?  (Square inches of inlet)   The Fox mustang nose offers lift, and I'm thinking about going dumpster diving at a body shop for a rear bumper cover, and convert it to an airdam.   Does the LX style opening between the lights have enough area to cool a well boxed radiator?   I'm guessing venting thru the bumper is a no no, but I can remove the headlights and add some air from them too.    Any thoughts?

The majority of air going to that radiator is coming up from underneath the bumper.  The lower half of the bumper cover directs the air upward, along with the negative pressure behind the bumper/grill.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Agreed. 

A long time ago I had a high mileage mid 80's Camaro.  Looking behind the front bumper cover there was evidence that the air going to the radiator was going upwards at a very steep angle, better than 45*.  Also, look at the SVO and 87/88 T-Bird T/C's, no grille above the bumpers on them. 

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

racinrob wrote:

The majority of air going to that radiator is coming up from underneath the bumper.  The lower half of the bumper cover directs the air upward, along with the negative pressure behind the bumper/grill.

Yes, thats in stock form. Stock form also lifts the front of the car which I'm trying to cut down.  The stock setup also requires a diverter under the radiator, and when lost, the car loses considerable air flow (Proving your point)      My intent is to close in below the bumper, and open the grill by eliminating the signal lights.  Then, add hood vents behind the radiator on the hood.    Goal?  Proper cooling, more downforce.           

Will it work? who knows, but I'd like to try.

5 (edited by brianstrange 2018-03-04 05:55 PM)

https://scontent.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28685831_10215421236074772_1977357689857989125_n.jpg?oh=a2709c77bc817081ff5cc4ff805334e7&oe=5B0844BF