Topic: Mufflers

How much muffling do I need to pass the 92db/50ft limit? I want to abide by the law while releasing the sound of our Italian twin-cam, which is sure to impress the crowds with its raging beauty.
Seriously, though, since the engine's only 8.5:1 compression (at most, hehehe) like the rules say, can I just weld one of these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai … =IMM-87520

on there and have done with it?

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Re: Mufflers

You need a cherry bomb. Maybe with a turn down at the end of the pipe. That's pretty much it. That one you linked to is pretty short, but it might do. We're running a pretty loud 4AGE and a Cherry Bomb that we found in the back of somebody's barn was good enough for us.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Pat's right.  A Cherry Bomb will work with a 90-degree turn in the tailpipe so the exhaust hits the ground and dissipates the noise.  For performance, I also suggest a "Turbo" muffler or, better yet, FlowMaster makes the best.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

4 (edited by VKZ24 2009-06-04 01:28 PM)

professional.dreamer wrote:

For performance, I also suggest a "Turbo" muffler or, better yet, FlowMaster makes the best.

I don't know what kind of 'performance' you expect from a glass-pack on a 4-cylinder, but it aint worth what a Flowmaster costs.

Instead of a Cherry Bomb, get a 'Flowtech' from Summit which is made by Holley.  We snagged one for $20 which included shipping.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai … toview=sku

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
professional.dreamer wrote:

For performance, I also suggest a "Turbo" muffler or, better yet, FlowMaster makes the best.

I don't know what kind of 'performance' you expect from a glass-pack on a 4-cylinder, but it aint worth what a Flowmaster costs.

Instead of a Cherry Bomb, get a 'Flowtech' from Summit which is made by Holley.  We snagged one for $20 which included shipping.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai … toview=sku

Thanks all!

Josh Poage

Run zoomies.  Point the exhaust (and sound) straight up.

Tyrannosullyrex wrote:

Run zoomies.  Point the exhaust (and sound) straight up.

at the gas tank, right?

Josh Poage

We found that a bolt-on exhaust tip, painted gold of course, really helped!  wink

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/SihF9LuR-fI/AAAAAAAAAPc/DcxcRWoem9A/P4160034-exhaust.jpg

We used a Summit 18"? perhaps it was a 24" glasspack for 20 bucks last year. Worked great when we didn't have large holes develop in our downpipe.

BTW Team 2 Slow racing shall be electing to route our muffled properly out our old gas filler door in a rules legal manner.
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v652/98/16/711217969/n711217969_1793534_7644020.jpg

Pink Floyd fan?

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Well still has last years paint job. It was a brick car, so figured a little Floyd can never hurt anything.

As my car sits, it has a full exhaust with a cat and flowmaster at the end. It a 8v 4 cylinder VW. I wanted to get rid of the cat and just run one cherry bomb or the likes and have it exit the side so the fumes dont get stucked into the rear.
Would one glass pack be enough for this car? Say a 18" or 24"?

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

WINWAR wrote:

As my car sits, it has a full exhaust with a cat and flowmaster at the end. It a 8v 4 cylinder VW. I wanted to get rid of the cat and just run one cherry bomb or the likes and have it exit the side so the fumes dont get stucked into the rear.
Would one glass pack be enough for this car? Say a 18" or 24"?

Exactly what we have (VW and all) youre fine with it...

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Fine with what we have or with what I want to build? Do you have yours coming out the back or side?

WINWAR wrote:

Fine with what we have or with what I want to build? Do you have yours coming out the back or side?

What you want to build  - no cat, thrush glasspack, we have side exit as well on the drivers side....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Mulry wrote:

a pretty loud 4AGE

is there any other kind?  nothing says "racin'" quite like a 4AGE dumping into an open header.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Mulry wrote:

a pretty loud 4AGE

is there any other kind?  nothing says "racin'" quite like a 4AGE dumping into an open header.

WHAT?  WHAT?  You're out of fuel?  Are you coming in? WHAT?  cakes?  WHAT? No aches?  OK then - keep going!

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

After I had a side pipe added to the cherry bomb on the Rolla 4AGE, it was so loud I was shocked.  It never would have passed sound like that.  I have added a real exhaust now, and it's not as loud.  I don't like it, but the conversation Rob posted shouldn't happen again.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Buzz Killington wrote:
Mulry wrote:

a pretty loud 4AGE

4AGEs are HELLA loud. Wonder what the physics are there. My AE86 had a fart can that I swore was actually acting as an amplifier.

What size glasspack you think? It has to fit in the exhaust tunnel I'd imagine.
If we run out of time, I thing I will do my best to get rid of the cat and maybe just turn the rear exiting pipe towards the side. Its a really nice system that came on the car. Techtonics I think. Maybe too nice for this race:-)

21 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-06-23 02:53 PM)

"why is Dave slowing down so much?  is he out of gas?  what the hell does 'no aches!' mean?  get the gas cans!"  LOLZ.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
Mulry wrote:

a pretty loud 4AGE

4AGEs are HELLA loud. Wonder what the physics are there.

but they sound soooo good.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

22 (edited by LTDScott 2009-06-23 03:17 PM)

On this note, have any E30 teams run a side exit pipe (with the exception of the gas filler hijinks above)? The stock exhaust pipe goes right under the middle of the gas tank (under heat shields) and routing it out either side would put it under the gas tank with no shielding. I'd rather not put a full exhaust back on the car.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.