Re: WANTED: Boat for Great Lakes

like I thought...
would need some kind of jug in car to run fuel...
So as the guy said...probably safer to tow it....
OK...not really "drives" then...
Oh well...

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Old cars like this use a mechanical fuel pump that is attached to the engine. It sounds like he just attached a hose to the pump and placed it in one of those five gallon lawn mower cans to get it to run.
You could in theory just strap the can to the bumper or put it in the trunk and drive it like that, that would allow you to get to a shop to replace the fuel line running to the tank.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:

Old cars like this use a mechanical fuel pump that is attached to the engine. It sounds like he just attached a hose to the pump and placed it in one of those five gallon lawn mower cans to get it to run.
You could in theory just strap the can to the bumper or put it in the trunk and drive it like that, that would allow you to get to a shop to replace the fuel line running to the tank.

The tank may well be leaky and/or full of crud especially if its been sitting for a while, budget for a new fuel tank or time to remove, repair etc..

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

hmmm...I think I will pass on this one then.....thanks

How about this beauty?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/ … 35601.html

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/84 … 81967.html
Fly into St Louis and pick up this fine rally machine.

Reverse is for losers
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/bu … 43511.html

Maverick74 wrote:

How about this beauty?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/ … 35601.html

Nice, but I would need 4 door since 3 other people travelling with me...
Thanks

Brett85p wrote:

Thats a nice one...looks comfy...
Hmm...I will need to troll the St.Louis CL

How far is the drive from St.Louis to the Gingerman start (S.Haven)?

Brett85p wrote:

Reverse is for losers
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/bu … 43511.html

I need something that I could fly in and drive off...I would be concerned that something else in the tranny besides reverse is broken...

MZAVARIN wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

Thats a nice one...looks comfy...
Hmm...I will need to troll the St.Louis CL

How far is the drive from St.Louis to the Gingerman start (S.Haven)?

It’s about 7 hours.
There is some good stuff in STL.

Saint Louis is a weird market...rare-not-valuable mostly rust free cars built before the mid 1980's are cheap and oddly plentiful while a mid-1990's Accord is like twice the price of Chicago.

Check Rescued Rust Missouri on Facebook. A few “barn finds” show up.

Any advice on these?  Although I'm not sure if they are near anyone....

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 00622.html

Looks to be in decent shape and driveable...

or

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 98161.html

OR THIS:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/ … 41105.html

I mean, this would be an awesome ride....and 250 points right from the start...!
I do have some concerns though, since it would need to be in sort of arrive and drive condition...I do plan to have a buddy with me who is very good with repairs.  I contacted the sellar.  He said price is $2000, not $4000 like it says in the description.

Can it be driven or does it need to be towed: "It drives. But it has a bad started solenoid so if you stall it, its kind of a bitch to restart. . But I've driven it to Wisconsin no problem.  You just have to drive it carefully"

How far is Wisconsin from him?  Does this look like something that might last the Rally?  I don't have much experience buying cars on CL...so I am not sure what to expect since I would be flying in from Boston with family and friend....

MZAVARIN wrote:

OR THIS:

"It drives. But it has a bad started solenoid so if you stall it, its kind of a bitch to restart..."

Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

The problem may not be the solenoid. These cars have the starter switch under the gas pedal combined with a vacuum-driven system to prevent activation of the starter when the pedal is floored with the engine running. If the vacuum system isn't disengaging smoothly then it'll start okay after sitting a while but may not restart immediately after killing the engine until the lockout becomes unstuck.

Either way, starter/solenoid assemblies are available and the switch itself can be replaced with a more conventional push button mounted away from the pedal, as long as you remember not to push the button when the engine is already running.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

The Buick!

mharrell wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

OR THIS:

"It drives. But it has a bad started solenoid so if you stall it, its kind of a bitch to restart..."

Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

The problem may not be the solenoid. These cars have the starter switch under the gas pedal combined with a vacuum-driven system to prevent activation of the starter when the pedal is floored with the engine running. If the vacuum system isn't disengaging smoothly then it'll start okay after sitting a while but may not restart immediately after killing the engine until the lockout becomes unstuck.

Either way, starter/solenoid assemblies are available and the switch itself can be replaced with a more conventional push button mounted away from the pedal, as long as you remember not to push the button when the engine is already running.

How do you know all this?!  If I buy this, I should take you with me!!
Either way, sounds like the started/solenoid issue is not a big deal....

Brett85p wrote:

The Buick!

I contacted seller again.  He says he's taken this thing on the freeway...60mph.
So I guess it sounds "driveable"..
I am a bit gunshy about buying this...but then again....I've done dumber things in the past...

Anyone live near by the sellar?  To check it out and if it looks..."driveable?"...for 4 people in the Rally...and if so.....oh hell...go ahead and buy it?  I could Paypay$$

Otherwise, the Ford Galaxie would be my second choice...looks comfy....looks cool....looks mechanically sound.  But looks like it is located somewhere in the middle of nowhere....probably not near anyone that can pick it up for me....anyways

The Diesel Mercedes looks comfy and nice...but a bit too new and a bit too boring for me...

Anyways....time to start packing for the New Jersey Race!!!!!

MZAVARIN wrote:

How do you know all this?!  If I buy this, I should take you with me!!

I've never owned a Buick but I did daily-drive something of similar vintage for a few years, so I have a general interest in that era. If I thought I could take the time off for this rally it would be a tempting offer.

http://www.washington.edu/news/archive/images/20091015_pid52704_aid52703_harrell33_w400.jpg

MZAVARIN wrote:

I contacted seller again.  He says he's taken this thing on the freeway...60mph.
So I guess it sounds "driveable"..

That sounds about right. My '37 Plymouth was in fairly decent shape and would cruise comfortably at around 60 mph. It really didn't like higher speeds.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

That sounds about right. My '37 Plymouth was in fairly decent shape and would cruise comfortably at around 60 mph. It really didn't like higher speeds.

Our race '47 Plymouth did 17 hours (3 test and tune) at the anniversary race with basically no modifications (modern brakes and 12V negative ground conversion) and not a single issue.  It was hitting a calculated 62-64 mph on the back straight with the 3.5? rear gears.  Most reliable race we ever had at the time.

We are looking for someone to check out the Buick.  Our best candidate is out of town right now.

I’ve got some time Friday if your still interested and I live 20minutes away. Send me an email if you still want someone to scope it out: codybanks93spy@gmail.com

OnkelUdo wrote:

It was hitting a calculated 62-64 mph on the back straight with the 3.5? rear gears.

If it's the original differential it's most likely a 3.90, the same as my '37. Mine, which was stock throughout, would certainly go a bit faster than 60 mph but wasn't happy about it.

mharrell wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

It was hitting a calculated 62-64 mph on the back straight with the 3.5? rear gears.

If it's the original differential it's most likely a 3.90, the same as my '37. Mine, which was stock throughout, would certainly go a bit faster than 60 mph but wasn't happy about it.

Original was 4.10.  We put in an Explorer 8.8 for the disc brakes.

My plan was to have someone buy something for me that looks driveable
I pay you back
But I would need to have it stored somewhere till the Rally.  I would insure it and register it in Massachusetts (and you'd be welcome to drive it around!)
I fly in on Sat. before the rally, pick up the car, and drive toward the track.  (I already reserved the days off from work)
Spend Sunday at the track (for fun and to clean up the car)
After the Rally...I'm not sure...either drive the car back to Massachusetts....or leave it with someone to resell for me and we split the selling cost (or something like that...)

Anyways, if someone has the time to check this thing out for me, that'd be great....
I am off to NJ tomorrow for the race.  I will check email and forum occasionally, but I could also be reached via cell (call or text)
774 269 1748

Mike Z