Re: ATTN: CAPTAINS, I WANT SOME INPUT

gunn wrote:

While not directly related to just team captains, I've always thought that having some way to identify NEW TEAMS/Drivers on-track would be useful for everyone else on the track; this way you can give them more leeway and are more likely to forgive their asshoolery. Example: having TX plates when driving in the CO mtns can almost guarantee you that other drivers will give you a wide berth since they know you don't know how to deal with snow.

I know that there's already
a mandatory new driver's meeting but it seems like some people just don't get it (aka those teams that rack up 4 flags/day and have to park).

My suggestion would be something like a pennant or flag with this at the end that the car must display:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1WzjqWpOeTo/TW0h7HnrT7I/AAAAAAAAABo/iYbJevq6fmE/s1600/wakaba_1v1_by_killertofupanda.png

-g

You know someone keeps bringing this up but you know who I warn my drivers to give a wide berth...experienced teams that know they are REAL RACERS (TM).  I actually point out the specific cars that are known for this then describe behaviors that indicate the same attitude from teams we have not yet "falgged" as agro, overdriving twits that own ALLLLL the lines.

The newbie teams mostly take it slow and either drive the traditional line or hug a side.

If there ends up being some sort of organized or promoted mentorship thing, I think there should need to be some form of compensatory race entry credit since the mentor is essentially helping to grow the business.

Spank wrote:

If there ends up being some sort of organized or promoted mentorship thing, I think there should need to be some form of compensatory race entry credit since the mentor is essentially helping to grow the business.

My comment to Eric was it has to voluntary and compensation could be as simple as a get out of jail free card.  Others may disagree but that is how I feel about it.

Spank wrote:

This.

OnkelUdo wrote:

My comment to Eric was it has to voluntary and compensation could be as simple as a get out of jail free card.  Others may disagree but that is how I feel about it.

Presumably the mentors are the type who don't get many black flags. I would think get out of jail free had less value for them. Also, that's the standard rental fee for convenience items provided to the judges... An organized mentoring program should be far more time intensive than bringing a pit patrol vehicle that doubles as a parts car.

That guy

gunn wrote:

While not directly related to just team captains, I've always thought that having some way to identify NEW TEAMS/Drivers on-track would be useful for everyone else on the track; this way you can give them more leeway and are more likely to forgive their asshoolery. Example: having TX plates when driving in the CO mtns can almost guarantee you that other drivers will give you a wide berth since they know you don't know how to deal with snow.

I know that there's already
a mandatory new driver's meeting but it seems like some people just don't get it (aka those teams that rack up 4 flags/day and have to park).

My suggestion would be something like a pennant or flag with this at the end that the car must display:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1WzjqWpOeTo/TW0h7HnrT7I/AAAAAAAAABo/iYbJevq6fmE/s1600/wakaba_1v1_by_killertofupanda.png

-g

Where's the diagonal footprint over the graphic?

DirtyDuc wrote:
Spank wrote:

This.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Presumably the mentors are the type who don't get many black flags. I would think get out of jail free had less value for them. Also, that's the standard rental fee for convenience items provided to the judges... An organized mentoring program should be far more time intensive than bringing a pit patrol vehicle that doubles as a parts car.

To that point, I've got a GOOJF card from 2013 that I lug to every race and never get a chance to use. It's not a reward if you don't need it.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

meyers0150 wrote:

Most of the problem there is people don't read.  Most of us here who run teams have experienced that.

I swear, If I have to tell team members one more time what the date of the race is......

Every

Race......

Calendars are still a thing right?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Fishah wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:
Spank wrote:

This.

OnkelUdo wrote:

To that point, I've got a GOOJF card from 2013 that I lug to every race and never get a chance to use. It's not a reward if you don't need it.

Is it specifically written out to you?

Because I mean Auction.....

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Who's liability would it be if an arranged-mentor's guidance is alleged to have caused harm or loss?

Damn Spank....
Are you a lawyer?
I know you have helped out more than one Team......
Are you just playing devils advocate?
Nothin' but love.
Manny

Spank wrote:

Who's liability would it be if an arranged-mentor's guidance is alleged to have caused harm or loss?

That's what waivers are for.  Everybody signs the usual boilerplate assumption-of-risk, hold-harmless, not-responsible-for-your-injury-or-death disclaimer and you got your bases covered.  Then let the mayhem... er, mentoring begin.

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

RobL wrote:

As far as all the help - the best thing is having an experienced team help a new captain out.  Having a list of experienced teams/captains available locally to help.

From there, really having a recipe for the novice racer would be beneficial.  For first timers:
here is the list of cars [car1, car2, etc.] that are cheap and have available parts
use this harness [...] or this better harness [...] until you know better
attach it with these fasteners [...]
Use this seat [...] or this seat for XXL drivers [...]
use this power switch [...] with these wire connectors [...]
go to this decal shop for your car numbers [...]
here is a cage maker in your area [...]
use these radios with this radio harness [...]
Bring [tools, water, beer, spare parts, etc.]
use these utility cans to fill your car with gas [...]
on your car, here are the things likley to fail [cooling, brakes, wheel bearking, etc.]
rent a transponder or buy one here [...] here is a transponder holder [...]
...and so on

You really want someone to be able to sit down and take the guesswork out of being a novice.  Have a .pdf with a list of parts that they are going to need.

In addition to my own ideas posted earlier, I agree with Rob L's idea 100%.  Basically a good list of stuff formatted as simple as the Lemons "How Not To Fail Tech" guide.  Of course as has been stated earlier, if you don't READ what is provided, none of it really matters.  You know, that whole 'you can lead a horse to water' thing.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

38 (edited by gunn 2018-04-06 06:15 PM)

VKZ24 wrote:
RobL wrote:

As far as all the help - the best thing is having an experienced team help a new captain out.  Having a list of experienced teams/captains available locally to help.

From there, really having a recipe for the novice racer would be beneficial.  For first timers:
here is the list of cars [car1, car2, etc.] that are cheap and have available parts
use this harness [...] or this better harness [...] until you know better
attach it with these fasteners [...]
Use this seat [...] or this seat for XXL drivers [...]
use this power switch [...] with these wire connectors [...]
go to this decal shop for your car numbers [...]
here is a cage maker in your area [...]
use these radios with this radio harness [...]
Bring [tools, water, beer, spare parts, etc.]
use these utility cans to fill your car with gas [...]
on your car, here are the things likley to fail [cooling, brakes, wheel bearking, etc.]
rent a transponder or buy one here [...] here is a transponder holder [...]
...and so on

You really want someone to be able to sit down and take the guesswork out of being a novice.  Have a .pdf with a list of parts that they are going to need.

In addition to my own ideas posted earlier, I agree with Rob L's idea 100%.  Basically a good list of stuff formatted as simple as the Lemons "How Not To Fail Tech" guide.  Of course as has been stated earlier, if you don't READ what is provided, none of it really matters.  You know, that whole 'you can lead a horse to water' thing.

One idea would be to make this a wikipedia so multiple people can comment AND link the relevant Lemons forums thread.
IMO, the goal should be to highlight things the new captain must consider BUT not necessarily just give them a checklist of what to buy. I believe that some amount of personal ownership should be taken by the new team captain. My personal feeling is if someone needs to be spoon fed the entire recipe on how to make and field a boring, reliable Miata/E30, they should be looking at a spec series. The rule set itself breaks down what is required in terms of  harness/seat certifications/etc. 

Instead, here are topics I think a noob might not be aware of needing to consider. This can be addressed by having links to discussions where all these topics have been discussed at length.

- What kind of spare parts to bring to their first race
- Tire options
- merits of pull-up vs pull-down lap belts, for example.
- QD steering wheel: needed or not and how to implement
- One area I DO think should be more prominent would be a list of people who are willing to build cages that pass lemon rules on the site. If gun websites can maintain list of FFLs, the Lemons management could maintain a list of people who have built cages by ZIP code or region.
- Brake pad options (dozens of threads)
- Killswitch wiring/options (again dozens of threads)

While there is value (at least to the series owner) to recommend one seat or harness over another (esp if its sold in the Lemons store or has an affiliate link), showing various options and their tradeoffs would be good.

When i first started with Lemons, I read each and every thread in the technical section and took notes in a spreadsheet.It was a good deal of work and while I know this is probably unusual (and admittedly more than a little OCD) but it really cut down on ME generating a ton of threads asking the same questions (like how to wire a killswitch).

---
As far as how to encourage mentorship, I agree with the comment about GOOBF cards are not exactly being a super enticing incentive for the mentors to help mentees (is this a word outside of 30 rock?) as those level headed mentors you want probably won't need them as much.

OTOH, if it was made clear that these GOOBF cards were fully transferrable, a secondary market COULD be created smile
FWIW, I did offer the team of noobs that pitted next to us a deal on GOOBF cards after they were shut down on Sat with 4 BFs. I told them to LMK on Sunday when they got to #3 on the second day that I'd cut them a deal. Apparently, they were so efficient at getting flags that I didn't have time to conclude a deal with them before the final hammer came down. That was probably good for the rest of us who still had cars out there turning laps.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

FWIW I don't think that there should be much compensation for mentoring. Things can go weird when you bring money into it. Or you could have it to where teams could offer their help in exchange for beer/raw unobtainium.

One thing that might help is having a video people can watch detailing everything that you need to do at the track regarding getting drivers bands, getting teched, etc. as this can be a little overwhelming your first (through 4th) time.

If Lemons is really looking to help new captains you might have someone range the paddock on friday and get teams to put their hoist/stand/welder or whatever at HQ and let other teams sign them out. Basically, I give the judges my hoist and anybody can grab it, but they have to write down their name, team, paddock location, and rights to their firstborn so that I can get it back. If this isn't practical, you could at least canvas the teams for such items and make it be known that if you need something, the judges probably know who has one they can borrow.

Lastly, there used to be a google docs map with a lot of team locations on it so you could find nearby teams. You might consider posting this on the site and have it be mostly self serve.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

If Lemons is really looking to help new captains you might have someone range the paddock on friday and get teams to put their hoist/stand/welder or whatever at HQ and let other teams sign them out. Basically, I give the judges my hoist and anybody can grab it, but they have to write down their name, team, paddock location, and rights to their firstborn so that I can get it back. If this isn't practical, you could at least canvas the teams for such items and make it be known that if you need something, the judges probably know who has one they can borrow. .

I think the system has merits but this is where the roving paddock party comes in...on top of drinking and mocking teams, I take inventory of what they have.  Granted, our corner of the paddock normally has all those things but we have been in need of a piece of plate.

For the record the Super Happy Fun Club has:

a hoist
at welder (or three)
4' of tube (or more)
normally about 2 sq ft of plate
almost every socket ever known to man
a drill
a sawzall
a "spare windshield"
a probably drunk New Zealander that can change tires with couple spoons faster than most pros with tire machine
etc.

A good Newbie captain liaison should know this so let try to do this "single point of contact" thing to the next level.  Now would COULD help is an HQ guy Friday evening making a basic map of what make of car is is where in the paddock.  This helps the spare parts search.  Just thought of that one and it is GENIUS!  Get a Gear Tech guy to do it.

OnkelUdo wrote:

a probably drunk New Zealander that can change tires with couple spoons faster than most pros with tire machine
etc.

I resemble that remark.

Add to that cooling system pressure tester, vacuum brake bleeder, big old box of hoses another big old box of exhaust offcuts, compression gauge, piston ring installer and lots of bolts and random other spare parts that we don't even run anymore but may be useful to someone like low pressure electric fuel pumps.

I 100% second the roving Friday night paddock party, there is nothing worse than walking the pits trying to fond where the guys with the Camero are parked when all you see is empty trailers and broke down mustangs. Scope out who runs something similar enough to your car to have spares you may need.

Don't be afraid to ask for help and parts.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Adding on to Mikes suggestion above a Lemons ambassador or two (Non Competing that weekend) who have responsibility to look after a portion of the newbies. I'm thinking people who know their way around the paddock and know who has what and can help muster parts, tools and expertise if needed.

Be a fun weekend for times when you can't pull a team together or skip a race in your region. I'm sure that a Lemons ambassador would not go hungry or thirsty all weekend.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I 100% agree with a Lemons ambassador. They would need specific dress so as to be easily identified by newbies at a distance. A fez should should work. But again, many may not be familiar with the shfc at the onset or may be in some godforsaken place where there is no shfc presence

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Brett85p wrote:

Adding on to Mikes suggestion above a Lemons ambassador or two (Non Competing that weekend) who have responsibility to look after a portion of the newbies. I'm thinking people who know their way around the paddock and know who has what and can help muster parts, tools and expertise if needed.

Be a fun weekend for times when you can't pull a team together or skip a race in your region. I'm sure that a Lemons ambassador would not go hungry or thirsty all weekend.

I mean, you basically described a Judge when nobody is in the penalty box.

VanillaHaze wrote:

I They would need specific dress so as to be easily identified by newbies at a distance. A fez should should work.

Pope hat...post hole digger model.  Need the height...embrace the sacrilege.

I think someone else mentioned it, but I dig the idea of an update-able wiki linked to the home page "Where the hell do I start?" with all the aforementioned tips and tricks.

At the moment I'm back-and-forth with a guy prepping a car similar to mine. Every week I get an email with a bunch of questions I can respond to in my free time. I know it can be hard to get to Pagel occasionally so I'm happy to provide an "ask a Lemons veteran" when I can.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

One problem with an official or semi-official checklist is there are SO MANY different variations of participating in Lemons. Just look at all the advice/help/guidance offered to people in the newcomer's threads.

Having a looooong checklist of things to consider is tantamount to having a 3" thick rulebook for a newbie. It can help some and it can hurt others.

Some people are paralyzed when they don't have enough information. Some people are paralyzed when they have too much information.

When I tell someone they can build a tech-legal Lemons car for under $500, safety equipment included if they buy smart, someone else will come on and say a race-ready Lemons car can't be built for under $5,000. If I say 1.75"x.095 ERW and a tube-frames FIA approved race seat, and 12 year old radials off craigslist is fine for their 1984 Plymouth Colt, someone else will say they would never sit in anything that didn't have a Butler full-containment seat, 1.75x.120 DOM cage, and fresh date coded 190 treadwear Yokohama DaShiznit tires.

There are people who would NEVER EVER enter a hot track in one of my cars even if they were paid. Likewise, I have absolutely zero interest in sitting in a real racecar, and if someone offered me chance to turn laps in a Daytona Prototype car during an ALS event, I'd say "Thanks but I respectfully decline your offer" unless I could put a larger than life styrofoam replica of Judge Phi's head on the roof. Now, if they'd let me take the Moke out there for a few laps during an ALS event, I'd be all over that.

Point is, while we all have great intentions by offering advice. I think little tweeks of the existing resources (facebook twitter and instagram posts to the forum even to dredge up old, helpful info. Perhaps a hyperlink to a particular "Hot Forum Topic" at the end of a race  spam announcement. When we sign up as teams, we have the option the check or uncheck a box to make our team info made public. I have NO IDEA where that goes. But those who select that option can maybe be fed into some clickable map based on city / location for a "Would you like to be added to our Resources in your Area map to allow other teams to contact you for help?

Just today's 2 cents.

Spank wrote:

One problem with an official or semi-official checklist is there are SO MANY different variations of participating in Lemons. Just look at all the advice/help/guidance offered to people in the newcomer's threads.

Having a looooong checklist of things to consider is tantamount to having a 3" thick rulebook for a newbie. It can help some and it can hurt others.

Some people are paralyzed when they don't have enough information. Some people are paralyzed when they have too much information.

When I tell someone they can build a tech-legal Lemons car for under $500, safety equipment included if they buy smart, someone else will come on and say a race-ready Lemons car can't be built for under $5,000. If I say 1.75"x.095 ERW and a tube-frames FIA approved race seat, and 12 year old radials off craigslist is fine for their 1984 Plymouth Colt, someone else will say they would never sit in anything that didn't have a Butler full-containment seat, 1.75x.120 DOM cage, and fresh date coded 190 treadwear Yokohama DaShiznit tires.

There are people who would NEVER EVER enter a hot track in one of my cars even if they were paid. Likewise, I have absolutely zero interest in sitting in a real racecar, and if someone offered me chance to turn laps in a Daytona Prototype car during an ALS event, I'd say "Thanks but I respectfully decline your offer" unless I could put a larger than life styrofoam replica of Judge Phi's head on the roof. Now, if they'd let me take the Moke out there for a few laps during an ALS event, I'd be all over that.

Point is, while we all have great intentions by offering advice. I think little tweeks of the existing resources (facebook twitter and instagram posts to the forum even to dredge up old, helpful info. Perhaps a hyperlink to a particular "Hot Forum Topic" at the end of a race  spam announcement. When we sign up as teams, we have the option the check or uncheck a box to make our team info made public. I have NO IDEA where that goes. But those who select that option can maybe be fed into some clickable map based on city / location for a "Would you like to be added to our Resources in your Area map to allow other teams to contact you for help?

Just today's 2 cents.

Very well put.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Bit late to this, but skimmed it sort of.

For the existing teams or drivers,   A way people could rate teams and drivers, and or review them.  That way people can have an idea the likely hood of a car showing up that is running, and the driver won't destroy the car in the first turn.

Also a way to search by race for drivers or arrive and drives.

As for new teams:
A place to send pictures of their cage and other questions.  So they can hopefully find what they need to fix before the race weekend.

A list of shops by area that have built cages successfully in the past for Lemons so they could find one that may actually build a proper cage.

Eric Not sure if you still want to talk to more people (maybe your lonely or bored or something) but if you do hit me up.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

At the track, how about those of us who are willing to help shepherd a new captain through put up a flag or sign in our paddock spot with some sort of insignia that denotes us as available to help. For an introvert like me, it was daunting to ask for help, even though literally everyone I've ever asked has been nice to the point of absurdity.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner