Re: Carb'd 350 runs like shit! Only on certain corners.....?

mgbgt89 wrote:
ross2004 wrote:

This was the best thing I ever did to my carb'd engine, hands down. Although if I were to do it again, I'd get the Holley Sniper instead.
https://image.ibb.co/isPy3c/52130002_L_80df0c21_5e3a_4392_98fb_e4c68d33c916.jpg

If you want to do something like this on the cheap, A junkyard TBI system can be put together for next to nothing. Either use the stock ECU from the donor and get a eprom burner or run it on speeduino.

We were considering the TPI but the intake peter's out around 52-5400... The TBI would probably be worse. Most of the  TBI off of 350's were no better than a giant 2bbl. There is no reason the holley can't work, they are very adjustable. If this is a new problem I'd pull the carb and go thru it. Holleys take about an hour to rebuild...if that. Clean the snot out of it, check yuo power valve (although I'm leaning towards a float problem) Make sure you have the right spring in your diaphram, right jets, squirters and roll. While it is apart I'd cut ouff, mill off the choke tower, it will give you more cfm and better air flow.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

"In all candor, as much as I hate them, a Q-Jet Rochester is a better track carb for the 350.
While the Holley is sized correctly, it has large primaries, where as the Q-Jet has smaller
primaries leading to better torque delivery coming out of a corner.
The Q-Jet can deliver enough fuel/air to feed a 428 Super Cobra Jet Ford, and still be very driveable.
Additionally, the Q-Jet is much less sensitive to G-Force loading due to the float bowl design."

Quadrajets are awesome when properly set up.

I want to throw one on our Ford powered cars, but they're either too spendy or of questionable condition.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

28 (edited by Fishah 2018-05-08 10:41 AM)

Just an update here:

We ran the car this past weekend at Willow Springs with the adjusted floats and new fuel pump, and the car ran like a raped ape. No engine issues at all (besides a leaky water pump).

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct