Topic: Screwdrivers: JIS vs Philips?

Any significant difference?
Should I use?
Should I buy?
Brand?
Suggestions?
Opinions?

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: Screwdrivers: JIS vs Philips?

depends on the criticality of the fasteners and how long they have been in there.  99% of time, appropriately sized Phillips is fine...but impact is your friend.  BOTH systems are designed to cam out.

YES!

Phillips should only ever be used in the manufacturing environment because it's designed to cam out at a pretty low torque, Great for screwing fresh things in, less so for taking them out.

JIS are shaped diffrent in order to get deeper into the fastener and the screw has a tighter center space with squared off centers using a Phillips or Posi driver on them will strip the middle out super quick since they are broader. JIS are NOT meant to cam out.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a- … -Phillips/

I switched to JIS screwdrivers for working on my old Honda bike and have never gone back, they always work better in a Phillips drive screw than a Phillips driver or bit does.

Vessel makes great screw drivers, and the Hozan basic black plastic ones are what I use because I was cheap, but now will probably get a nicer set since I use them almost exclusively now.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Been taking stuff apart with screwdrivers for almost 40 years, never heard about this jargon. Cam out? JIS (I imagine that's Japan Industry Standard?).... Translate fastener geek into English, please?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

5 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-04-24 07:00 PM)

Phillips was chosen by ford because at "x" torque it would cam out...stop torquing by popping out of the x.  It was almost idiot proof for tightening in a production environment.  This also makes it good for putting up drywall...in a production environment.

JIS has a different profile...in theory allowing higher torque before camming out and Posi (a wier Euro-spec your normally only see on Ikea furniture) is slightly different still.

6 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-04-24 07:53 PM)

Type44 wrote:

Been taking stuff apart with screwdrivers for almost 40 years, never heard about this jargon. Cam out? JIS (I imagine that's Japan Industry Standard?).... Translate fastener geek into English, please?

The link in my post explains it all. But for the TL/DR types that still demand knowledge minus effort.

Cam Out is a driver's tendency to lift out of the screw head when torque is applied. Some Screw Drive heads like Phillips are DESIGNED to do this, it's a Feature, not a bug. Or at least it is until you need to remove one that doesn't want to come out. Then the more Torque you apply the more force INTO the screw along the axis of the driver you need to apply or the driver will cam out and probably start stripping the screw head. One way around this is to use an Impact Driver which you strike with a hammer to both drive the tool into the screw head, and break the screw free about 10 degrees or so. If you work on anything older than say 10 years old, you need at least one if not a big one and a little 1/4" bit version.

JIS: Japanese Industrial Standard B 1012:1985 This screw drive is meant to not cam out and is used in manufacturing where torque limiting tools are used, so no cam out damage to the screw, AND no over torque. It's why every older japanese bike has stripped engine screws because people try and remove them with Phillips drivers and mangle the already soft sometimes aluminum screw heads. If you see a little dot next to the drive slot on a screw that's JIS.

https://xladv.com/uploads/monthly_03_2015/ccs-1-0-77226100-1426014458.jpg

Woe unto all foolhardy mechanics who attempt a Japanese motorcycle carb rebuild without heeding the warning of the tiny divot on the screw head. For their life is a sad and angry one filled with screw extractors and praying to the eBay gods that they can find a replacement carb.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/uploads/monthly_05_2016/post-101663-0-80129900-1462160512.jpg

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I bought two of them after seeing an interesting article about JIS vs Philips af ew years ago.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/jis-screwdrivers/

Granted my car is merrrican vs Japanese so I don't encounter them as much but it's nice to have this impact capabilities

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora- … B003BI8HHQ

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-125943-P3 … B003BGTTSE

I wouldn't say this was a "game changing tool" (like my cordless Makita impact gun OR learning that a $5 set of hex-drill socket drivers would actually turn my hammer driver tool into something useful) but it's certainly useful to have around.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

How are those Impacta? I've had my eye on them for a while. I mean when you aren't using them for impact just regular turning?

Also do we now go on a tangent to Chisel vs hollow ground flat heads?

10 (edited by fleming95 2018-04-25 01:22 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

Woe unto all foolhardy mechanics who attempt a Japanese motorcycle carb rebuild without heeding the warning of the tiny divot on the screw head. For their life is a sad and angry one filled with screw extractors and praying to the eBay gods that they can find a replacement carb.

...and don't forget the corroded clutch/brake reservoir covers that you try to remove only _after_ draining the hydraulic fluid... I had _ass_umed that I knew it all because I knew that Phillips != Pozidrive and how to tell the difference...

<edit>

. . . and what sort of black magic are those Impacta screwdrivers?  Every other screwdriver warns you not to pound on them (which we all do anyway to get frustration out before proceeding to the chisel/grinder/oxy-acetylene/napalm) - but these you can wail on with a 5lb sledge and they _work_?

Guildenstern wrote:

How are those Impacta? I've had my eye on them for a while. I mean when you aren't using them for impact just regular turning?

I've whacked them a few times without any issues (unlike say the HF freebie screwdrivers I use/sacrifice for all sorts of things that can really only take 1 or 2 mallet strikes) but keep in mind that for my car (95 ford tbird) and my location (California), I don't really deal with rusty, seized up screws.

We don't have rust here -- just "patina".
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

I meant more as regular screw drivers. I've seen them used as impacts by AvE, just wonder if they are a total replacement sort of thing or best left only for impact jobs? How much slop do they have when just used without hitting them?

13 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-04-25 10:07 PM)

fleming95 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

...and don't forget the corroded clutch/brake reservoir covers that you try to remove only _after_ draining the hydraulic fluid... I had _ass_umed that I knew it all because I knew that Phillips != Pozidrive and how to tell the difference...

<edit>

. . . and what sort of black magic are those Impacta screwdrivers?  Every other screwdriver warns you not to pound on them (which we all do anyway to get frustration out before proceeding to the chisel/grinder/oxy-acetylene/napalm) - but these you can wail on with a 5lb sledge and they _work_?

Yea I won't even work on my friends old bikes brakes unless they already have, or show up with NEW hex head screws for the Reservoir. Because they are ALWAYS pre-ruined.

Impacta are impact drivers that are supposed to also work as regular screw drivers. The idea is they have a range where they compress before turning when you hit em so that when not being used as impact they are supposed to work as a normal screw driver, so no switching from one to the other to take off a screw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRzZFLPKEY

I have doubts on their tightness and balance for regular in hand use, I know they work pretty well as impacts, but I already have a big beefy impact. and a little baby one. I'd be looking for them to replace my current regular drivers so I could have a home and away set.

Guildenstern wrote:

I meant more as regular screw drivers. I've seen them used as impacts by AvE, just wonder if they are a total replacement sort of thing or best left only for impact jobs? How much slop do they have when just used without hitting them?

They are kind of heavy but I use them as regular screwdrivers when i need a bigger phillips head screwdriver (these are my "big ones").

I will admit though that of my motley assortment of tools, my screwdriver drawer is the MOST assorted set of them all. I don't have a cohesive "brand" with all the different sizes lined up in a row along with a few extra orphans. Instead, I have a drawer full of random free HF screw drivers, cheapie screwdrivers, the two Impactas, and some others that in total approximate all the sizes of screws I've ever had to deal with (not including the two jeweler's sets from HF I own). It's not pretty but it works for me (for now). I kind of look at it like Battle Royale: the truly shitty screwdrivers die off quickly so what's left are the ones that were just decent enough to stay useful and keep their place in the drawer.

Two Screwdrivers enter, One Screwdriver Leaves.