Topic: Does shipping cost count against the budget?

First of all, thanks to everyone who has been patiently fielding my newbie questions.  Does shipping count against the cost of parts?  For example, if I need a motor, transmission or some other heavy part on eBay and one sells for $150 + 100 shipping, and the other sells for $200 + free shipping, I need to know which one to go after.  Does the $150 part + $100 shipping count as a $150 part, or a $250 part? This affects our strategy greatly, and may motivate us to drive hundreds of miles at much greater actual expense to avoid shipping costs in our $500 budget.

Re: Does shipping cost count against the budget?

The judges aren't going to care about shipping costs. A good rule of thumb is that the judges mostly just care about a reasonably accurate monetary value for anything that improves the performance of the car (speed, handling, durability, and so forth). Spending $100 in shipping for a $150 "performance improving" part (such as a functional engine to replace a nonfunctional or absent engine) still leaves you with no more than that selfsame $150 "performance improving" part to bolt onto your car, whether it arrived by UPS or in the back of a friend's pickup truck.

On the other hand, if you try to play TV-infomercial-style games by claiming you got the part "for free" or "nearly free" and all the money you spent was only for a surprisingly inflated "shipping fee" nobody will believe you.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Techinically in the rules it says yes, but in reality unless you are paying $1 for the part and $500 in shipping they don't care.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Thanks.  Problem solved.  BTW, this forum is incredibly useful for a newbie. Practical knowledge from people who have done it is HUUUGE.  Just having a handle on the two questions I've asked so far will put us ahead in our learning by at least one race.  This is a great community.

What race are you going to?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.