Re: $250 Ready-to-race radio kit - Now with GoPro connections!

aaron.vogel wrote:
stano316 wrote:

Does this really work?

This is exactly the setup we run in our car and it works great, that's why I shared it.

We have the BTech Murs kit and we cannot seem to get useable communication. We seem to have range sufficient for the tracks we have been too, but we cannot understand what either side is saying. I am curious if others have experienced this and what was done to improve it? I don't know if there is too much background noise, channel noise, or signal noise but it is effectively useless as-is in our car.

77 (edited by Guildenstern 2021-07-02 01:08 AM)

How does it sound sitting in the car engine off? You may simply be blowing out the speakers if the impedance isn't matched.

After that consider Mic placement as well as sneaky ground loops.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Hulk wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:
stano316 wrote:

Does this really work?

This is exactly the setup we run in our car and it works great, that's why I shared it.

We have the BTech Murs kit and we cannot seem to get useable communication. We seem to have range sufficient for the tracks we have been too, but we cannot understand what either side is saying. I am curious if others have experienced this and what was done to improve it? I don't know if there is too much background noise, channel noise, or signal noise but it is effectively useless as-is in our car.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I haven't come across this particular problem before.

Do you have some sample audio? Different kind of distortion means different things. Having a video with one or both ends of the conversation in a real-life environment would be a big help in troubleshooting.

79 (edited by pMak26 2021-07-13 11:44 AM)

Looking for a radio setup and came across this thread. My head now hurts, a lot (complete radio noobiot), but I'd like to get the MURS setup to not deal with a license. Everything on the current list still what is recommended? Anyone have the setup and would have done something differently/regret getting some part or all of it?

Awesome thread btw - Thanks Aaron!

For reference the system I was originally considering was this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVBYCKT/?c … _lig_dp_it

But the system created in this thread seems like a higher end one, for even cheaper.

pMak26 wrote:

Looking for a radio setup and came across this thread. My head now hurts, a lot (complete radio noobiot), but I'd like to get the MURS setup to not deal with a license. Everything on the current list still what is recommended? Anyone have the setup and would have done something differently/regret getting some part or all of it?

Awesome thread btw - Thanks Aaron!

For reference the system I was originally considering was this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVBYCKT/?c … _lig_dp_it

But the system created in this thread seems like a higher end one, for even cheaper.

Hey! Sorry I missed your comment, normally I see everything added to the thread.

Yes, the MURS list appears to all be available and current.

The main difference between what you linked and my list is that the other kit doesn't have an external antenna. You certainly could add one to that kit, but I think from a quality perspective they don't appear to be significantly better. I think I also see what might be some proprietary connectors in their car harness, which could make doing extensions tricky. It does appear to use an IMSA plug instead of the 3.5mm TRRS for the helmet to car harness, but I've continued to have 0 issue with the strength and durability of the 3.5mm connectors in our car, even after a bunch of re-arranging and disconnecting/reconnecting of wires. And lastly the MURS radios in my list have an actual screen which is gonna make manually programming settings like CTCSS much easier.

Good luck! Lemme know if you have any issues or questions.

Hey Aaron, I wound up buying everything on the list. Hopefully I'll get it set up this week. Still learning a ton about this stuff!

pMak26 wrote:

Hey Aaron, I wound up buying everything on the list. Hopefully I'll get it set up this week. Still learning a ton about this stuff!

Hey pMak26,
Lemme know how it went together if you get a chance. Happy to help troubleshoot if you're having any issues.

Hey! If you still have anything available, we are interested! We're a brand new racing team made up of students at Texas A&M University. Check us out at aggieLemons.org or send us an email at aggieLemons@gmail.com