Topic: Newbie Cage Question -

Totally new here... This will be my first race, and I went the stupid route and bought my own car.

I have a 1993 Probe I bought for $400 and actually have it running. The interior is stripped; I'm ready for the cage.

I did a google search for Lemons Cage and found a "Lemons and Chumps" roll cage at Rhodes Race Cars web site.

I don't weld.

Two questions:
1) Does this count as "professionally made" (fingers crossed)
2) Any recommendations for a shop in the Detroit area to install in properly? Safety is my number one concern.

There is a crap ton of information on these sites... so if what I asked above has already been asked, I missed it...  please just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance gang - I am super excited to do this.
I have 4 other drivers and I'm hoping to race ASAP...

Re: Newbie Cage Question -

Ok, a couple of things:

Rhodes might be OK but for a few rare experiences most go with Roll cage components or straight custom
Both Rhodes and RCC will not be turnkey...they need trimming to fit.
I have contacts for two Lemons teams in Detroit'ish I will hook you up with
I have another contact that races a Probe

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Are you signed up for the Gingerman Race at the end of the month?  Or the second Gingerman in October is your goal?

#124 Product Design Saturn SL2

"Professionally made" is in there as a disclaimer. It means that whoever did it should know what the hell they are doing. If you car fails tech because of the cage, then you can go back to the supposed "professional" and have them make it right. Plenty of non-professionally-made cages pass and have passed tech.  Tech inspectors will not require a receipt or any sort of certification of who did your cage when you roll through tech inspection.

If you use the search feature and type in "Rhodes" and "cage" here on this forum you'll find feedback from others.

Buying the pre-bent tubes is only 1 part of the whole cage thing. Notching, welding, spreader plate sourcing and welding and all of that is what really counts.

Sorry, I don't know of anyone in Detroit but wait a bit and someone on here will probably be able chime in with more helpful info.

While you are waiting for cage welders info, go ahead and mount your seat where you want it and also get to installing your kill switch. Those are the Big Three (Seat, Kill Switch, Cage) that you want to have done before you bring your car to the track. Running and stopping is just wrench-turning and can be done later.

We are on our second cage, now using Roll Cage Components. This cage should be much much better.

Dont use a local dirt track chassis guy....it wont be right...

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

6 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-06-09 10:39 PM)

Or, if you are committed to racing... Buy a tube bender. I am very happy with my rogue Fab*... It costs slightly more than a jd2, but isn't sideways.

*Some assembly/welding required

That guy

Good to see another Probe hitting the track.  We have a 1992 Gt that we race with a Roll Cage Components cage.  We did not even have to send him any measurements.  Jim just asked if we wanted standard or wide.  Go with the wide if he asks.  A little trimming and notching and the cage fit. Get this done sooner rather than later.  Do not be like us and show up to the track with a 66% completed cage.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Check out Probe and Mazda 626 forums as they are the same car and the 626 forum at least has detailed build threads for Lemons and Chump cars.  Doesn't look likely that you are racing at the June Gingerman race at this point, but at least attend it.  You will meet teams and learn how to pass tech.  You may also find some good info as to who can install your cage.  Hooking up with a Detroit team is highly advised.  As mentioned above not all "professional" cage builders know how to build to multiple specs so go through the "How not to fail tech" guide with them and inspect the build for mistakes.  It happens too often that the pro can't follow pictured directions.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

As mentioned above not all "professional" cage builders know how to build to multiple specs so go through the "How not to fail tech" guide with them and inspect the build for mistakes.  It happens too often that the pro can't follow pictured directions.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 051817.pdf

My only comment, the cage you get from Rhodes or roll cage components will only be as good as the measurements you send them. A probe isn't something they have measurements for usually, so you'll need to spend the time to call them, talk to the, make sure you get the measurements they want.

Installing the kit will require final trimming and notching of the tubes and welding. If you are not comfortable with this work, hire someone. Hire someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Last thing you want to do is show up to a race and find out your cage is hella terrible and needs work.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

S&W Race Cars www.swracecars.com also sells Lemons cage kits and has a lot of car measurements available to them.  Heck they even had my old VW Fox.  Both my past 2 cages were from them and the fit was excellent.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Whatever you get, make sure it is DOM tubing.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

TheEngineer wrote:

My only comment, the cage you get from Rhodes or roll cage components will only be as good as the measurements you send them. A probe isn't something they have measurements for usually, so you'll need to spend the time to call them, talk to the, make sure you get the measurements they want.

Jim at RCC has built many cages and has lots of measurements on store.  He had one for our 626 so it wouldn't surprise me if he had one for a Probe.  Either way he built one for my X-Type.  I didn't trust myself doing the measurements so he went to a junk yard and did them for me.  I don't think he even charged me more than $50 for this which took him over two hours including his commute.  It was well worth it and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a Probe in a local yard.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Remember probes come with a built in theme.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

RogueLeader wrote:

S&W Race Cars www.swracecars.com also sells Lemons cage kits and has a lot of car measurements available to them.  Heck they even had my old VW Fox.  Both my past 2 cages were from them and the fit was excellent.

Wow; thanks for this. They're about 10 minutes down the road from relatives. I've never driven past them and didn't even know they were there.

I would say that if you aren't going to weld in the cage and need to hire someone to do it, then go with their recommendation,
rather than buy a  kit and then find someone to make it work.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Wow; thanks for this. They're about 10 minutes down the road from relatives. I've never driven past them and didn't even know they were there.

They are good folks, and the guy who built my cages said the kits were perfect.  Could it be a little tighter to the car if you did it yourself?  Yeah.  But its a shit ton easier to just have this done.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Installing the kit will require final trimming and notching of the tubes and welding. If you are not comfortable with this work, hire someone. Hire someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Last thing you want to do is show up to a race and find out your cage is hella terrible and needs work.

I am in the Detroit area (Lake Orion) and have caged a few cars for Lemons / Chump racing. I will gladly offer any insight, assistance or beer drinking that you may need. I'll drop you a PM, but feel free to contact me at:

bayley(at)gmail.com

The Pentastar whisperer

^ Dunno if you noticed but the OP was from 2 1/2 years ago.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

^ Dunno if you noticed but the OP was from 2 1/2 years ago.

Doh!

Sure didn't. I'll go back to my corner and re-read my "Internet for Dummies" book.

The Pentastar whisperer

HeyDad wrote:

Totally new here... This will be my first race, and I went the stupid route and bought my own car.

I have a 1993 Probe I bought for $400 and actually have it running. The interior is stripped; I'm ready for the cage.

I did a google search for Lemons Cage and found a "Lemons and Chumps" roll cage at Rhodes Race Cars web site.

I don't weld.

Two questions:
1) Does this count as "professionally made" (fingers crossed)
2) Any recommendations for a shop in the Detroit area to install in properly? Safety is my number one concern.

There is a crap ton of information on these sites... so if what I asked above has already been asked, I missed it...  please just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance gang - I am super excited to do this.
I have 4 other drivers and I'm hoping to race ASAP...

Unless you or somebody on the team has done a cage before, Have it done professionally. To save time and money remove everything you can, gut the drivers door at least. We have an experienced welder and welded his circle track car but he didn't want to be responsible for failing tech so we took it to a shop, gave them the "rules"  it was $3200 1.75" DOM tube...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"