Topic: Baltimore newbie looking to get involved - Delmarva, PA area too

As I’m sure happens all the time, I just found Lemons! Very interested in becoming involved, be it I join a team or end up putting one together.  Was hoping to find a local team that wouldn’t mind me meeting up with them to see/chat about the ins and outs of Lemons racing. Willing to drive to surrounding areas in Delmarva and PA. Been into sports cars from a teenager, 46 now. I have owned and worked on Porsche 914 and 911, 280z, alfa romeo spider. Worked in a restoration shop just out of high school. Currently working on refreshing a 1981 BMW R65 motorcycle.  I wouldn’t say I’m a true mechanic but mechanically inclined and very good at following directions. Have the funds to be involved.

If you made it this far, thanks for the read.

Thomas

Re: Baltimore newbie looking to get involved - Delmarva, PA area too

Welcome!!!  I'm in South Jersey, just across the bridge from PA and DE and willing to welcome anyone to Lemons.  There are lots of local teams around here.  Baltimore area has some fantastic Lemons builders so you are lucky there.  I'm sure someone closer to you will chime in, but feel free to contact me if you want.   The local people are awesome and more than willing to help out a new team/lemon.

Unfortunately the closest race to us was in May and the next closest would be either CT or SC, but it is always a good idea to check out a race in person.  Arrive and drive is a great way to get started too.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Depending on exactly where you are, Tunachuckers are HQ at my place in Westminster, MD.  We're a more *ehem* mature bunch of LeMonites (having been at this for 10 years now). 

We run in Class C with a giant old big block powered boat with terrific brakes and predictable handling. 

Right now we're planning on doing the SC race in September; we only run about a race every season.  Most of us are around your age or a little younger (I'm 41 next month), so the whole wives and young kids thing comes into play.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

meyers0150 wrote:

Unfortunately the closest race to us was in May and the next closest would be either CT or SC, but it is always a good idea to check out a race in person.  Arrive and drive is a great way to get started too.

I have a skill to find out about cool things happen close by after they happen. I going to try and make it up for a day to see the CT race. I may hit you up for a visit, I routinely head up that way on 95.

Thanks for the welcome.

mechimike wrote:

Depending on exactly where you are, Tunachuckers are HQ at my place in Westminster, MD.  We're a more *ehem* mature bunch of LeMonites (having been at this for 10 years now). 

We run in Class C with a giant old big block powered boat with terrific brakes and predictable handling. 

Right now we're planning on doing the SC race in September; we only run about a race every season.  Most of us are around your age or a little younger (I'm 41 next month), so the whole wives and young kids thing comes into play.

I lived in Westminster for 8 years and went to Westminster High oh so long ago. My father-in-law lives in Taneytown so I'm always heading up there. If you have a group wrenching day or meet up I would love to stop by.

Welcome, we are in Brookeville Md. Currently working on our new car (crashed the old one).  If you get a chance take in a race. We run...well will be running an 88 WS6 Firebird. Fun stuff.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

photowynn wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

I have a skill to find out about cool things happen close by after they happen. I going to try and make it up for a day to see the CT race. I may hit you up for a visit, I routinely head up that way on 95.

Thanks for the welcome.

Anytime.  I'm at exit 10 on 295 or exit 2 on the NJ Turnpike.  Both right across from the Commodore Barry Bridge and 322.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

8 (edited by mechimike 2018-06-23 07:57 PM)

photowynn wrote:
mechimike wrote:

I lived in Westminster for 8 years and went to Westminster High oh so long ago. My father-in-law lives in Taneytown so I'm always heading up there. If you have a group wrenching day or meet up I would love to stop by.

I know 'Tawneytown'.  We're just East of there, and North of Westminster.

I'm planning on doing some work tomorrow at some point, but it'll just be me.  We are having a team work party weekend (everyone shows up Friday, we drink and wrench till Sunday, crash out when we're tired) the weekend of July 14th.  You're welcome to come by and say hi.  Be forewarned however- stick around too long and we'll put a wrench in your hand.  ;-) 

PM for the address if you want to come by.

Word of advice:  before getting involved in Lemons, make sure your tetanus shot is up to date.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

We are having a team work party weekend (everyone shows up Friday, we drink and wrench till Sunday, crash out when we're tired) the weekend of July 14th.  You're welcome to come by and say hi.  Be forewarned however- stick around too long and we'll put a wrench in your hand.  ;-) 

PM for the address if you want to come by.

Word of advice:  before getting involved in Lemons, make sure your tetanus shot is up to date.

I should be able to make it up Sat or Sun. I'll PM for addy.

thanks!

Thomas