1 (edited by ClayBelt 2018-06-23 05:20 PM)

Topic: Crazy Engine Swaps

So me and some of the engineering students at my school have been thinking about building a Lemons car. What we really want to do is a FWD V8 in something that shouldn’t have a V8. Currently thinking an LSx/SBC mated up to a 4T80 shoved into the old K wagon (“worst car in Lemons”), possibly midengined, but are open to other great (terrible) suggestions. Any tips/tricks/advice (beyond don’t do it, because no) on that idea or others?

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

2 (edited by jrbe 2018-06-23 05:07 PM)

Re: Crazy Engine Swaps

Make sure you can get brakes to handle whatever extra power you're adding in whatever you decide on.
When we did our v8 swap we melted down our racing brake setup that fit under 14" rims in under 2 hours. Upgraded to the biggest we could fit (using oe components) under 15's and melted those down in 5 hours.
Currently doing well with 330mm v70r rotors and 6 piston touareg calipers under 17" rims.
Ours is 2800lbs and ~300hp.
Suspension is something to consider too. Likely a bunch of extra weight going in the front of whatever you pick.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

IIRC, Lemons HQ nixed the idea of a mid-engine swap into the K.  I think it may have had more to do with the who rather than the what but I'd run it by HQ before cutting anything.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

An LS into anything is not stupid enough if you are going for crazy stupid.

I just saw a mini flathead v8 for sale recently, now that would be a stupid swap into anything.

Olds V8, they were so into lightweight, they have lightweight main webs.  I mean, think of the caliber of engineer that possessed such commitment to lightness!  I will concede that any significant horsepower will cause everything to kinetically disassemble, but think how much faster you can go with 3 lbs less cast iron.
http://jsmachineoldsmobile.com/images/windowed.jpg

Yes, this is stupid, don't do this.   S/F....Ken M

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I just saw a mini flathead v8 for sale recently, now that would be a stupid swap into anything.

Or perhaps a Geo Metro engine swapped into the K?

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

ClayBelt wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

Or perhaps a Geo Metro engine swapped into the K?

yeah, that would be stupid for sure!   

Or how about a toyota V8 into a MR2, might be too good..

really if this is for students to do, i would not suggest doing anything complicated at all.
get a C4 corvette and swap in a vega 4cyl

A giant Sterling engine powered by a Jacuzzi.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport