251 (edited by Bayley 2018-09-05 07:13 AM)

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

I didn't see anybody respond yet about the brake pads, so I'll add my $0.02:

I do not recommend the ST47 pads for this application. The ST47 is a very aggressive pad and is intended to be used on a car with racing slicks, fixed calipers and floating rotors.  We tried a set of the ST47s on the Dodge Mirada and the brake pedal was essentially a toggle switch. Zero modulation.

I would recommend the ST45 compound instead. It is supposed to compliment the ST47 as a rear pad, but I've found that it works really well in heavy cars with street (~200TW) tires. This is the pad I'll be running in a ~4000 lbs. Pontiac at Road America in October. The ST43 will likely not have enough "bite" for a car this heavy.

On a side note, where is your shop located? I'm in Lake Orion and would love to check it out sometime.

EDIT: Hey! Your shop is right across the street from Norm's old house on Helen St. IIRC, he traded a motorcycle for the house while he was locked up in county. I helped him put new plywood and tarps on the roof after electrical fire number 3(?)  Good stories from the 'hood!

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

I didn't see anybody respond yet about the brake pads, so I'll add my $0.02:

I do not recommend the ST47 pads for this application. The ST47 is a very aggressive pad and is intended to be used on a car with racing slicks, fixed calipers and floating rotors.  We tried a set of the ST47s on the Dodge Mirada and the brake pedal was essentially a toggle switch. Zero modulation.

I would recommend the ST45 compound instead. It is supposed to compliment the ST47 as a rear pad, but I've found that it works really well in heavy cars with street (~200TW) tires. This is the pad I'll be running in a ~4000 lbs. Pontiac at Road America in October. The ST43 will likely not have enough "bite" for a car this heavy.

On a side note, where is your shop located? I'm in Lake Orion and would love to check it out sometime.

EDIT: Hey! Your shop is right across the street from Norm's old house on Helen St. IIRC, he traded a motorcycle for the house while he was locked up in county. I helped him put new plywood and tarps on the roof after electrical fire number 3(?)  Good stories from the 'hood!

Yup, we are right next to Helen.

I'm hoping to get some weights on the car today, but the ST43's are here and I guess we'll see how they work and change pads from there.

35 DAYS

Cage welded to body and gussets added.

https://i.imgur.com/VocGIRk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RlHWDof.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DICfjCd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IXeKJ2q.jpg

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

You may have added back all of the weight you stripped from the car in tubing alone!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

darkostoj wrote:

The seat is about 1" from the cage when its all the way back.

Really 1 inch away? Is that the final position of the steering wheel? Your arms must be like 4 feet long!

You probably already know this, but if your seat can be moved more than 6" away from the harness bar you'll need a seat back brace.

I love this build by the way, keep posting smile

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

255 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-06 02:31 PM)

Rear sway bar installed.

Coilover mounts done with dummy coilovers (tube with 2 holes)

https://i.imgur.com/WgVREvm.jpg

Tunnel & floor done

https://i.imgur.com/qF5v0E8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oNNYLpk.jpg

A hand made watts link...
A custom adjustable sway bar.....
Record breaking times to get shit built.

You must have been a Nascar Fabricator or built some serious race cars in the past.

Manny

257 (edited by Fishah 2018-09-06 02:43 PM)

Agreed, these aren't the skills of someone who only owns a demo yard.

Time to fess up. Who are you?

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

So are people with skills not allowed to race? Just because they're good at this doesn't really matter. The Judges will sort it out in BS.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Mkotzias wrote:

A hand made watts link...

Ahem, that's an adjustable Watts link.  Because it's undignified to be unable to adjust the roll center of your Rolls.

I could care less who it is.  Their heart is in the right place and their work is good.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Guildenstern wrote:

So are people with skills not allowed to race? Just because they're good at this doesn't really matter. The Judges will sort it out in BS.

I don't think anyone is saying they can't race, just complementing this person on their obvious skills. They've clearly been around this stuff before.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Guildenstern wrote:

Huh?

I think you're reading between the lines unnecessarily here. I'm just curious what this guy's background is to be such a skilled fabricator.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

True, I probably am, but must not scare the new meat.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Seems like someone is mighty skilled or is getting help, or both.  Never seen anything of this quality progress like this.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

264 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-09-06 09:12 PM)

Let's postulate in the absence of information:

Facts:
owns an exotic junkyard
Is building a car surprisingly* quickly from junkyard parts
Is incorporating fancy* technology
Has at least a couple of fancy tools

Assumptions:
Has skilled employees
(At this point) said cost no object
With the right set of fancy tools, you can build all the ones you need.

None of this is impossible, merely improbable.
In a universe of improbable things, how could this not happen?

1* given typical builds in back yards
2* assuming adjustable watt's links are fancy
3 Spank
4 speedycop
5 radial mr2

All that said, it appears to be a good job over the internet

That guy

Fishah wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Huh?

I think you're reading between the lines unnecessarily here. I'm just curious what this guy's background is to be such a skilled fabricator.

Same here -- lots of admiration, no condemnation.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

squidrope wrote:

Seems like someone is mighty skilled or is getting help, or both.  Never seen anything of this quality progress like this.

My guess is that he has good fab skills, or has help that does, and isn't bothering to do his day job. Manny and I could get a LOT done if we didn't have to waste 8+ hours a day working 8-)

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

cpchampion wrote:

Same here -- lots of admiration, no condemnation.

+1.  I'm jealous of this *guy's skills regardless of who he is, what he does, or what business he's in.

*assuming he's doing the work himself.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

268 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-07 07:04 AM)

Hah!

I was getting ripped on by the last team I was on saying it wasn't possible in 2 months and the car was going to turn out like dog shit so that really lit a fire under my ass and I've been working my butt off on this car....guys, its not easy.  Getting in before work at 5am and leaving 9 to 10 on weekdays.  Most of my progress has been on weekends. Never built a race car before so I have to research a ton on what the hell I'm doing because I have no idea a lot of times. Had help on the cage because I don't have a lot of practice bending tube, or a ton of time to do it either.  I figured it would be faster, better, and safer that way.

I haven't done anything fun that was car related in a LONG time.  It feels nice to stretch my legs and see what I can come up with.

Still have A LOT of work to go. I'm looking forward to when the race is over so I can finally relax.

Out of curiosity, how do you plan to do for engine control?  Use the Viper ECU and loom?  Aftermarket ECU and wiring?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

RESPECT!
Manny

I've built half a dozen cars or so, and can relate to the two-month scramble.  My day-job is about 15 minutes away from your shop. Do not hesitate to drop me a message if you need an extra pair of hands at the 11th hour:  bayley(at)gmail.com

Good luck.

The Pentastar whisperer

cheseroo wrote:

Out of curiosity, how do you plan to do for engine control?  Use the Viper ECU and loom?  Aftermarket ECU and wiring?

I am going to try and make the factory stuff work, but am doubtful since it has immobilizer. If not I'll have to go to something aftermarket.

Fishah wrote:

Agreed, these aren't the skills of someone who only owns a demo yard.

Time to fess up. Who are you?

He's like the automotive version of Steven Segal in Under Siege.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

274 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-09 02:42 PM)

OK, so.

The most hardcore thing happened to me, and I am in no way exaggerating this or making anything up.

So I was moving the car from where I did the rollcage to my shop.  Over the years I have gotten more and more lackadaisical in regards to making sure a car is properly strapped down onto the trailer. I had a strap in the front and one in the back.  However, I did not notice the front strap WAS RUBBING ON SOMETHING SHARP.

So....

I was driving down the expressway and feel a thump.  I look in the rear view mirror only to see the car I have been working on rolling down the highway BEHIND the trailer.  Yes.....BEHIND the trailer.

I don't know how, but for some reason the car was tracking straight and all of the mock up bolts & the 40 year old LSD in the axle kept the car tracking straight.

I then lined up the trailer, slammed on the brakes to try and get the car back on top of the trailer so I could slow everything down to safety on the shoulder.

This all happened in probably less than 5 seconds. Car JUMPED the trailer and I slowed down to the shoulder.

All I had in the truck was the factory jack, jackstand, and a 1-1/8 wrench. I jacked up the car with the bottle jack and pushed it over front and rear to get the car lined back up, bent the fender back in place, strapped down the car, and went home.

Only thing messed up on the car is a small dent on the front under the grill, cut tire, might have a cracked oil pan, and an hour delay.

INSANE

CAR IS BEASTMODE

https://i.imgur.com/o3FaveV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RTzgzg8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nETVwXq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QwLgyFO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vho77t6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sxT7K6I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kakJmeL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OWGL7pC.jpg

Nice touch, the billboard in the pic says "off the chain"

Which is true in more ways than one, here. smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)