326 (edited by bilcoh 2018-09-17 12:45 PM)

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

I'm guessing it's something like this:

You are Elon Musk.

Lemons is NASA.

We are The Gawking Public (TGP).

Elon:  So, I want to build a rocket where all the parts fly back to earth when they are done and land upright, where they started.

NASA:  Hmmm.  There are 37,194 regulations that prevent what you want to do.  But we like you're spirit, and we're curious, so go right ahead.

TGP:  <chanting in unison> DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! OMFG, look what he's doing.  DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

BTW, I offer Viperoyce as the official make of your new car.  Anyone with me?

327 (edited by VKZ24 2018-09-17 12:48 PM)

bilcoh wrote:

I'm guessing it's something like this:

You are Elon Musk.

Lemons is NASA.

We are The Gawking Public (TGP).

Elon:  So, I want to build a rocket where all the parts fly back to earth when they are done and land upright, where they started.

NASA:  Hmmm.  There are 37,194 regulations that prevent what you want to do.  But we like you're spirit, and we're curious, so go right ahead.

TGP:  <chanting in unison> DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! OMFG, look what he's doing.  DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

TGP: But he spent $10,000 on a car that's supposed to have a $500 budget.

NASA:  It's not our money, who cares!

Elon:  Rock on!

BTW, I wish he'd bring this beast to the Camden, SC  parade so I can see it in person!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

BTW, I wish he'd bring this beast to the Camden, SC  parade so I can see it in person!

With enough cheering, I have the feeling we could get him to do a World Tour of all the great tracks of America so we can all get a peek.  Right now, I'm just hoping for some really good in car, including from everyone else either being run down by or constantly passing this behemoth.

bilcoh wrote:

BTW, I offer Viperoyce as the official make of your new car.  Anyone with me?

I like it!

Captain

britully wrote:
darkostoj wrote:
bilcoh wrote:

" Its combination of optical and mechanical properties makes this material a leading candidate for lightweight high-performance transparent armor applications such as bulletproof and blast-resistant windows and for many military infrared optics."

Oh man, $10 per square inch :pucker I think a $10 sticker of the queen may be the best option here.

I dind't actually know this material existed in real life.  I used it as a Star Trek reference.  It's what the windows are made out of on the Enterprise, and what they used to build the tank to carry the whales in Star Trek IV. 

I'll show myself out . . . .

Don’t get too excited, it doesn’t have the metalic properties the star trek stuff pretended to have. It’s an evolution of lab sapphire like they use on good watch faces. From what I undersatand its an amorphous variation on the Aluminum Oxide structure. So unlike Sapphire you don’t have to grow it like a crystal, you can treat it like super glass.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

https://i.imgur.com/HoHWkn0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QoQOd87.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/muQGspL.jpg

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Your pants, they are so fancy.

SEWWWWWWWWWWW-FHANSAH!!!

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

333 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-18 07:01 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

Your pants, they are so fancy.

SEWWWWWWWWWWW-FHANSAH!!!

But, did you see the RED RUBBER???

https://i.imgur.com/ifiXcIu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zaivcrk.jpg

Dang, kinda sad we gotta show it whats what with a 4 cylinder Acura come Gingerman time...j/k

Team BAD Company Endurance
Acura RSX #0
4 times losers, and counting...
"I got screwed" winners? 2018 Cure for Gingervitis, 5th on laps overall 2018 Elite meet to Cheat

335 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-19 06:46 PM)

Changed the oil pan on engine, retorqued everything, and gave it the college try overall inspection

https://i.imgur.com/38yNPHN.jpg

Pilot bearing broke from when car tried to jump the trailer. 

Tried grease, didn't work.

The roller bearing came apart which left me the outer bearing case basically impossible to remove...but AHA I removed it...with a few #*@*$@!

Flywheel looks like the bottom of my shoe, no time to worry about it

https://i.imgur.com/7bHgWS5.jpg

Clutch is in, had to use a universal clutch disc setting tool.  Will see how crappy tool is when i install trans tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/kZTfspe.jpg

Ugly yellow steering wheel was too large so I had to get the smallest one I could find.  I had to mount the column low for steering shaft clearance.

Playing around with center console ideas, the car is so GINORMOUS that its the only way to get the switches mounted within reach of the driver.

See where the shifter is???????    Yeah, thats about 12" back from where it SHOULD be on the trans.  AHHH

I found a cheap 6 speed shifter, cut off the ball end to solid mount to the trans tunnel, and have to do some kind of linkage doo hicky thing to the factory shifter on the trans. Banging gears on a long throw shifter, yeah!

https://i.imgur.com/7QGrQ0b.jpg

My brain refuses to believe that hoist is real. It keeps telling me that the scale and hook are perfectly in line with a second one and just closer to the camera.

Silly questions. Is that wheel close enough? Still looks far away. When you're strapped in tight having the wheel too far away causes a lot of arm fatigue. Also, can you see over that dash? Might just be a trick of the camera, but you look super low at the moment.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Console is put together.  And yes, I don't know what to do with the shifter.

https://i.imgur.com/v1oXrqu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8ZpbqRr.jpg

Great big off set Z kinda stick?
Solenoids?
BMW style rod linkage with a remote stick?
Helper monkey?

First of all. holy crap. you seriously welded that entire seam for the center console. Anyone else would have stitched an inch of weld and then skipped an inch.

Second, go with a big offset linkage. Plenty of teams have done it. put a bar reaching back and then up on the existing shifter. It should work normal enough.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I vote for Helper Monkey.

The monkey would be cool, but what if it started to fling poo.  Thank about that

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

342 (edited by VKZ24 2018-09-21 11:03 AM)

Looking awesome as expected, but what's with the key?  Are you worried someone will steal it?  One of our guys is someone who ALWAYS removes the key when he gets out of the car, even if it's on the shop and were working on it!  To get rid of that issue I just have a switch so I don't have to worry him taking the key!

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

Looking awesome as expected, but what's with the key?  Are you worried someone will steal it?  One our guys is someone who ALWAYS removes the key when he gets out of the car, even if it's on the shop and were working on it!  To get rid of that issue I just have a switch so I don't have to worry him taking the key!

I'm gonna drive this sucker all over!

moose72 wrote:

The monkey would be cool, but what if it started to fling poo.  Thank about that

Best Black Flag Ever!

Shifter solution:  Paddles!  A couple of pneumatic actuators, some wire, a couple of switches...how hard could it be?  You have plenty of time.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

gump wrote:

Shifter solution:  Paddles!  A couple of pneumatic actuators, some wire, a couple of switches...how hard could it be?  You have plenty of time.

Would be much easier to do on a sequential transmission. Roommate built his own for his 200 mph quart mile drag bike. Had a similar setup on the Formula SAE car with paddle shift. Would have to either run a compressor or likely have a very large air tank to not run out for an endurance race unless you want to refill it when you are refueling.

Just do it with solenoids. One for X one for Y and a lot of swering at an arduono untill you get the timing right.

Also say goodby to synchros because a robo shifter will not glide its way into gear. Most sequential boxes are dog boxes like in a motorcycle. Smash crash and prey.

VKZ24 wrote:

One of our guys is someone who ALWAYS removes the key when he gets out of the car, even if it's on the shop and were working on it!  To get rid of that issue I just have a switch so I don't have to worry him taking the key!

A couple of years ago a team at The Ridge lost their one and only ignition key while fueling in the hot pits. They got permission to dig fairly deeply into the car in search of it (as in, among other things, "tearing out the seat" level of depth) before finally being told to get the car towed back to their paddock space. This was made even more awkward by the fact they still had a steering lock. Eventually the key turned up inside the driver's pants leg. For anyone using an ignition key, please strongly consider using a lanyard or some other method of assuring the key stays in the car, in plain view, while racing.

BadNewsBrendan wrote:

Would have to either run a compressor or likely have a very large air tank to not run out for an endurance race unless you want to refill it when you are refueling.

Before anyone seriously considers this, HQ is on record as saying they don't want to see any compressed fluid tanks in the car that aren't part of a fire-suppression system.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

349 (edited by darkostoj 2018-09-22 07:54 PM)

mharrell wrote:

Before anyone seriously considers this, HQ is on record as saying they don't want to see any compressed fluid tanks in the car that aren't part of a fire-suppression system.

What about a compressed fluid tank of grey poupon? How else would I be able to do a grey poupon slick???

Yes, I had to use that drill - only one I had with a larger than 1/2" width.  Needed a 13.5mm drill for the M8 Riv Nut's.

https://i.imgur.com/bbwlt7Q.jpg

M8 Rivnut's with a little dinky hand thing.  Gotta be a hella man to compress one of those suckers.

https://i.imgur.com/khIGUlc.jpg

Gotta raise up the front a little. 

https://i.imgur.com/zmeZUnS.jpg

Engine looks small in the car, but it is literally not possible to fit anything larger. You can tell its offset to the passenger side 1"

https://i.imgur.com/j7fqiwJ.jpg

RIVNUTS, Gosh what a smart idea. I have a team mate who would have just recommended you use a zip screw instead.
Same team member who BOUGHT the RivNut tool paradoxically enough.