Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Very curious to see how this monster gets classed and lapped.

It's awesome.

C0...would bet a case of my favorite beer on it.  In spite of the amazing fab work, modern'ish engine, etc, the judges know this ambitious of a build with a first time team is going to fail in various ways.

OnkelUdo wrote:

C0...would bet a case of my favorite beer on it.  In spite of the amazing fab work, modern'ish engine, etc, the judges know this ambitious of a build with a first time team is going to fail in various ways.

Eric was nice and emailed me to see if I needed anything since we were a first time team. He commented on following the thread and he mentioned we were likely to see penalty laps because of the engine. Hopefully won't be too bad. I'll take whatever pity I can get since I've basically put everything in my life on hold and been putting 12-14 hour days into this thing to get it ready.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Did you make a profit on the viper that the engine came from? In theory that should make it legal.

Don't sweat the laps if they do give them to you. Even though this thing is a rocket ship, you won't come within a mile of sniffing a win, so the laps are irrelevant. With a rookie team and a car thatll have teething issues, just focus on the fun.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

430 (edited by darkostoj 2018-10-07 07:33 AM)

Fishah wrote:

Did you make a profit on the viper that the engine came from? In theory that should make it legal.

Don't sweat the laps if they do give them to you. Even though this thing is a rocket ship, you won't come within a mile of sniffing a win, so the laps are irrelevant. With a rookie team and a car thatll have teething issues, just focus on the fun.

Yeah, when I first started putting the build together I was kicking around options and ways of trying to keep the car at a level that would make sure I got no penalty laps. I decided I just didn't care and would rather build the car how I wanted and took whatever they dished out! The car ended up cooler that way, and I think it will be a lot more fun. If I was going to be pissed about laps I think im racing in the wrong league.

Engine came from a truck, and I think that truck brought in about 15k profit.

Either way, im super excited!

darkostoj wrote:

Yeah, when I first started putting the build together I was kicking around options and ways of trying to keep the car at a level that would make sure I got no penalty laps. I decided I just didn't care and would rather build the car how I wanted and took whatever they dished out!

Totally the right attitude.

But.....what if it's a rocket ship and it DIDN'T have teething issues?

A class win right out of the box would be improbable and legendary.

I view this very much in the same vain as the turbo taxi. Those guys knew they blew the budget, and they were a little outside the "spirit" of things, but they built the car they wanted to build, they were up front about the whole thing, and they had a blast. Same thing going on here.

I would expect some laps, just to appease the "OMG HOW COULD YOU LET THIS BLATANT AFFRONT TO THE RULES" crowd, but it doesn't matter.

The quality of work going into the car is first class, that's for sure. But I will be shocked if there aren't any teething problems at all. Any major project like this always has a few to sort though. Should a riot to drive though.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Quite a week on the forums - the K is showing signs of (life?) and this automatically awesome project (did you see the welds on the exhaust)? is getting ready to roll.

Note, though, since the kill switch locations rules changed over the past few years - is that kill switch location acceptable to tech if it's the only switch in the car?

Anybody want to bet an over-under on the racing weight?

fleming95 wrote:

Quite a week on the forums - the K is showing signs of (life?) and this automatically awesome project (did you see the welds on the exhaust)? is getting ready to roll.

Note, though, since the kill switch locations rules changed over the past few years - is that kill switch location acceptable to tech if it's the only switch in the car?

Anybody want to bet an over-under on the racing weight?

4123 dry

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

If you build ANYTHING cool for this series someone will complain...and I for one don't care.  I built my car how I wanted it and I can't wait to race it.

This build is EPIC and I can't wait to see it on the track.

Hope we can beat you though ;-)

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

The trophies this car should earn don’t care about laps. Or even running for more than half the race. If everyone just brings the Midwest same old same old this has an IOE shot even. Although I can see this getting put in class B just for power to weight factors.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

OnkelUdo wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

Yeah, when I first started putting the build together I was kicking around options and ways of trying to keep the car at a level that would make sure I got no penalty laps. I decided I just didn't care and would rather build the car how I wanted and took whatever they dished out!

Totally the right attitude.

Here I am, thinking the 15k is totally the right attitude; yet, I digress....

Let me agree with the level of sophistication of his fabrication skills, and remind the resources that he has at his disposal - which are shown in the background of many of his pictures, including the exotic cars...

In another avocation, I have personally seen the person with amazing natural talent who comes out of nowhere and wins their first competition...

It seems he has made his own 'luck' by preparation and hard work...

With this project, he likely has his pick of team members...

[I can only guess the size of the crowd which will be hanging around the car - I wish I could make It there...]

So it wouldn't surprise me if he does win Gingerman, no matter how many laps he gets, no matter what class.

Agreed: EPIC!

https://youtu.be/3ZPmHLZAKWs

I think the power steering box has a crack in the case.  It is POURING onto the ground from the side bolted next to the frame rail. 

The Pedals are DONE, they were hard.

https://i.imgur.com/ulCzctU.jpg

Exhaust is DONE, it was hard.

https://i.imgur.com/F3hGGIr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C5rPlj9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WJdBB8d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UIJsEYg.jpg

Nice work, Darko.  What's the To Do list looking like now?

441 (edited by darkostoj 2018-10-08 07:20 AM)

bulletpruf wrote:

Nice work, Darko.  What's the To Do list looking like now?

again off top of my head:

Figure out why steering box is pouring fluid & finish steering shaft
Build shifter linkage
Fill diff & trans with oil
Install Passenger seat
finish brake lines
bleed brakes
install front shocks
roll bar padding
seam seal sunroof panel
install fire extinquisher
alignment
tune engine
make hood pins
install harnesses
install radio
mount false floor

My goal is to make it to test on the track this Wednesay....probably not gonna happen

Can anyone recommend what bars I need to wrap with roll bar padding?

I read the rules that its anywhere the driver can touch.

I have a seat that wraps around the helmet,and the only thing I can touch while sitting in the seat is the bar that goes up along the drivers door, and the door bars.  Is that all I need to cover?

Anything you can smack your head on getting in and out I would add padding. Then anything that a limb can flail around and hit during an accident, so door bars, front down bar, windshield bar, stuff like that. Each car is a little different, but those are the common ones.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

444 (edited by darkostoj 2018-10-08 07:03 PM)

Everybody I would like to introduce you all to WEAK LINK #2.  #1 being the incredibly old and lame rear axle.

When I was welding the shifter (the one bolted to the trans) I got the sucker too hot and it melted the plastic bushings, so its looser than....well its loose.

The linkage is 15" long, and well with the lack of time I have this is just what its gonna be. It will be interesting.

3-4 seem ok, the rest...eehhhhh

This is the 2nd variation I made....the first...don't ask.  Time is precious right now!

Good news, when shifting it's so loud it sounds like all the shifting scenes from FF1

In case anyone forgot. ----->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefC0DPlHFQ  <-----

https://i.imgur.com/POYvZHS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AKRdhdA.jpg

darkostoj wrote:

The linkage is 15" long, and well with the lack of time I have this is just what its gonna be. It will be interesting.

3-4 seem ok, the rest...eehhhhh

Is there any torsion in your linkage plates when you push the stick to the side? Adding plates to the top and bottom of the linkage to tie the two sides together might help reduce slop.

I'm thinking you are Santa Claus. It is your off season after all
It's the only way I can fathom getting this much stuff done in this time frame..
Pretty sure some elves are helping...
After all Santa gets a lot done in one night tongue

MBTL Racing

With the torque you have, two gears is plenty.  Some teams have run entire races with only 4th gear functional and they were barely off their normal pace PLUS could run longer stints due t the fuel economy gain.

OnkelUdo wrote:

With the torque you have, two gears is plenty.  Some teams have run entire races with only 4th gear functional and they were barely off their normal pace PLUS could run longer stints due t the fuel economy gain.

We very well may be one of those teams racing in one gear yikes

darkostoj wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

As long as the trans is functional, it is fine. We lost 3rd on the Rover last year at Loudon. Welded in a spacer and ran the rest of the race w/o 3rd. The driver had to go around in 4th most of the time, but that is fine. As others have said, with that engine torque, it doesn't really matter.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
darkostoj wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

As long as the trans is functional, it is fine. We lost 3rd on the Rover last year at Loudon. Welded in a spacer and ran the rest of the race w/o 3rd. The driver had to go around in 4th most of the time, but that is fine. As others have said, with that engine torque, it doesn't really matter.

Hah, yeah. Not worried about it.  My goal is to just finish the race, I'm ok if its with one gear!