Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

majo wrote:

That Rolls engine would look pretty sweet in my Imperial...…….

Looking forward to seeing this creation and battling you for class C domination at Gman!

After certain Chryler powerplant, should me encourage this for the 4th Gen Camero?

Oh dear sweet Jesus this build is glorious.

Team Infinniti wrote:

Only nag I have is not seeing that rolls driveline in service, in this case, I could careless about class/points/laps/cost.

No matter how or what, it is going to be made out of pure awesome!

Well........What would be the awesomest car to put that driveline in?

I'm thinking either Triumph, or perhaps an old Nissan 200/240 SX just to piss off the du-rif-tu crowd.

Or a Beatle!!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

mgbgt89 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Owning a salvage yard doesn't make parts free, that's spelled out in the rules. Parts you have lying around are assigned a real world value.

Isn't it perfectly reasonable to buy parts cars, and sell what you need off them to get the parts you want at zero cost? I thought this was fairly common practice in Lemons accounting. I get free parts all the time doing this. My M50 swap was free after I sold shit off the parts car that I didn't need. That was for a street car build, but I don't see why that wouldn't fly in Lemons. I would think you could even get a viper engine for free doing that.

Hell most people just drag whole parts cars with them to the track. Or buy whole ones Saturday afternoon when things go really sideways.
And those never seem to "count"

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I'll just leave this here so yall can think about it.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ … 12811.html

Also I'm in Cleveland, if you need a hand with anything drop me a Direct Message, Detroit is a reasonable run for me.

106 (edited by Team Infinniti 2018-08-02 07:26 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Only nag I have is not seeing that rolls driveline in service, in this case, I could careless about class/points/laps/cost.

I'm thinking either Triumph, or perhaps an old Nissan 200/240 SX just to piss off the du-rif-tu crowd.

Or a Beatle!!!

Awesomost?  I would skip putting it in something that may break in half like a x19, perhaps exploit the big jap car avenue, go for a 1990 infiniti q45....... I may be biased.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im … cem0w2.jpg

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I think a Rolls engine should go in an aircooled VW beetle. With the proper grill, of course. And it'll need a Willie Mays Hayes theme

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nightjarprod/content/uploads/2014/04/i045610.jpg

Or better yet, in something like.. Oh, I dunno...

https://hips.hearstapps.com/amv-prod-cad-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/01-06-K-It-FWD-1987-Plymouth-Reliant-626x426.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=800:*

Mmmmmmm Chrysler K-car, Powered by Rolls-Royce.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Think back to the Radial engined MR2...I know Marc and that was not a $500 swap.

Did that car even make it 2 laps?  I hope this build results in more track time for the OP's hard work than Marc's did.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The radial-engined car ran 2 laps with the first chain-drive setup. Then 30something laps after a year-long redesign.

That's a "What Might Have Been" project for another day, but the end result was that the transmission he ended up using had a bum 4th gear and with the engine's narrow powerband (even through the step-up gear), he couldn't shift 3-5. So top speed was about 65, but he said it had no trouble getting there. It had ample power (and certainly torque) and probably would have been a lot of fun with all five cogs and without one of the many components snapping twice in the weekend it finally did work.

As for a the Viper-swapped Roller: The builder has been talking to Phil, so this one is tacitly approved by the Lemons Supreme Court. Simply put, we can't wait for the "$500 KAR MY A55!!!111!!" comments to come Rollsing on in.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

The radial-engined car ran 2 laps with the first chain-drive setup. Then 30something laps after a year-long redesign.

That's a "What Might Have Been" project for another day, but the end result was that the transmission he ended up using had a bum 4th gear and with the engine's narrow powerband (even through the step-up gear), he couldn't shift 3-5. So top speed was about 65, but he said it had no trouble getting there. It had ample power (and certainly torque) and probably would have been a lot of fun with all five cogs and without one of the many components snapping twice in the weekend it finally did work.

As for a the Viper-swapped Roller: The builder has been talking to Phil, so this one is tacitly approved by the Lemons Supreme Court. Simply put, we can't wait for the "$500 KAR MY A55!!!111!!" comments to come Rollsing on in.

I talked with him and he was completely OK with the project, but he recommended swapping in an engine like a International 345 or something along those lines....I kinda took the idea of an engine swap and ran with it.  I guess we will see what happens tongue

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

112 (edited by chaase 2018-08-03 06:25 AM)

darkostoj wrote:

I talked with him and he was completely OK with the project, but he recommended swapping in an engine like a International 345 or something along those lines....I kinda took the idea of an engine swap and ran with it.  I guess we will see what happens tongue

Phil will never give you a "good" idea on stuff like this. 8-)

I am glad to hear that HQ is on board. I really want to see this build take the track!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Guildenstern wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Or a Beatle!!!

I think that blasphemous engine swaps should always go into 4th-gen Cameros just for the insane challenge of that low hood.  All of them...every one of the choices not an LS that go into a 4th Gen are great ideas.

Spank wrote:

I think a Rolls engine should go in an aircooled VW beetle. With the proper grill, of course. And it'll need a Willie Mays Hayes theme

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nightjarprod/content/uploads/2014/04/i045610.jpg

That is genius.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

The Caddy Miata is awesome, it was done with cheap, non-race parts.
A viper v10 isn't just expensive like a radial engine, it is race car stuff, and Lemons is about racing stuff that isn't.
It certainly stopped being about $500 cars long ago.

This does have stupid written all-over-it though, but waste of time and money is not the only spirit of Lemons.

He is doing the work right, and not just having employees build it like they do on Junkyard Empire,
where they built that blown sbc rolls.

Lighten-up my-ass!  The russians have infiltrated Lemons racing!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgnPSHEbZH4wdU90DND_mNRJ2lNif3qYWDPgsakyDsl12fKSeI

OnkelUdo wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

The viper v10 is totally and completely non-lemons-spirit as it isn't $500-my-ass, it is $5,000-my-ass.

I would at least go with a bmw v12, because that will certainly blow-up and is way more fun 'cheaty'  since its a BMW, whereas the viper motor is really good.

Lighten up...doing something totally stupid like this is in the Lemons spirit and I will bet a case of beer (again) it is C 0 at Gingerman.  It will compete against the likes of our (no longer) totally stock 1947 Plymouth.  If they beet us, we will be the FIRST to give them a victory beer.

Think back to the Radial engined MR2...I know Marc and that was not a $500 swap.

chaase wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

...he recommended swapping in an engine like a International 345...

Phil will never give you a "good" idea on stuff like this.

Hey, the SV 345 is a perfectly good engine! It is, so far, the only way one of my vehicles has finished a Lemons Rally under its own power.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

A viper v10 isn't just expensive like a radial engine, it is race car stuff, and Lemons is about racing stuff that isn't.
It certainly stopped being about $500 cars long ago.

So had it but the truck version of the V10, it all would have been OK?

That said, for a lot of us the primary focus is on the spirit of the $500 race car and If I had a junkyard, and cared, I bet I could document via original purchase price of all cars donating parts and sales price of all parts sold that it is in fact a $500 car.  Might not be on race day one since he only has 2'ish months to sell those parts but bet it gets there.  Lemons accounting can get creative...

As said the stock'ish '47 Plymouth from race 1 was about $100 over budget.

If we had sold the bits of the 4th-gen Camero that were left after it gave its heart to the Plymouth (we kept the car instead for other Bad Decisions) and sold off the Plymouth's drivetrain and remaining trim, even in it current form we would have been close to the $500 limit but I honestly did not add it up this time.  We also stopped asking for residuals on our silly cars because we know we don't need to..C 0 until we win C.

OnkelUdo wrote:

So had it but the truck version of the V10, it all would have been OK?

I have an 8.0 Magnum lined up to go in the Gran Fury, mostly because "V10 ain't never been done befo"

But quietly, I didn't want to move on from the 440.

Therefore, for selfish reasons, I approve of this Viper-RR blasphemy. God speed!

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

119 (edited by darkostoj 2018-08-03 05:53 PM)

Looks like Viper- CAR engine is not happening.  I think an SRT-10 truck engine will fit nicer with a better oil pan that will need less mods, and have better fitting exhaust manifolds.  I'm going to test fit that one hopefully tomorrow.

Got the springs, suspension, and steering pretty much all set on the subframe.  Still waiting on brake brackets.

https://i.imgur.com/6MTgKwy.jpg

Playing around with subframe mounts, and will hopefully have it tacked together tomorrow. Being a little overcautious on subframe angle & alignment. Going to use stacked .25" thick oversize washers front and rear to tune the sub frame to chassis angle to get it perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/Gfy4VTY.jpg

Original engine all cleaned up ready to be sold. Head ports are HUGE

https://i.imgur.com/qOy8zMU.jpg

120 (edited by darkostoj 2018-08-04 02:32 PM)

70 Days out

https://i.imgur.com/GZ59pAi.jpg

Front Subframe Mount

https://i.imgur.com/w58dyIn.jpg

Subframe Installed!!

https://i.imgur.com/x79VEf2.jpg

SRT-10 Truck engine it is!

https://i.imgur.com/4kLyagn.jpg

For all the crybaby's out there, I literally needed a 20 ton crane to pickup the new engine.

https://i.imgur.com/oGG38h0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UO0I7If.jpg

I'm gobsmacked.

What I would give to have a SRT-10 truck engine as a "backup" just lying around... Lol.

Nice shop by the way!!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

darkostoj wrote:

A) That sweet, sweet crane is super sexy.

B) As is the red Firebird? Camaro? in the background.

RandolphCarter wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

A) That sweet, sweet crane is super sexy.

B) As is the red Firebird? Camaro? in the background.

A) Crane is sweet

B) 67 Camaro is less sweet than crane

124 (edited by bilcoh 2018-08-05 09:51 PM)

Nothing is as sweet and sexy as his damn shop that goes forever in all directions.

Please, grampa, tells us the story about the salvage yard.  Please?!?

125 (edited by darkostoj 2018-08-06 06:48 AM)

bilcoh wrote:

Nothing is as sweet and sexy as his damn shop that goes forever in all directions.

Please, grampa, tells us the story about the salvage yard.  Please?!?

Started the yard 10 years ago with a Dodge Intrepid with a blown up 2.7L and a little cheapie tool set you get from Home Depot.

Basically sacrificed my life working the last decade.

We now do late model sport, luxury, and exotic vehicles. 

Everything is done indoors and all parts are removed from vehicles, bar coded on shelves, and available for same or next day shipping. I always hated dealing with used auto part companies, so I wanted to make the experience nothing like the "norm."  I was always pinching pennies trying to put together whatever crappy car I was working on at the moment. We have about 350 5 star reviews on Google now, and I can FINALLY take some time for myself to do things I enjoy, like building a turd Lemons car! lol

Website is www.pacificmotors.com

Parts for sale on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/str/pacificmotorso … &rt=nc