Topic: Pontiac Trans Sport and all other 3800 starter issues

So after nearly a dozen races with the Dustbuster we have it pretty well sorted with awesome brakes, a good manual tranny, OK suspension, etc, etc (did finally destroy the steering rack but that was a long time coming).  One thing we have a NEVER fully conquered is the starter heat soak issue.  Plain and simple the starter is under the front exhaust manifold and new, rebuilt or known good starters all suffer the same fate in warm weather races...it just won't crank after a spirited run.  We have similar issues with the clutch line but those are rarer and we can always dump ice water on that, get the next guy out and just leave it in fourth.

Background:  We drive this thing hard, out brake a lot of people, pull cars that did not think we could do it on the straights and don't suffer as badly as you would think in the corners (but it does suffer).  Coolant runs a stead temp and oil runs on the hot end of the spectrum but not Chernobyl.  Though there is room for heat shielding, I feel it would do no good because it is getting intense heat from both the engine and the exhaust manifold.

Looking for options but here are a few I have thought of:

Maybe a fresh air duct from one of the headlights directly to the starter
A remote controlled mister turned on when you enter the pit lane
Find someone that makes a truly bulletproof starter that can handle the heat of racing (GM starters of this era are not gear reduction)
A direct contactor of some sort that can used from the from of the car (air solenoid with copper plate)

I am open to real solutions as none of these seem viable.  It push starts easily but some day it is going to be a problem.

2 (edited by chaase 2018-07-09 04:27 PM)

Re: Pontiac Trans Sport and all other 3800 starter issues

I am not sure how direct of a run you can get to the starter from the headlight. It would help keep things cooler but you need to be able to evacuate the air too.  You could try a water/alochol injection onto the starter using a washer pump. If you still have the washer fluid reservoir then you have a tank. that is what people that run methanol injection do.

Can you wrap the exhaust manifold? If there isn't room fab a set of headers and wrap them?. That would resolve the issue.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

Can you wrap the exhaust manifold? If there isn't room fab a set of headers and wrap them?. That would resolve the issue.

Sure it is theoretically possible wrap but headers are unrealistic.  Still worried the heat form the engine will have the same effect in the (uncomfortably) tight confines of an engine bay never intended for 90 degree V6.

I am not sure how direct of a run you can get to the starter from the headlight. It would help keep things cooler but you need to be able to evacuate the air too.  You could try a water/alochol injection onto the starter using a washer pump. If you still have the washer fluid reservoir then you have a tank. that is what people that run methanol injection do.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

5 (edited by chaase 2018-07-09 04:42 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:

Sure it is theoretically possible wrap but headers are unrealistic.  Still worried the heat form the engine will have the same effect in the (uncomfortably) tight confines of an engine bay never intended for 90 degree V6.

It is cheap to try and wrap them and it definitely helps with under hood temperatures. Possible to add some venting to the hood so it will be cooler under there?

Any chance of water cooling the starter like they do for computer CPU's? Wrap some copper tubing around it and pump cool water around it. Activate it when you exit the track and riding down pit lane.

chaase wrote:

Any chance of water cooling the starter like they do for computer CPU's? Wrap some copper tubing around it and pump cool water around it. Activate it when you exit the track and riding down pit lane.

I thought about this.  It would have to be a 3/4 coverage zig zag or use the 1/8" ID poly-carb tubing...maybe refrigerant copper could also do it.  I would so run it in a non-coolant loop based on Lemons success with modifying engine cooling systems.

FYI, the '47 Plymouth with the L67 supercharged also occasionally has this issue even with SS headers but that might have been 99% a bad crimp on the starter motor cable.  We will not know until the next hot race.  It is much harder to push start.

8 (edited by chaase 2018-07-09 05:20 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:

I thought about this.  It would have to be a 3/4 coverage zig zag or use the 1/8" ID poly-carb tubing...maybe refrigerant copper could also do it.  I would so run it in a non-coolant loop based on Lemons success with modifying engine cooling systems.

FYI, the '47 Plymouth with the L67 supercharged also occasionally has this issue even with SS headers but that might have been 99% a bad crimp on the starter motor cable.  We will not know until the next hot race.  It is much harder to push start.

I can think of lots of ways to do cooling, but not sure how much space you have. That's why my first thought is wrap the exhaust and vent the hood. The hope is that you can reduce the under hood temperatures while you are driving it and protecting the starter from exhaust heat.

I just remembered how this was resolved on my friends car. I am, not sure why I didn't think of this before. It is not uncommon for it to happen on high HP chevy engines with headers. The fix was to use a remote mount starter solenoid to protect it from the heat. The solenoid is what gives you the problem. Moving the solenoid resolves the problem as well. You can try looking for a remote mount solenoid kit. You can keep the same starter but you alter the wiring.

https://www.motorstate.com/images/Instr … ng_Kit.pdf

Get some ceramic fabric tape and wrap the exhaust. A couple layers of that stuff and you'll be able to touch them bare handed right after coming off the track.

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/fc_tapes.htm

10 (edited by Team Infinniti 2018-07-09 08:22 PM)

Forget radiant 250deg heat from the engine block, focus on the 800+ exhaust , get a piece of tin between the pipe and starter to reflect some heat, also, do still have the factory clip on heat shield on the starter solenoid? if not, go find one!!!

.DEFINITELY  a fresh air duct from one of the headlights directly to the starter

Naaa   A remote controlled mister turned on when you enter the pit lane..... Water mist will be overwhelmed, starter may not like repeat watering

Naaa  Find someone that makes a truly bulletproof starter that can handle the heat of racing (GM starters of this era are not gear reduction) ... who got that kind of $$

YES....  A direct contactor of some sort that can used from the from of the car (air solenoid with copper plate)....Now your onto something!  Back in the day one would take the start solenoid signal wire and connect it directly to the battery cable 12v post 1 in away(making it a one wire starter), then go upstream, run a ford solenoid to only send power down to the starter as needed, this gives a better shot of amperage to the heat soaked GM solenoid.... only downside is you now need to make/move a new 12+ post if the starter was previously wired as a supply junction.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

This has been a Small Block Chevy problem for years and years.  I had this issue with an El Camino.  Our fix, take one large metal coffee can, cut a section out of it, take ribbon strap and fashion a mount that wraps around the starter and connects the section of coffee can.  Or, if you want it to look nice, the actually sell  this:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo-Tec/893/1 … CkQAvD_BwE

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Don't bother with aftermarket gear reduction starters. They're junk. We went down that road a couple of times with our SBC and they wouldn't last more than a race or two. After we bought an OEM AC Delco starter we haven't had any problems in years (5 ish).

Definitely agree about the exhaust wrap, it makes a huge difference, and a thin piece of sheet metal as a heat shield will definitely make a difference. Heat from your exhaust is the problem.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

13 (edited by chaase 2018-07-10 07:07 AM)

moose72 wrote:

This has been a Small Block Chevy problem for years and years.  I had this issue with an El Camino.  Our fix, take one large metal coffee can, cut a section out of it, take ribbon strap and fashion a mount that wraps around the starter and connects the section of coffee can.  Or, if you want it to look nice, the actually sell  this:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo-Tec/893/1 … CkQAvD_BwE

I was looking for something like that to add to this post. Wrapping the manifold and the starter should really help. If that doesn't work, do the remote starter solenoid.

Alright.....Final answer is to move the problem away from the heat!
The old chevy smallblock issue was corrected by some simple engineering.....
Tie both terminals on the starter together and split the battery cable to the starter.
Place a ford starter solenoid away from the heat and power it with the wires that originally went to the starter. I will try to find a diagram of the fix.
Manny

Mkotzias wrote:

Alright.....Final answer is to move the problem away from the heat!
The old chevy smallblock issue was corrected by some simple engineering.....
Tie both terminals on the starter together and split the battery cable to the starter.
Place a ford starter solenoid away from the heat and power it with the wires that originally went to the starter. I will try to find a diagram of the fix.
Manny

This method more or less just addresses the issue of voltage drop across the 'start' wire running to the solenoid. When the start wire gets hot, it increases resistance and the voltage to the solenoid drops. Replacing the start wire to the solenoid with a heavier gauge wire that will suffer less resistance increase due to heat should accomplish the same thing.

The Ford 'solenoid' is really just an intermediate relay. You still have to rely on the GM starter solenoid to engage the drive gear with the flywheel. Keep the heat away and use a larger gauge wire if needed. Adding the Ford relay only adds another failure point.

If for whatever reason you are really intent on doing this, at least use the GM version to preserve the manufacturers pedigree of this fine automobile, AC Delco P/N U939 among others.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

I agree that the heat from your block isn't the issue, it's mostly the exhaust. We used to cook a starter every year in the daytona because it sat directly under the turbo and the heat would eventually weaken the little heat-shield and let it fatigue crack and break. Hooray for lifetime warranties, we got a free one every spring.

Wrap the exhaust, wrap the starter, get a heat shield in there, do whatever you can to just keep the exhaust heat off of it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

piper.gras wrote:

This method more or less just addresses the issue of voltage drop across the 'start' wire running to the solenoid. When the start wire gets hot, it increases resistance and the voltage to the solenoid drops. Replacing the start wire to the solenoid with a heavier gauge wire that will suffer less resistance increase due to heat should accomplish the same thing.

This. I would try a much bigger feed wire to the starter. It's a copper wire, so it's probably pulling lots of heat out of the starter along it's length and gaining resistance. My beater yard work truck will never hot start due to it's dinky little cable going to it. It will crank cold just fine every time. When the wire gets warm, it won't crank. I assume you're not actually killing starters? It will restart after it cools down?

A long time ago we had the same problem on our GM 2.8L.  We fixed it with the two solutions below:

Junk yard gear reduction starter from a later model car (early 2000s), ours came from a 3800 even though it went on a 2.8L and later 3400.  Shim adjustment was required.
Add two 0 guage ground cables, one from body to head and one from body to block.  Our power cable was already 0 guage and new.

If you still have a problem I'd check to make sure your kill switch hasn't developed too much resistance.  I had one of those die on a project car.

Good luck!

Rusty Tear Racing "Rally" Fiero
2010 Stafford 2011 Summit, Stafford 2012 Loudon, Loudon Class C Win!
2013 Monticello, Loudon, Loudon 2014 NJMP, Loudon 2015 NJMP, Thompson

Header wrap truly does wonders. I bet that would fix most of your problems. Get the lava rock kind it's less ichy. Often the simplest solution is best.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

I used to have a lot of heat problems from my turbo manifold. the best solution that I've found is a can of Techline exhaust coating. Give the exhaust a good sand blasting and apply with an air brush. It cut way down on my underhood temps. I could hold my hand a few inches away from  my turbo manifold comfortably.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!