Re: Need Buick V6 Help

mgbgt89 wrote:
mechimike wrote:

You should be able to find a THM 350 about as easy as turning over a rock.

A chevy one, yes. BOP ones are a little harder to find.

I think the newer, 200-4Rs also swap right in and might be able to be found.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

27 (edited by rmcdaniels 2018-07-24 05:32 PM)

There are a lot of 200-4Rs out there.

Looking at some stuff, the trans in the car has a removable tailshaft housing, which the TH200s of the time do not appear to have, so I'm guessing 350.

I just figured out the u-joint thing, have to order the joint with inside lock rings.

Plastic injection, what a great idea!

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

Plastic injection, what a great idea!

No sure if it was sarcasm but the custom driveshaft guy said they actual tend to last and suggested we keep it for the 1947 Plymouth (came off the Camero).

Mine has apparently lasted since 1977. It's melted Nylon, so hot glue, and we do use a LOT of hot glue on our Lemons cars, but it seems like a PITA compared to a clip.

Is the 200 4R the same length, though?  Might require a driveshaft shortening.

Anyway, the 350 is definitely good news.  Behind that odd-fire 231, with a decent cooler, it should live a thousand races.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Yeah, we're going to baby it the first race. I already went through all of the bearings and ball joints and replaced most of that stuff, as well as replacing all of the brakes, so it rolls/steers/stops well. I replaced the shocks  and put some new coil springs on it. The engine and trans are original (as far as I know), and unless I find anything wrong with them, we're going to change fluids/filters and hope for the best. We'll keep the RPMs low and I'll zip-tie a block to the bottom of the gas pedal to keep anyone from getting racy with it.

32 (edited by chaase 2018-07-25 06:10 AM)

mechimike wrote:

Is the 200 4R the same length, though?  Might require a driveshaft shortening.

Anyway, the 350 is definitely good news.  Behind that odd-fire 231, with a decent cooler, it should live a thousand races.

I am almost positive it is the same length. The main issue from what I can find is you have may cross member bolt hole location issue but length is the same. The 200-4R can be built very strong and has better gearing than the 700-4R

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

It was the carburetor. I got back from Germany yesterday and bolted a new carburetor on to it and it runs well now. I dropped it off at the fabricator this morning for the cage.

I love this part of racing, where stuff is coming together and working and you start thinking that maybe this horrible pile of junk is going to work out okay. It's sad when it all ends about an hour after the green flag.

Thinking about this, since I ordered a big-ass radiator for it anyway and will be taking all the stuff out from in front of the engine, I should just be able to rotate it around and use my TDC stick to see if it is odd-fire or even-fire. If TDC is 90-30-90-30-90-30, then it is odd, and if it's 60-60-60-60-60-60, then it's even, because taking off the oil pan looks like a PITA.

With a big-ass aluminum radiator and an electric fan, it now sits right around 160 degrees all the time, which I'm guessing is thermostat temp.

Cage is in, seat is in, car runs/drives. I think that we're going to make it.

Can't wait to see it.  :-)  Nice work. 

FYI, you may want to research a thermostat restrictor plate.  It's basically a washer that goes in place of the thermostat, it regulates the flow.  Much less likely to break than a t-stat.  We chased overheating issues on our big stupid Murican V8s and after ditching the 'stat and installing a plate, we run sub-200F on the track consistently.

IIRC they're like $8 for a set of varying size openings.  We just used the one with the biggest hole.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

I replaced the tail shaft bushing and seal, so hopefully the trans will stop leaking lots of fluid. The drive shaft is a much tighter fit in the bushing now, no play at all, where the old bushing had a lot of play.

One of the tail shaft housing bolts snapped off in the case, so that will be going back on with three bolts. Hopefully that won't cause problems. I'll soak it in penetrating oil overnight and see if I can work it out with a wrench, but it's pretty corroded.

rmcdaniels wrote:

I replaced the tail shaft bushing and seal, so hopefully the trans will stop leaking lots of fluid. The drive shaft is a much tighter fit in the bushing now, no play at all, where the old bushing had a lot of play.

One of the tail shaft housing bolts snapped off in the case, so that will be going back on with three bolts. Hopefully that won't cause problems. I'll soak it in penetrating oil overnight and see if I can work it out with a wrench, but it's pretty corroded.

Soak it overnight, heat it red hot with a torch, then use a left hand drill bit (it is actually a thing) to drill your tap hole for an easy-out.  I have had pretty good results getting broken bolts out that way.  But, this is a Lemons car, so it will probably cause the entire subframe to fall off the car.....

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, there's still a good threaded piece sticking out of the case, so I was thinking about putting a nut on it, welding it to the screw, which should also get it good and hot, and then trying to back it out. I'm glad I started this car early.

T minus 3 weeks to go to fall CMP!