Re: Fall CMP Race & Bock Party, who is gonna be there, what are you bring?

We solved the bathroom issue by renting an RV for the team.  At 200 bucks per person for the weekend, it's a good deal for a) A/C b) a soft bed c) a place to be out of the rain d) electricity and e) a private shitter and shower. 

It doesn't make the track any smoother, though.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

VKZ24 wrote:
steve wrote:

BTW I heard CMP is in the process to have much of the track repaved and possibly a bit of a reconfigure too But I cannot confirm or deny this, I got it from a Russian friends email that I hacked .

As much as we would all LOVE for that to happen, that rumor has been circling around a long time.  The track has been put up for sale multiple times, so I can't see the current owners investing in big $$$ repave unless they are taking it off the market.

I love CMP, but the track's cheese grater surface is hell on tires, and the bathrooms are crappy on their best day.  I wish Jay would add VIR to the schedule instead.  Their facilities are MUCH nicer, and the track surface is really smooth.  Of course all that mean more $$$, so it sounds like a pipe dream.

CMP has been losing some of it's rental dates due to that reason, but on the flip side, nobody wants to buy a track they have to sink a couple of million into right off the bat. Source I got this from is somewhat reliable but I will need to check with one of my friends who is a co-owner of the track to confirm yah or nay.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

steve wrote:

CMP has been losing some of it's rental dates due to that reason, but on the flip side, nobody wants to buy a track they have to sink a couple of million into right off the bat. Source I got this from is somewhat reliable but I will need to check with one of my friends who is a co-owner of the track to confirm yah or nay.

That would be great news, but I heard a rumor that Lemons is ditching the CMP spring race in 2019 in favor of a possible 2nd date at Road Atlanta.

Anyone else heard this rumor?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
steve wrote:

That would be great news, but I heard a rumor that Lemons is ditching the CMP spring race in 2019 in favor of a possible 2nd date at Road Atlanta.

Anyone else heard this rumor?

Shoot I don't know if thats good or bad, I'm 0-2 going to RA LOL  But actually that is a first class facility I'd love to go back and maybe make it 1-2 at least. BTW what I heard is that they took core samples form the track and the base is pretty good, plans might be to just pave the corners now to save some cash since that where most of the abuse comes from anyway.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

The last Spring race we did at CMP (2017) was fairly lightly attended.  Not sure how this year's was.  Seems like a lot of folks save up for the Fall race, with the parade and whatnot. 

Last time CMP was up for sale, IIRC I heard the price was about $6M.  For a turnkey racing track operation, that's pretty small money, but a repave would run about 1.5-2M extra, and then another minimum 100-200k for some upgraded comfort facilities is almost a requirement, too. 

And in the end, it's still a pancake flat track in the middle of nowhere.  We love it, though.

RA would be 2 hours further from me; conversely VIR would be much closer.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

31 (edited by VKZ24 2018-08-16 08:41 AM)

mechimike wrote:

The last Spring race we did at CMP (2017) was fairly lightly attended.  Not sure how this year's was.  Seems like a lot of folks save up for the Fall race, with the parade and whatnot.

The 2018 spring race only had 60 cars IIRC, but I'm almost positive that CMP is likely _the_ cheapest track to rent on the Lemons schedule.

mechimike wrote:

And in the end, it's still a pancake flat track in the middle of nowhere.  We love it, though.

Yeah, for some reason most tracks aren't built in the middle of a metropolis.  Stupid neighbors, noise ordinances, and all that.

mechimike wrote:

RA was awesome in 2017, even with the snow of test day!  You have to know me to know that id I had a great time with those temps/conditions, it must be an awesome track.  I hate me some cold weather, and hate snow even more, but I can't wait to go back, so if they add a second date in 2019, I'm there. 

RA is a little over 6 hours for us where as CMP in only 3.5 hours, and VIR is just 2 hours. VIR has multiple configurations as you know, and could accommodate us well, but my club runs HPDEs there, and it ain't cheap!

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
mechimike wrote:

The 2018 spring race only had 60 cars IIRC, but I'm almost positive that CMP is likely _the_ cheapest track to rent on the Lemons schedule.

mechimike wrote:

Yeah, for some reason most tracks aren't built in the middle of a metropolis.  Stupid neighbors, noise ordinances, and all that.

mechimike wrote:

RA was awesome in 2017, even with the snow of test day!  You have to know me to know that id I had a great time with those temps/conditions, it must be an awesome track.  I hate me some cold weather, and hate snow even more, but I can't wait to go back, so if they add a second date in 2019, I'm there. 

RA is a little over 6 hours for us where as CMP in only 3.5 hours, and VIR is just 2 hours. VIR has multiple configurations as you know, and could accommodate us well, but my club runs HPDEs there, and it ain't cheap!

Yeah I ran the spring race there with a new local team and the car count was kinda light, total of 62 cars entered, the Block party and it's subsequent delinquent activites tends to draw a larger crowd but we shall see wink

That cheese grater is a hoot, ain’t it? I still remember the first time I lost the rear end in 11/12. The grip SEEMED immense...until it was gone.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

The Lemons schedule still says TBA on method for signing up for the Test and Tune.  Anyone know if pre-registering is a thing and if so, where?

35 (edited by VKZ24 2018-08-17 07:47 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

The Lemons schedule still says TBA on method for signing up for the Test and Tune.  Anyone know if pre-registering is a thing and if so, where?

I'm 99.9999% sure is done through Turn One.  Give them a call.

Captain

So if anyone is tracking any of this stuff (I normally organize Midwest Potluck nights) I just made about ton of 4-cheese mac and chz with smoked sausage for the pig roast Saturday night.  Just looking at it will add an inch to your waist and likely create a (new) 35% blockage in a vital artery.

Anyone know a car count yet?

Captain

doctordel wrote:

That cheese grater is a hoot, ain’t it? I still remember the first time I lost the rear end in 11/12. The grip SEEMED immense...until it was gone.

Well when you drive a POR-SHHHUUUU that is to be expected.

mechimike wrote:

For a turnkey racing track operation...

But it's not a turnkey operation. Repaving the place will run in the 5+ million range. (this ain't a driveway or back country road. Ask VIR how much trouble it is to get pavement to work on a race track.) Plus budget 1-2mil for facility upgrades...

VKZ24 wrote:

I wish Jay would add VIR to the schedule instead.

So would they. If you can get VIR to take that massive stick out of the ass, maybe it could happen. "Because Chump" is not a reason to keep Lemons out. We don't trash Barber, and didn't trash RA, so they can stop worrying about what us "apes" will do to the facilities. They can afford RA (in Dec.), so VIR should be manageable.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

40 (edited by VKZ24 2018-08-20 02:05 PM)

jfbeam wrote:

If you can get VIR to take that massive stick out of the ass, maybe it could happen. "Because Chump" is not a reason to keep Lemons out. We don't trash Barber, and didn't trash RA, so they can stop worrying about what us "apes" will do to the facilities. They can afford RA (in Dec.), so VIR should be manageable.

From our club's HPDE experience at VIR, they are all about the bigger fish and/or check.  I can tell you right now that if Jay called and said we want to run a Lemons race on the weekend of Sept 8-9, 2018, VIR would kick us to the curb.
We have a SIGNED contract, but they have done it to Chump, and they have done it to MAARC folks too.  Why did we have to run in February the last 2-years?  Because they gave our date to BMWCCA who has a bigger checkbook.

I'm certain that CMP is MUCH easier to deal with than VIR, and I'm sure Jay doesn't want to deal with an extra headache just because VIR is a nicer venue.  VIR's track is nice, well cared for, and their corner workers are top notch, but the management is a PITA to deal with.

Speaking of getting hosed, I heard from a local business owner (whose shop is located on Broad Street (HWY 521) that we won't be allowed to block off that section of town for the parade this year.  sad   She said the local businesses are not happy since our crowd brings in extra needed revenue.

Captain

I don't follow.  They're changing the parade route, making it smaller, or....?

I don't understand.  Seems like everyone loves the parade, the businesses make bank, and everyone wins.  It's not like anyone in Camden is going anywhere at that hour on Saturday, and there's plenty of back streets to get around if they are.

mechimike wrote:

I don't follow.  They're changing the parade route, making it smaller, or....?

I don't understand.  Seems like everyone loves the parade, the businesses make bank, and everyone wins.  It's not like anyone in Camden is going anywhere at that hour on Saturday, and there's plenty of back streets to get around if they are.

The business owner didn't understand either, so we're in the same boat.  Apparently the state doesn't want that road (Broad Street) closed.  Hopefully it's all a big misunderstanding.

Captain

Team Corolla Extra Update: My buddy and co owner of the car is having a baby and his girlfriend is making him get out of racing. I bought him out of the car, which left the need for a 4th driver. I searched and searched and had no luck. So I thought I'd call on a former team member and straight up AWESOME guy that we used before, GREG BIFFLE. He's gonna be driving with us at CMP. I'm so stoked it's beyond words. Can't wait to enjoy the block party and race weekend.

Four Stripes, Corolla Extra Motorsports
'83 Toyota Corolla #5
Winner, Class C, Yokohama Good Try, Road Atlanta 2018

44 (edited by VKZ24 2018-08-22 11:47 AM)

steve wrote:

Anybody have a car count yet?

By my count via the current HTML code...125 cars are registered.

Captain

USDA prime will be there again in our Hyundai tiburon.  Since the whiners won out we're being moved to B class but still plan on winning our class. 

What time does the parade and downtown stuff start?

Rubicon79 wrote:

USDA prime will be there again in our Hyundai tiburon.  Since the whiners won out we're being moved to B class but still plan on winning our class. 

What time does the parade and downtown stuff start?

https://24hoursoflemons.com/race/?id=21 … dium=email

kerosenecowboy wrote:

Team Corolla Extra Update: My buddy and co owner of the car is having a baby and his girlfriend is making him get out of racing. I bought him out of the car, which left the need for a 4th driver. I searched and searched and had no luck. So I thought I'd call on a former team member and straight up AWESOME guy that we used before, GREG BIFFLE. He's gonna be driving with us at CMP. I'm so stoked it's beyond words. Can't wait to enjoy the block party and race weekend.

Wasnt he supposed to be building a Lemons car to start his "comeback"?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
kerosenecowboy wrote:

Wasnt he supposed to be building a Lemons car to start his "comeback"?

Yeah he's building a car but it's not been done yet. He's been pretty busy with other things.

'83 Toyota Corolla #5

Who's running the #5 in the race. My car is already decaled for it and i would love to trade you or have you pick something else. I'm offering free beer for your cooperation. Thanks!

'83 Toyota Corolla #5

kerosenecowboy wrote:

Who's running the #5 in the race. My car is already decaled for it and i would love to trade you or have you pick something else. I'm offering free beer for your cooperation. Thanks!

I dropped the parnelli Jones Galaxie from the race. Just put 11 in front of your 5. It’ll be fine.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!