1 (edited by drchuck 2018-07-27 07:24 AM)

Topic: Question - Bringing Two Cars to A Lemons Race

Here is my situation.   We ran a 1990 Nissan Stanza at the July Gingerman Lemons and blew an engine.  We are fixing the Stanza and bought a new 1997 Neon that we are trying to get ready for October.  The Stanza passed tech - we have a new engine so and so it should easy to be ready to race and pass Tech OK.

I have already registered the Nissan for October Gingerman and have our drivers all set.

But what if my new Neon is "done" or "almost done" in October and we would rather race the Neon.  Here is my idea.   Bring the Neon - test it on Friday and decide after a few laps.  Then I would like to take the Neon through Lemons Tech - but if we fail Lemons Tech with the Neon - turn right around and take the Nissan through Lemons Tech.

So we run the Neon if we pass tech (not the car I registered) or run the Nissan of the Neon does not pass Tech.

How might this work?  Can I switch cars at the last minute when my first car does not pass tech?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Severance
Sakai Project Racing
1990 Nissan Stanza
1997 Dodge Neon

Re: Question - Bringing Two Cars to A Lemons Race

I can assure you that you will bring the wrath of hell upon you from Roland if you try to switch car numbers on a race weekend so both cars best have the same number.  Outside of that, it might piss them off a bit and they may flip crap at you but let you do it.  I would put whichever car would likely be classed higher on your official entry so if you do switch it appears you are downgrading.  My wild guess would be the Stanza is a B car and the Neon is an A/B car.  But in reality they may not notice at all.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3 (edited by drchuck 2018-07-27 08:14 AM)

Thanks - I was already going to use the same number for both cars - I know that would gum up the works.  I sure hope our Neon would be a B.

Having also been through that experience, I can state that cheseroo speaks the truth.

You can even switch cars after the race has started even if you've already turned laps in the first car, as long as you ask Roland very politely and do so before switching cars and make it clear that (1) yes, you understand you're keeping the same number and the same transponder and (2) yes, you know you're automatically out of contention for any of the lap-based trophies. Still, it's a way to keep driving for the weekend even after your primary car is out of service. I mean, heck, you're already at the track, so why not?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Wow that is great news and makes a lot of sense.  We are newbies and have zero chance of competing for lap-based trophies - so that is not really an issue.  Thanks.

FWIW many neons go straight to class A (do not pass go) depending on the judge. Phil will put you in A, but if the car is essentially bone stock, Steve or Eric might give you B.

Btw, what kind of neon it is? It sounds like I might actually have somebody willing to drive my rape van to this race with a boatload of spares if you need anything.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

It is a 1997 R/T with the 2.0 magnum head.  Sounds like I should be emotionally prepared for A.  Which is fine.  I can be the slowest car in A or the bottom half of B.  With the drivers on my team, we would have trouble winning C with a 150HP car.  It is kind of a bummer to put Neons with no suspension cheats into A with those Miatas, Camaros, Mustangs and BMWs cheated to the max.  Watevs - in reality I don't care about my class - being on a racetrack with a fun car to drive and a cool theme is all that we care about.  Thanks.

So, the SOHC magnum head is from a 2gn RT ( vin F 2001-2005) whereas the 1gn RT came with the DOHC head (vin Y), both rated at 150 HP. Either way, neons are pretty quick right from the get go. You won't walk away with A class, but a stock neon is plenty capable of challenging for a win in B. They'll probably make you suffer in A for a race or two then drop you to B. It doesn't matter much until you get your team dialed in to compete because the neons take a fair bit of talent and coordination to be competitive as you don't have the benefit of passing many cars on the straight, so you can always just pretend you're losing in B instead of losing in A.

VanillaHaze wrote:

They'll probably make you suffer in A for a race or two then drop you to B. It doesn't matter much until you get your team dialed in to compete because the neons take a fair bit of talent and coordination to be competitive as you don't have the benefit of passing many cars on the straight, so you can always just pretend you're losing in B instead of losing in A.

Take what this guy says with a grain of salt. Professional wiener stepper and Neon racer here. They always put us in A even though we totally suck and would rather smoke meats than take this seriously. Then again, after trying to give Judge Phil Valentine's day chocolates from Wal-Mart maybe we deserve it. Anyway, VanillaHaze isn't completely wrong. He's won class B in a car that won overall a couple times with a previous team that actually knew what they were doing. Just come out and have fun!

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Midwest races are never full so I can't see them caring if you switch cars before tech.  Hell they don't really remember what you put on the entry form anyway.

As long as it passes tech they will even let you run the other car after yours blows up, even if it is just for seat time, its still fun.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

cabinboy wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

They'll probably make you suffer in A for a race or two then drop you to B. It doesn't matter much until you get your team dialed in to compete because the neons take a fair bit of talent and coordination to be competitive as you don't have the benefit of passing many cars on the straight, so you can always just pretend you're losing in B instead of losing in A.

Take what this guy says with a grain of salt. Professional wiener stepper and Neon racer here. They always put us in A even though we totally suck and would rather smoke meats than take this seriously. Then again, after trying to give Judge Phil Valentine's day chocolates from Wal-Mart maybe we deserve it. Anyway, VanillaHaze isn't completely wrong. He's won class B in a car that won overall a couple times with a previous team that actually knew what they were doing. Just come out and have fun!

We raced in B for the better part of two years. You have to have a pretty solid record of blowing up motors to do it though. I would take cabinboy with a grain of salt too; he finished 6th overall in a neon in the rain, so he can't suck that bad.

I think I watched that Neon in 6th at Joliet.   That car was pretty dialed in.  For me - I think the right thing to do is put Neons in B until they win and then promote them.   For us - that will mean "never win".  But really it is about seat time and a fun weekend.