Topic: Oil Cooler question: What about using radiator ATF feature?

The answer is probably simple. but thought I'd ask:

Radiators for automatic application have a section used for transmission fluid to flow through it and shed some heat. What if such a radiator is used in a manual transmission car and instead of leaving the trans cooler portion unused, why not plumb the engine oil through the trans fluid routing?

It probably has something to do with pressure and temperature...

Just curious.

Re: Oil Cooler question: What about using radiator ATF feature?

Neither pressure or temp are of issue, inadequate flow volume is the going to be the problem.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Yea, I thought the issue I'd seen previously is that it's too restrictive and you'd be losing a lot of pressure.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

General rule of thumb that I've seen is that you want oil cooler lines to be equivalent to -10 AN line or larger in order to get proper flow. The A/T cooling lines I've seen are significantly smaller.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Any value in trying to make a manual transmission cooler out of it?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Hmmm. Looking at this

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/engine-oil/

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/automati … fluid-atf/

shows that, yea, ATF has significantly less kinematic viscosity (whatever THAT is) than engine oil at 100 C. I'm going to guess that equates to how well it would move through passages

7 (edited by mechimike 2018-07-30 08:59 AM)

I'd do it, but have a bypass line in parallel so the oil going through the cooler doesn't become a pressure drop.

You could have a line from the oil pan, a small external pump, and a line back to the oil pan, and then you're just cooling oil in the reservoir of the pan.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

I'd do it, but have a bypass line in parallel so the oil going through the cooler doesn't become a pressure drop.

You could have a line from the oil pan, a small external pump, and a line back to the oil pan, and then you're just cooling oil in the reservoir of the pan.

This should work but it does add extra parts that can fail and won't do that much for cooling as it only cools "some" oil, not all.

A stacked plate oil cooler with either -10 or -12 fittings and lines is the way to go and plumb it so that all the oil goes through the cooler either before or after the oil filter.  With stock oil pumps you won't see much of a pressure drop.
I've been racing cars for over 30 years and all of my cars have had oil coolers and  I've had no issues with restriction or oil pressure loss using this size oil lines and coolers.

There are "oil to water" oil coolers, some come stock and there are a few aftermarket units as well  but unless you have a "big" radiator all you're doing is adding heat to the coolant that still has to be gotten rid of.

chaase wrote:

Absolutely ! With a suitable pump and gauge to monitor.

Also can be used to cool power steering fluid.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Just remember that anything you plumb through there will likely wind up the same temp as your coolant. If you're trying to cool certain fluids below that point, better to just get a dedicated cooler for that fluid.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

FWIW, I just wrapped my lips around the port for the ATF and blew and, well, lots of restriction in there. Not sure I'd use it for engine oil. At least not this particular radiator.

Spank wrote:

FWIW, I just wrapped my lips around the port for the ATF and blew and, well, lots of restriction in there. Not sure I'd use it for engine oil. At least not this particular radiator.

Pretty sure this is exactly how NASCAR engineers test oil cooler flow rates.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

If you REALLY want to get all lemonsy with this...

Dumpster-dive yourself a fuel lift pump from a 90s'ish diesel pickup truck and use that as an independent re-circulation pump with pickup and return ports directly welded into the oil pan. You can now use any type of cooler you want; ATF cooler, power steering cooler, AC condenser cooler, etc...This will obviously put zero strain on your existing oiling system. Additionally, you can very easily modulate the oil temperature by manually switching the pump on / off based on oil temps.

The Pentastar whisperer

Team Infinniti wrote:
chaase wrote:

Absolutely ! With a suitable pump and gauge to monitor.

Also can be used to cool power steering fluid.

What is this power steering you speak of?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

That empty reservoir towards the front of the engine with a pulley with no belt on it and a couple of stubby pieces of cut-off rubber hose sticking out of it is called "power steering". Not sure what it does or why they call it that, but that's what I heard.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:
chaase wrote:

That empty reservoir towards the front of the engine with a pulley with no belt on it and a couple of stubby pieces of cut-off rubber hose sticking out of it is called "power steering". Not sure what it does or why they call it that, but that's what I heard.

This quote needs to go somewhere and be immortalized.

TheEngineer wrote:

Just remember that anything you plumb through there will likely wind up the same temp as your coolant. If you're trying to cool certain fluids below that point, better to just get a dedicated cooler for that fluid.

Not only will the coolant keep the oil temperature up but the oil will raise the temperature of the coolant making it warmer also.  Separating it allows each to cool as efficiently as possible.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Not only will the coolant keep the oil temperature up .

This is a thing? Living where it is hot all the time it seems oil is ALWAYS 30deg over coolant (no matter the car or if it is even a racecar)

Team Infinniti wrote:
BoB wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

This is a thing? Living where it is hot all the time it seems oil is ALWAYS 30deg over coolant (no matter the car or if it is even a racecar)

Yes, it's a thing. Often times coolant/oil exchangers are used to help bring the oil up to temp faster when the car is turned on. Then once everything is at temp, they take some of the heat out of the oil. They aren't sized to take all of it out, but some is removed and added to the coolant system load. But bringing the oil up to temp is important in regions where it actually gets cold.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:
BoB wrote:

Yes, it's a thing. Often times coolant/oil exchangers are used to help bring the oil up to temp faster when the car is turned on. Then once everything is at temp, they take some of the heat out of the oil. They aren't sized to take all of it out, but some is removed and added to the coolant system load. But bringing the oil up to temp is important in regions where it actually gets cold.

Thanks!
But I would love to add, WARMING the oil should be of no concern past getting the car to grid and letting it idle or taking it easy during the first laps, I couldn't see over cooling the oil during a race where WOT is frequent.
I may be wrong...

Team Infinniti wrote:

Thanks!
But I would love to add, WARMING the oil should be of no concern past getting the car to grid and letting it idle or taking it easy during the first laps, I couldn't see over cooling the oil during a race where WOT is frequent.
I may be wrong...

Yeah its more of a thing for street use in a cold climate, can't see it ever being needed for Lemons.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

22 (edited by chaase 2018-08-07 11:41 AM)

Team Infinniti wrote:

Thanks!
I may be wrong...

You are not wrong. The oil being too cold is really not an issue for Lemons races.

FWIW, years ago we did dyno testing with dry sump sprint car engines.  Was kind of surprised to see about a 10% HP loss when the oil was merely warm vs at operating temp

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

FWIW, years ago we did dyno testing with dry sump sprint car engines.  Was kind of surprised to see about a 10% HP loss when the oil was merely warm vs at operating temp

Absolutely, when I was drag racing regularly, I had to make sure I warmed the car up sufficiently before the run.