1 (edited by bilcoh 2018-07-30 03:29 PM)

Topic: Noob Questions - Pacific Northwest & First Race at The Ridge

Chief idiot BilCoh here, hell bent on throwing cash into the smoldering tire fire that is Lemons racing.  I've got three additional morons, two of them Mazda mechanics, hell bent on joining me.  So, here's the questions:

1. Mazda Mechanics - What?  They couldn't be Citroen mechanics?  As you might guess, these knuckleheads are insisting on a rotary-engine car.  But hey, at least it won't be a Miata.  How f'ed are we trying to get accepted with an Rx-7?  Note that we're trying NOT to be complete imbeciles, and I hope to avoid building a car first time out.  If entering a Mazda, please advise on required strength of concept:

• A. Extreme - At least 33% of total vehicle weight should come from multiple engines, OR non-performance "accessories" with veiled phallic references.
    B. Middlin' - Dress up a little, don't be completely lame, and have a car that passes tech.  Don't piss anyone off.
    C. Does it Run? - Cause we're not full, so bring your fees.  Pass tech, and still don't piss anyone off.  Oh, and here's a bunch of penalty laps for your trouble.
    prays for B or C

2. The Ridge, Shelton WA, Oct. 13-14 - Anyone know if this race usually fills up?  Since we don't have a car yet, how long can I stall before reg?

3. Provenance - Considering one car that's raced a few times in Lemons previously.  Does this help at all with being accepted?  Already confirmed that the cage is welded.

There you go.  I await being pelted by your wisdom.

BilCoh

Re: Noob Questions - Pacific Northwest & First Race at The Ridge

1. Lemons has never tried holding two races in the same year at The Ridge before, so there's a certain uncertainty as to how that'll go. Still, none of the previous races there have been all that full, including the one that just took place, and it's difficult to imagine that the October race will be more crowded as a result of being a second option this year. My guess is closer to scenario (C), probably even without a great number of penalty laps, but by all means please prepare for (A), particularly the "multiple engines" part. Veiled phallic references would be a refreshing change from overt phallic references, so cover you car in veils and claim it's phallic underneath.

2. My completely unofficial guess is that late registrations are less of an issue here than at certain, say, California-based facilities. The numbers have not been embarrassingly small but, again, it has yet to fill.

3. Getting accepted at The Ridge isn't tough and claiming you have a formerly-raced car won't make a difference on that front, but starting with a used Lemons car may make it easier to get ready on time. Make sure the cage meets the current regs or can be easily modified to do so, as the standards were more lax in the distant past. Has it raced in the last year or so? Then the cage is probably okay or really close to okay. Even so, don't assume it complies with the rules until checking it against them line-by-line.

Are you in the Pacific Northwest? If you indicate where you are, there may be people nearby willing to help and/or to heap abuse on your efforts.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Excellent!  Pelted by wisdom already.  I am grateful for the welts.

First order of business - We're located in Seattle, likely to have the car housed in W. Seattle.  I'd be more specific, but feel certain this will only lead to harassment in person, rather than restricting it to that which I choose to read.

Because we don't have a car yet, we definitely want to focus on making it run reliably.  Not having to over-perform on concept and still get accepted would provide some welcome breathing room.  I swear, on my honor as a second-class Boy Scout, to not construe your statement as an implied acceptance.

The top candidate car we are considering was raced in 2014-2015, so hopefully we're talking "close to ready", and we're especially looking at the cage.  From photos thus far, we think it passes.

Thanks for the quick help,

Dave

You want to be sure to get in. Send them a video of your car running with a dB meter showing below 75dB(A and Z) at 20 feet.

Seriously, they are really getting sick of the screaming bridge ported garbage disposal eating a billiard ball peal of a "High Performance" Mazda Rotor engine.

The last race I was at in late June the ONLY RX7's had all had piston engines swapped into them. A turbo 1.8 Mazdaspeed Miata engine would be a trip!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport