Topic: Main hoop diagonal

Hello building a cage for a friends e30. My question  is on the main hoop  how far from the top corner can the diagonal  be? I have it 9" on center from the center of the main hoop bend where it goes down the b piller.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Re: Main hoop diagonal

Correct answer is send a pic to john pagel tech tyrant.

But for sake of discussion, if you are trying to fit the top of the seat between the hoop at B-pillar and the diagonal, that's generally been permitted.

Too often people find that once they've done their diagonal and hoop that they need to tip their seat back to get a comfortable seating angle but the diagonal is in the way. Good that you are finding this out now and asking the right questions. But as I said, the only REAL answer is send a pic to Pagel. I suggest you include the seat in the pic for reference.

contacting Pagel is the right answer.

Floating around my head is a value of 6" being max you can land the diagonal, but I don't have much to back that up.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

4 (edited by chaase 2018-08-06 11:43 AM)

I don't see anything specific in the rules about the distance. We've always put the diagonal as close to the corner as possible but still able to weld it. I would confirm w/HQ

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

TheEngineer wrote:

contacting Pagel is the right answer.

[/\ this]

Floating around my head is a value of 6" being max you can land the diagonal, but I don't have much to back that up.

6", most likely relating to the _backstays_ ['balloon' text on the various illustrations in "How to Not fail Tech"].

NASA says within 12" and I talked to a tech inspector who will certify the cage for NASA so I think i should be good.

Not to beleaguer the point, but NASA is NASA and Lemons is Lemons.

Good to know that NASA will approve your cage design.

Can you please send john pagel and/or Jeff Glenn and/or Jay Lamm an email with a photo of your plan / desire for your cage diagonal and kindly post his/their response here so that others with the same question in the future can use this thread you started as a reference for their build?

That would be a great asset to add to this Lemons forum.

Thanks.

jay@24hoursoflemons.com

TECH & SAFETY STUFF

John Pagel or Jeff Glenn
pagel@24hoursoflemons.com
jeff@24hoursoflemons.com

I sent John pagel photos he said and I quote "its fine"

Possible to post the approved photos as a guide to others?

i don't know how to post photos or I would have. i'll see if i can figure it out. i think theres a sticky around here somewhere

postimages.org has been suggested; I have used them and have been pleased.

The directions on the website are fairly clear.