1 (edited by kellhounds 2018-08-05 07:51 PM)

Topic: repairs in budgeting.

alright I got a crew put together and a possible car (i refuse to call it a truck) and we're hyped for high planes next year.

the victim in question is an y2k ford ranger with the 2.3l I4, The title says 800 bucks, however it was rear ended and has essentially been the families loaner car for the last 2 years. Now there is a slightly less butt turrible car taking that responsibility.

anyway it either needs the frame stretched or a new tube frame aft of the cab built (serious consideration among the crew) and an alignment at minimum.

I know the safety equipment, and breaks are "free" but what about collision work and alignments?

we're either starting the cut and weld soon, or looking for a new victim. any insights?

Re: repairs in budgeting.

kellhounds wrote:

(i refuse to call it a truck)
anyway it either needs the frame stretched or a new tube frame aft of the cab built (serious consideration among the crew) and an alignment at minimum.

My 02......
I would not opt to go with the tube frame option,as the organizers have this thing they like to refer to as 'OEM crumple zones"...

3.D.2 OE Crush Structures. Modifications that reduce the size and/or effectiveness of OE crush structures — including but not limited to shortening or removing frame rails or unibody structures outside the wheelbase — are discouraged in the strongest possible terms. Cars with compromised OE crush structures are exceedingly likely to fail tech. Non-OE replacement crush structures are not an acceptable substitute; you and your stick welder ain’t NHTSA.

Pound that fucker out as best you can

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Rear frames on the Ranger are bolted/riveted in place if I remember correctly. My neighbor has a shop and sometimes grabs cheap rusty Rangers and gets southern frame rear sections to give them new life. Look into this instead of trying to engineer something (unless you have a PE stamp you can show Jay and John). There also seem to be aftermarket repair sections that may be OEMish...

Thank you mentalgen, doing research now.

So if I am to understand correctly, alignments and collision work does not count to the budget? we're not scared to dig up a craigslist special to do this race. but this guy is an FR with an MT.

maximus fun points.

Meh nobody will be on your case about fixing your frame.

If you want to look legit you can buy another Ranger as a parts heap and frame donor then sell off what you don't use. But, I wouldn't worry too much. Just do the job right and safe and you'll be fine.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport