1 (edited by DaveC 2018-08-11 03:12 PM)

Topic: Lemons SD1 second attempt

Morning all,
By way of introduction, my name is Dave and I got introduced to Lemons through Spank who I know through the mini scene.

I swung wrenches on the mg metro, the Austin America of Peter Barrett and the Hyundai’s first time outing back in what 2016 ish at Arizona.
I then bought the Metro from spank and drove it from CA to KY via Houston, where I stopped in Texas to drive the mighty Lebanon Landau on its inaugural outing.

I stopped at Peters on the way north from Houston, and it seems Peter has a very expensive hotel, as I ended up paying $1500 for spending the night and  in return took possession of a pair of SD1s - one of them being the white #60 that Rich chesavage bought to Utah many years ago. The plan is to sell the “spare” rover, and many of the parts that came with them, so in theory to make the white one as cheap as possible.

Anyway, I guess that’s enough “non technical” drivel for now. I’m Slowly working on the white SD1, which is getting a set of huge front brakes with a new master cyl, 17” x 7 wheels from a wrangler, a budget T5 swap using a late V6 mustang trans ($60)  and auto bell housing from a discovery cobbled to the T5. It will stay Rover V8 - ironically still  One of my least favorite engines of all time, in spite of owning many LandRover’s, range rovers and Rover saloons in England over the years.

Oh, and I think I’ll be joining several of you in Texas late this year (not in the SD1 though)!

Re: Lemons SD1 second attempt

Welcome to the Rover family!

We had a lot of fun with Super GRover which is a P6-3500S. We did the T5 conversion a couple of years ago and it definitely helped the reliability. The auto-trans was not very reliable in the P6 and it has been better with the T5.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I just rebuilt an LT77 out of a 1980 SD1.  Broken oil pump, bad 2nd gear syncho and a worn out shifter forks.  Not a robust unit. On this basis I am also an advocate of the T5.

FWIW, the spare LT77 that I threw in the back of that SD1 makes noise but still shifts ok.  Fairly certain sure the plastic oil pump gears took a dump in it.  Also useless trivia, the primary difference between the TR7 & TR8/SD1 LT77 appears to be the bellhousing and the TO bearing pivot.  Those pivots are apparently hard to find.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I’ve been a fan of the T5 for many years from my experiences with the cossies. I love that they are lightweight, totally rebuildable, parts are easy to come by, that they unbolt from the bell housing (makes easy to swap out a trans) and of course the nice round pilot on the bell housing that makes it easy for crazies like me who want to adapt other wacky bell housings onto it.

Rich,
I’m going to part out the transmissions that were in the Rover. I had a little interest locally, but nothing major. They are worth more (which is what’s important on the Lemons cost tally) in pieces.