Re: CMP - Hurricane

Mechimike - where are you out of?  I'd the race is a "go" i'm headed down from Raleigh Friday morning in a tow pig with nothing in tow, and would be happy to assist in helping you get there

Just let me know

smiller wrote:

Mechimike - where are you out of?  I'd the race is a "go" i'm headed down from Raleigh Friday morning in a tow pig with nothing in tow, and would be happy to assist in helping you get there

Just let me know

I'm up in Maryland.  Yet another reason I think we're going to sit it out- the Hurricane is forecast to track up basically my whole route home.  Driving through a hurricane is bad enough.  Driving through a hurricane with a loaded trailer is not something I want to try.

Appreciate the offer, though.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Yeah.  HQ may not cancel the race as the storm is projected to go north of the track and be over to allow racing on Sunday.  But man that makes it worse as that's where we have to tow and be on roads at the height of the storm (Thursday night/Friday).

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

mechimike wrote:
smiller wrote:

Just let me know

I'm up in Maryland.  Yet another reason I think we're going to sit it out- the Hurricane is forecast to track up basically my whole route home.  Driving through a hurricane is bad enough.  Driving through a hurricane with a loaded trailer is not something I want to try.

Appreciate the offer, though.

I'm also up in MD and am still planning on towing down the the race.  Thinking about taking I-81 down to keep West of the really nasty stuff.  I leave on Thursday around 5 AM so the hope is things won't be too terrible when I arrive in SC O.o

It's not just the getting there that's the problem.  It's also the getting home.  The storm will likely still be around on Sunday night, just further east and north. 

Our logistics have basically all gone to shit.  One of our drivers is in northern VA, and the other in Raleigh...the plan was for me to make stops to pick them both up, spend the night in Raleigh, and head to the track Friday.  Now the forecast for Friday morning in Raleigh is 50 mph winds and 5 inches of rain.  Raleigh driver has already said he is going to stay home to be with his wife and kid during the storm. 

Friday's forecast for the track is rain and 20-30 mph winds.  So the carport wouldn't be able to go up, so everything would get wet.  The parade/party will likely get cancelled.  Saturday and Sunday are forecast to get 3 inches of rain.  That does not sound like fun. 

A friend of mine who works in ATC in the southeast told me he will be very bored this weekend.  That is, a LOT of flights are going to be grounded- including a lot of people flying into Charlotte to get to the track.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

When will the final decision be made? Either way I dont see the block party happening so i guess BS inspection will be done at the track if its canceled? 

In less than 48 hours we've got to be on the road if its happening so this is cutting it pretty damn close.

32 (edited by RobL 2018-09-11 07:33 AM)

Here is what was shared via email (9/10 @ 18:23 EST):

1) We always try to race and, within reason, terrible weather won't stop us.
Right now, we still expect this race to happen.

2) While it's way too early to make realistic predictions, Camden is 130 miles inland so its weather outlook isn't too bad at the moment. That may change for the better or worse--we're absolutely keeping an eye on it.

3) I'll keep talking to CMP boss David Watkins daily. Right now he's fairly upbeat for Saturday/Sunday and less thrilled for the Friday parade. Just like me, though, he stresses it's still way too early to know.

4) If we're all pretty lucky, by late Wednesday or early Thursday we might be able to lock this all down. Past weather hassles have kept us guessing a bit longer, but all except one had a positive result in the end. No matter what happens, the instant we know something legit, we'll share it.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

33 (edited by proto17 2018-09-11 08:00 AM)

mechimike wrote:

It's not just the getting there that's the problem.  It's also the getting home.  The storm will likely still be around on Sunday night, just further east and north. 

Our logistics have basically all gone to shit.  One of our drivers is in northern VA, and the other in Raleigh...the plan was for me to make stops to pick them both up, spend the night in Raleigh, and head to the track Friday.  Now the forecast for Friday morning in Raleigh is 50 mph winds and 5 inches of rain.  Raleigh driver has already said he is going to stay home to be with his wife and kid during the storm. 

Friday's forecast for the track is rain and 20-30 mph winds.  So the carport wouldn't be able to go up, so everything would get wet.  The parade/party will likely get cancelled.  Saturday and Sunday are forecast to get 3 inches of rain.  That does not sound like fun. 

A friend of mine who works in ATC in the southeast told me he will be very bored this weekend.  That is, a LOT of flights are going to be grounded- including a lot of people flying into Charlotte to get to the track.

Yikes, I hadn't really given much thought to the trip back.  Kinda assumed things would be blown pretty far north by the time.  I'll have to keep an eye on the return trip.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: The winds are my main concern at the race.  If I can't put my canopy up then the team has no cover from rain except sitting in cars which isn't fun at all.  I bought a bunch of extra tent steaks to try and hold things down, but 30 MPH winds will just bend the frame to bits sad  We've delt with a lot of rain (NJ last year) so we're prepped for that part.

smiller wrote:

Just let me know

No offense, but this sounds like a bad idea.  I live Raleigh adjacent and we are pretty much writing this race off right now with current storm predictions.  Tropical storm level winds could be in our area as soon as 8AM Thursday morning: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi … 4#contents

There is no way we're going to tow our race car in those kind of winds.

mechimike wrote:

Yeah, in addition to not wanting to leave our families behind in this storm, this is a serious concern for us.  A still present storm along with flooded roads and downed trees, it could be one hell of a trip home.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

35 (edited by Fishah 2018-09-11 08:59 AM)

They're talking about two feet of rain guys.... How the f is that gonna be raceable? That's a mind boggling amount of precipitation.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Fishah wrote:

They're talking about two feet of rain guys.... How the f is that gonna be raceable? That's a mind boggling amount of precipitation.

At least for Kershaw I've only seen (from weather.com) something like 2-3 inches of rain from Friday to Sunday.

Waiting for a hurricane is like being stalked by a killer turtle.

proto17 wrote:
Fishah wrote:

At least for Kershaw I've only seen (from weather.com) something like 2-3 inches of rain from Friday to Sunday.

Ah ok that's much better. I'm 2500 miles away, so my facts may be a bit out-of-touch.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

We just called and cancelled our RV rental.  The people were understanding- they refunded the deposit.  Probably because they were grateful we wouldn't be parking their rig in the middle of a flood plane inundated by flying carport pieces.  I cancelled the truck rental I'd made for the weekend, too.  No charges.

So, worst case, if the race goes on despite the storm, we'll be out $1380 divided by four guys, or $345 each.

Fishah wrote:

Last year we had this little storm called Harvey roll through my area.  When it began Saturday evening, we were at a friends house.  Within 15 minutes we could not get out of their subdivision.  We were stuck at there place until Tuesday when the rain finally stopped.

Don't go, stay home, watch it from the safety of your house.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

The new forecast I saw was tropical storm conditions Saturday and thunderstorms for Sunday. 

Racing in the rain is fine but dealing with 30 mph winds would make the pit area useless.  Watching all the catch pans blowing across the track while trying to fuel is gonna be awesome. 

Seems like waiting till Thursday to make the call is a little late.  We have to be on the way by then to make it.

Alright, "Sasha says", our Sentra + 3 drivers are unlikely to go down due to a fat tow rig under threat of likely winds/flooding in VA/NC going both up and down, and I told Hillary not to push her luck until Saturday unless a miracle happens (and maybe stay home altogether).

That leaves me and NSF. I'm boarding a plane out of Dulles on Wednesday night. If Bob deems it to be too dangerous to take two of his progeny into the heart of a hurricane for a very wet race, I'll be sitting in Cocoa drinking whiskey until I can catch a flight back.

To be honest, now that the parade is a no-go and the paddock will have a foot of standing water in it, I'm not too thrilled. I was gonna do either CMP or NHMP this fall, picked CMP for the parade and party/BBQ.

K Car Stalker

Remember how drenched the track got just from a 30 minute downpour in Spring of '17?  We lost hours of track time just for that.  If current weather predictions hold, this is going to be an exercise in futility, no matter how optimistic the latest communique from Lemons HQ might seem.

If they do decide to go ahead, but then only have the track open for a few hours, say 3 a day, which could happen, do they give any partial reimbursement since that's a pretty crappy race?

Anyone have tips for anchoring pavilions/canopies in windy conditions?  I purchased some 18" steaks and some that screw into the ground.  I also have walls for my pavilion so I'm thinking that it will help keep the whole thing from trying to take off.  Thoughts?

45 (edited by n0m4d 2018-09-11 01:30 PM)

proto17 wrote:

Anyone have tips for anchoring pavilions/canopies in windy conditions?  I purchased some 18" steaks and some that screw into the ground.  I also have walls for my pavilion so I'm thinking that it will help keep the whole thing from trying to take off.  Thoughts?

Use ratchet straps to tether the upper frame corners to your spare wheels/tires (or one strap from the center to a wheel in the middle of the ezup).  Skip the stakes, this works and uses stuff that you already should have lying around.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

n0m4d wrote:
proto17 wrote:

Use ratchet straps to tether the upper frame corners to your spare wheels/tires (or one strap from the center to a wheel in the middle of the ezup).  Skip the steaks, this works and uses stuff that you already should have lying around.

Oh yeah, forgot about the tires and boxes upon boxes of parts and tools.  We've had issues with the larger pavilion (10' x 15' http://a.co/d/j5sZtTg) dancing around even with tires and boxes.  So I'll def use the tires and boxes first, but might have to add additional rigging with the steaks. 

I have to assume that any canopy without walls is going to be useless at this event.  I'm assuming that the wind is going to be changing direction a lot too.  Gonna be an interesting event!

The way NOAA quotes wind speeds is as a one-minute average. 30 MPH quoted winds will include faster short gusts. 40-50 MPH, who knows? Plus if there is rain mixed in, that's a higher density fluid = higher force. Stay safe out there people.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

n0m4d wrote:
proto17 wrote:

Use ratchet straps to tether the upper frame corners to your spare wheels/tires (or one strap from the center to a wheel in the middle of the ezup).  Skip the stakes, this works and uses stuff that you already should have lying around.

Use the wheels and tires, and cook the steaks and eat em!

Butt Sweat & Beers.

I mean, you gotta use your best judgement here.  With hurricane force winds, maybe it's best to put the canopy away.  With the torrential summer t-storms we tend to get here in the Northeast, the tires/strap method has served us well.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

This is not a NJ thunderstorm.  It is an extremely serious threat.  If you make it to CMP, getting home may be all but impossible.  A CAT 4 is a totally different kettle of fish. Also--30mph winds with pine trees does not end well.  May want to bring a chainsaw so you can get home.