1 (edited by bilcoh 2018-09-17 03:53 PM)

Topic: Our Crappy, One-Car, Lemons Rally - Lansing to Seattle

With Bad-Decision-Mode fully engaged, We Four Idiots from the Northwest (Team WeFIN for now) are less than 2 weeks from taking delivery of our new-to-us Lemons racer.  Being extremely SMART, we listened to all you jokers and bought a car that's previously passed Lemons Tech TWICE!!  Plus, it even finished it's first Lemons event, like a boss!  Then it DID NOT finish it's second race.  But hey, the seller already rebuilt the engine, so what could go wrong.

Even though we were so SMART, we also felt, let's say, unchallenged.  And cheap.  To ensure properly initiating levels of aggravation and suffering required of any new team, we've opted to drive the car from Michigan to Seattle.  We may, perhaps, also have no appreciation for the value of time.

https://i.imgur.com/htKqP22.jpg

Said car will be loaded with 2 drivers, personal gear, a spare engine, tranny, diff, other miscellaneous engine bits, two unused tires, and all front end bodywork (hood, fenders, bumper surround assembly.  As our new steed is topless with a massively tall roll cage, we anticipate looking like a cross between a Chinese junk and Jed Clampett as we cross the northern prairies.  We anticipate a 100% chance of being questioned by local authorities in at least 5 of the 9 states we will explore on our great adventure.

Special thanks in advance to LeMonation members Michael Krezner, Scott Booth and Marc Furhman.  Comprising our LBDSN (Lemons Bad Decision Support Network), they'll likely ignore the strange call from a 206 number while we travel west through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.  After that....we're F'd anywhere west of Fargo.  Lucky for me, that'll be when we've handed the car off to idiots 3 & 4, who are young AND professional mechanics, and thus ideally suited for this leg of the journey. 

Having procured a gaggle of GoPros, we endeavor to record, as a cautionary tale, our exploits.  We may decide to also go all TWEEN on everyone and do Instagram or some other nonsense. 

Watch this space for updates.

Re: Our Crappy, One-Car, Lemons Rally - Lansing to Seattle

Subscribed. Let me know when you're coming through Chicago.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Can’t wait!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Woohoo!  We're being followed!! 

Eric, we're flying into Detroit Thursday evening, 9/27.  If Darko is burning the midnight oil on his Viperoyce, which he almost will with 2 weeks till Gingerman, we hope to pop by for a quick visit. 

Friday, 9/28 is finally seeing our new-old car, checking it over and prepping for the road trip, including loading all the spares and setting up cameras.  We expect a full day, so we'll stay locally Friday night.

Saturday, 9/29 - Westward HO!  The plan is to put in 500 miles, maybe getting to Eau Claire.  So, passing Chicago mid-day that Saturday, hopefully.

Sunday, 9/30 - Forge ahead to Brainerd International Raceway, where we park the car in BIRPerformance's garage for 3 days while we take their SCCA licensing school. 

Thursday, 10/4 - Hand the car off to our teammates, the pro Mazda mechanics, who are charged with crossing the great northern prairies.  Godspeed, good buddies.

Sat/Sun, 10/6 or 10/7- Because our plan and timeline cannot fail, car arrives to great fanfare in Seattle.   Parade ensues.

Want us to wave as we go by Chicago?  Contemplating a detour into the city for some beauty shots with the Stainless Kidney Bean or other lakefront attractions.  Just imagine it!!

https://i.imgur.com/wJpaNYz.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

bilcoh wrote:

Woohoo!  We're being followed!! 

Eric, we're flying into Detroit Thursday evening, 9/27.  If Darko is burning the midnight oil on his Viperoyce, which he almost will with 2 weeks till Gingerman, we hope to pop by for a quick visit. 

Friday, 9/28 is finally seeing our new-old car, checking it over and prepping for the road trip, including loading all the spares and setting up cameras.  We expect a full day, so we'll stay locally Friday night.

Saturday, 9/29 - Westward HO!  The plan is to put in 500 miles, maybe getting to Eau Claire.  So, passing Chicago mid-day that Saturday, hopefully.

Sunday, 9/30 - Forge ahead to Brainerd International Raceway, where we park the car in BIRPerformance's garage for 3 days while we take their SCCA licensing school. 

Thursday, 10/4 - Hand the car off to our teammates, the pro Mazda mechanics, who are charged with crossing the great northern prairies.  Godspeed, good buddies.

Sat/Sun, 10/6 or 10/7- Because our plan and timeline cannot fail, car arrives to great fanfare in Seattle.   Parade ensues.

Want us to wave as we go by Chicago?  Contemplating a detour into the city for some beauty shots with the Stainless Kidney Bean or other lakefront attractions.  Just imagine it!!

https://i.imgur.com/wJpaNYz.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

I would avoid the city like the plague unless you plan on going during lunch on a weekday. Any other time and you're gonna be in fk'd traffic. I've had my Lemons car die in Chicago traffic on more than one occasion and it's not super enjoyable.

You can't get your car close to the bean anyway...

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

There is no fail in this plan!

And I'll do my best to remember that ya'll are passing through October 4th-5th.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Ya know, you really need a backup car. Can't go wrong with this one.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36689

Obligatory - https://youtu.be/SmHeP9Sve48

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

OK, but only if you stop calling me Shirley!

You guys REALLY should re-evaluate your route and consider going through the UP of Michigan instead. Chicago is going to suck no matter how you schedule it while the UP will be a breeze.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

You guys REALLY should re-evaluate your route and consider going through the UP of Michigan instead. Chicago is going to suck no matter how you schedule it while the UP will be a breeze.

+1

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Bayley wrote:

I'm not really sure that we have time to modify the car into being a boat, but perhaps we can try. Rotaries have cooling issues anyway, perhaps a little water would be good for it. Anyone have an outboard engine we can borrow? Anyone raced a boat-car that actually floats at Lemons yet?

Taking that under advisement.  A bit concerned about heading straight into the wilderness.  All our offered support is under the lake.

14 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-09-18 05:07 PM)

You do not go "through" Chicago and I80 all the way to I39 can avoid 99% of Chicago-related issues.  You still have the interchange at IN/IL border but mostly smooth sailing after that.  Your navigation will not suggest it, but I do.

OnkelUdo wrote:

You do not go "through" Chicago and I80 all the way to I39 can avoid 99% of Chicago-related issues.  You still have the interchange at IN/IL border but mostly smooth sailing after that.  Your navigation will not suggest it, but I do.

I agree with this and it's usually the route I take when heading home from the Michigan races. It can still be a bit bumper to bumper during the typical rush hour times, but is usually not bad.

The other option of course is to wait until around midnight. Both I90 and I94 have pretty light traffic during those hours. You still have to put up with a lot of tolls though.

Well, if for some reason, the car turtles and you're still close to the west side of Michigan, I have a shop by Holland (near Lake MI). Would be glad to try and help.

Team BAD Company Endurance
Acura RSX #0
4 times losers, and counting...
"I got screwed" winners? 2018 Cure for Gingervitis, 5th on laps overall 2018 Elite meet to Cheat

Ah, you bought Ed's old RX-7! He works on real race cars, so that one was reasonably well cared for, I think. Maybe.

Anyway, agreed that your best course of action is probably [I-80 to I-39], although if you come through early enough [I-80 to I-355 to I-90] might not be too bad, though you'll get stuck with at least $5 in tolls. The upside of going through the western suburbs instead of bypassing the whole metro area is that there are tons of teams and friendly help along I-355 and I-90, plus more parts stores.

However you're coming through, just shoot me an email with a rough time and I'll see if I can buy you idiots a cup of coffee somewhere near the route.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Thanks for the tips, guys.  We're planning to leave the Lansing area bright and early, around 7am on Saturday.  Is it still a suck-fest on Sat. morning?  Offsetting all your great suggestions for alternate routes is the prospect of smoked brisket for lunch at a friends in Schaumburg.  I guess the 80-355-90 route would take us right there, though.

Yes, therood, Ed's been awesome and we can't wait to meet him.  We were very excited to find the full build blog on the car going back to when he got it in 2012.  I'm sure we'll find it's warts, though.

Rustyjeep - Thanks for the offer.  I'll PM you for some contact details.

bilcoh wrote:

Thanks for the tips, guys.  We're planning to leave the Lansing area bright and early, around 7am on Saturday.  Is it still a suck-fest on Sat. morning?  Offsetting all your great suggestions for alternate routes is the prospect of smoked brisket for lunch at a friends in Schaumburg.  I guess the 80-355-90 route would take us right there, though.

Yes, therood, Ed's been awesome and we can't wait to meet him.  We were very excited to find the full build blog on the car going back to when he got it in 2012.  I'm sure we'll find it's warts, though.

Rustyjeep - Thanks for the offer.  I'll PM you for some contact details.

That's Judge Rood or Eric the (not really) Great to you, buddy.

The Western Burbs are less a hassle that time on that day most of the time BUT that is assuming no semi roll-overs, random acts of sniper (been months, they are due) or just some festival no one has ever heard of.

As said before, you can always crash at my place just before CHI if you want a few hours of sleep then roll out at like 6 AM mening you will be rounding the horn about 7 AM and I have yet to see a weekend issue that early.

20 (edited by bilcoh 2018-09-19 05:04 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

That's Judge Rood or Eric the (not really) Great to you, buddy.

https://i.imgur.com/MYVm9pp.jpg

Please, your holiness.  I am but a stranger in your land.  I know not your traditions and name calling.  Yet even in my ignorance, I sense I am in the presence of great power.

Forgive your humble servant, Judge Rood the (not really) Great.  Have Mercy!!!

And thanks to you, kind OnkelUdo of the many, many posts.  I am forever indebted.

21 (edited by bilcoh 2018-09-23 08:54 PM)

Who said they wanted to see some video of our crappy rally?

https://i.imgur.com/VFO6UOP.jpg

Will that suffice? 

See, we are SMART and our plan is bulletproof:
1. Fly to Detroit, drive to car
2. Kick tires, pay seller
3. Load with spare engine, trans, diff, entire set of front bodywork, other shit
4. Drive two days to Minnesota
5. Hand off car to guys with bigger balls than we have
6. Wave goodbye as they head west past Fargo
7. Welcome large-balled teammates to Seattle
8. Drink beer

It's so simple, we feel compelled to add more Lemony goodness.  We figured a cobbled-together video system of borrowed junk should cover it. 

Any requests for Carpool Karaoke?

Judges, got a favorite song?

We’re in Detroit.

Here’s the thing. We’re pretty sure that the car’s gonna be flawless because every other shit thing is going to go wrong.  To date:

1. Co-idiot wanted to keep important things like tools, his helmet and new driving shoes with him. Turns out TSA isn’t a fan of wrenches or tire plug kits that are basically ice picks with a comfortable handle. Go figure. So, idiot gets to stand in line again to check a SECOND bag.

2.  Previously noted bag does NOT make the flight, a fact we discover when the conveyor belt stops.  It’ll come in tomorrow, but since we can’t be pinned down for a 6 hour stretch tomorrow for delivery, we get to make the hour drive back to DTW to retrieve it.

3.  We get to the rental car counter to find 30 customers and 2 agents.
https://i.imgur.com/1TLT76k.jpg
Thanks Budget! Wait time?  Over an hour.

So, we’re trying to make Lemonade here.  It might allow a possible meet up with Darko and the Viperoyce. 

Stay tuned.

Yeah, you gotta check the bag of tools when you're flying to fetch a car.

Pick up a carry-on-sized suitcase at the thrift store for $4 and throw the essentials in it. You have 50 pounds to work with.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Yeah, you gotta check the bag of tools when you're flying to fetch a car.

Pick up a carry-on-sized suitcase at the thrift store for $4 and throw the essentials in it. You have 50 pounds to work with.

The man speaks from experience.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Well, seeing that I didn't receive a call from them yesterday, I assume they made it out of Minnesota alright. That or they froze to death...