Topic: Advice on building a rear bulkhead

My team has been accepted for the Houston race in November.  Now I'm sweating, reading and re-reading the rules so we won't fail tech!

We've got an '01 Accord coupe where the trunk is open to the passenger compartment.   We're using the OE fuel system, and there's a fuel pump access door in the trunk.  I asked Jeff Glenn about it, and he said,"It would be a good idea to close that off and would increase your chances of passing tech."   

1.  If I build a bulkhead, are there rules about the gauge metal I should use?  I wanted to use the lightest I can because it's easy to work with.

2.  Instead of building a bulkhead, could I seal off the access panel with a plate riveted in place? (which is 1000x simpler than a bulkhead).

Thanks!

Re: Advice on building a rear bulkhead

1. No
2. Maybe

On 2 I would just secure a large SS salad bowl over it if you can do so without penetrating the tank, fuel lines or wires with your fasteners.

The bowl idea is pretty cool.  Have you ever seen anyone do that before?

Not for a fuel pump access panel but for a carb conversion on a Squareback VW.  When you get rid of the D-jet fuel injection and put on a Weber most people buy a little box you can pop-rivet in place on the engine cover (in the load area of the station wagon) but this guy just used a big bowl...because he had one.

Photo??

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

The access panel isn't a metal plate covering the tank?

Accord, Civic, and a lot of Honda and Acura models have that access door either in the trunk or in the rear seat area. Easiest solution is to go your local pick and pull and get a stock plate cover and screw it in place. If you can't get a stock cover then just create a simple plate cover. You don't need to build a bulkhead for an OE fuel system.

I have always been careful to plug the large holes in pans, floors, and trunks of all the chassis I've built to keep out exhaust fumes if nothing else. I do use a screwdriver and hammer to poke small holes to let the water out of low points.

moparfan wrote:

Accord, Civic, and a lot of Honda and Acura models have that access door either in the trunk or in the rear seat area. Easiest solution is to go your local pick and pull and get a stock plate cover and screw it in place. If you can't get a stock cover then just create a simple plate cover. You don't need to build a bulkhead for an OE fuel system.

I have always been careful to plug the large holes in pans, floors, and trunks of all the chassis I've built to keep out exhaust fumes if nothing else. I do use a screwdriver and hammer to poke small holes to let the water out of low points.

I'm such a total noob/doofus, I thought that I needed a bulkhead because the fuel pump access is visible from the passenger area.

I'm just using the stock fuel system, so I'm good to go.

Thanks everyone.

As long as you have the factory (or equivalent) metal cover, you're good to go.